Burning Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Burning Pain

Hey, all.

On Sunday I walked for about 15 minutes then went grocery shopping (yes, I pushed the cart). I started to feel some pain in the grocery store. The pain is kind of in my groin area, and it's kind of a burning sensation, as opposed to sorenss. I had an SAH, and the pain is nowhere near my external incision.

I've been sitting with an ice pack on the area for the last hour and that seems to be help.

Has anyone else ever had a burning type of pain? I hope I haven't done any serious damage...... Also can't sleep. I'm a mess. I've had a bad couple of days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Re: Burning Pain

How long ago was your surgery? Mine was 3 1/2 weeks ago. Felt great at 3 weeks. Now I have the same symptoms you - burning pain low in my abdomen. The day before it started I went on a long car ride and was on my feet alot. Hurts most when I stand up from sitting or laying, then diminishes a bit. Had this pain 4 days now. Seeing the Dr. tomorrow.

Does applying pressure to your abdomen with a pillow or your hands help?

AJ
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2427 View Post
How long ago was your surgery? Mine was 3 1/2 weeks ago. Felt great at 3 weeks. Now I have the same symptoms you - burning pain low in my abdomen. The day before it started I went on a long car ride and was on my feet alot. Hurts most when I stand up from sitting or laying, then diminishes a bit. Had this pain 4 days now. Seeing the Dr. tomorrow.

Does applying pressure to your abdomen with a pillow or your hands help?

AJ
I'm at 13 days post-op. Applying pressure doesn't seem to help, or maybe I'm not applying enough pressure.

However, the ice pack seemed to make a difference. I have one that is large enough to lay across my entire belly area, so I just put everything on ice out of desperation! This morning I feel much better. I still feel fragile at best, but at least I'm not in active pain. I'm just moving slowly and trying not to do too much. Sigh.

Please let me know what your doc says. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM

I bet you did too much. I had that terrible burning pain last week, after I had done way too much. In my defense, I did not have a good check out from the hospital and did not know entirely what I was not supposed to do. The nurse at my docs office said that pain is from doing too much.

Take it easy. We are not even 2 weeks out yet. I am going stir crazy, but every time I do too much, I kick myself and hope I haven't done any damage.

Hang in there.
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli.sunshine View Post
I bet you did too much. I had that terrible burning pain last week, after I had done way too much. In my defense, I did not have a good check out from the hospital and did not know entirely what I was not supposed to do. The nurse at my docs office said that pain is from doing too much.

Take it easy. We are not even 2 weeks out yet. I am going stir crazy, but every time I do too much, I kick myself and hope I haven't done any damage.

Hang in there.
You're right, Alli. I think that burning pain was enough to slow me down.
But like you I am going stir crazy. I'm trying to resist the urge to vacuum right now, but it's not easy! A co-worker is dropping off dinner this evening, so maybe I'll put her to work.
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:38 AM

That lovely burning pain is the body saying "What do you think you are doing! I'm trying to heal! Stop it!" I'm 7 weeks and still get it once in a while. Please, don't vacuum, my Dr. advised that should be the last activity added as it uses the muscles in the lower abdomin. Ice always helped me after overdoing. Continue the good recovery. I found dusting and swiffering made me feel like I was doing something and didn't cause pain in those early weeks.
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:59 AM

My surgery was the day before yours, and I know exactly what you're talking about! It's so hard to just sit...I also went grocery shopping & pushed the cart, carried a small load of laundry and pulled a couple of weeds while sitting outside - no straining. That night and for two days afterwards, I had a terrible aching and buring in my groin area and some abdominal pain.

Needless to say, I've been pampering myself since. We all know better - and should consider ourselves lucky that we feel good enough to do something and let it go at that.
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:20 AM

All these posts are so familiar! Here are a few activities i think got me in trouble: opening the windows (they are kind of tight). Be careful if you do this - never realized that uses abs big time. Bending over to ties shoes. Getting up / sitting down - go slow!

Hope you all do well recovering. Be careful - you don't realize you've done too much until its too late!

AJ
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Thank you ladies for the wonderful & practical advice. I had my TAH/BSO July 23 and now at 11 days out starting to up my activity. The messy house is driving me nuts too but good to know what I should/should not do, especially the fact you don't feel the worst until next day.
Anyone mastered coughing/sneezing without causing extreme sharp pain at the internal sites?? tried pressure, pillow etc, but can't seem to avoid the intense pain which then lasts a while.
good recovery to you all!
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Funny that you mention sneezing. I read a suggestion on this site a couple of days ago that you should say "cauliflower" and the need to sneeze will go away.

This morning I had to sneeze. I panicked thinking about the pain that was surely to come, and then I said cauliflower, and sure enough, the urge to sneeze vanished!

I can't remember who posted the suggestion, but thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register