I have option to keep or remove cervix; thoughts?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have option to keep or remove cervix; thoughts?? I have option to keep or remove cervix; thoughts??

Unread 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM
I have option to keep or remove cervix; thoughts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestyfelix View Post
I had mine removed because I didn't want a chance of mini periods, cervical cancer,etc. I am 10 days post-op and everything seems fine. As a matter a fact I have had 2 "sex" dreams since surgery. TMI I know, but I woke up with an orgasm both times and they were pretty darn good. So thus far I haven't had a problem in that area.
I ditto the TMI. A few days post op (they removed cervix) I woke having an orgasm. I actually worked to suppress it because I didn't want to risk any issues. My doc only said "nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks", but I've read others say that their surgeons put them on total pelvic rest including no orgasms. But everything seems fine and I was relieved to know that I would still be able to orgasm, at least in my dreams lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Re: I have option to keep or remove cervix; thoughts??

My cervix was removed and I couldn't be happier about it. I was not given the option but had I had the choice, it would have been gone either way. Orgasms are not an issue at all and I'm a mulitple kind of gal. They are actually more intense now. I used to have uterine/cervix contractions with orgasms. Those, of course, are now gone but my body has compensated and I now have contractions with other muscles...if that makes any sense. lol!
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeemer View Post
My cervix was removed and I couldn't be happier about it. I was not given the option but had I had the choice, it would have been gone either way. Orgasms are not an issue at all and I'm a mulitple kind of gal. They are actually more intense now. I used to have uterine/cervix contractions with orgasms. Those, of course, are now gone but my body has compensated and I now have contractions with other muscles...if that makes any sense. lol!

I know what you mean by compensation. I always had strong uterine contractions, of course can't now but I noticed muscles around the area were contracting. It's very hard to explain but it sure felt nice. I figure if they are this good at only 10 days, I can't wait to see what it is at 6-8 weeks. My Dr. told me on my one week check that I would not believe how much better sex is going to be now that all the bad stuff is gone. I do believe he is right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM

So, Dweebie, if you have a LAVH, you have to have it removed?
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:26 PM

ReadyOrNot 13- Yes, your cervix is removed if you have a LAVH...I questioned my Dr. & read what I could (on this site & google). Since your cervix is your "neck" of the uterus, they take it all. They will stitch the part where the cervix was to close it, that is what they call your vaginal cuff.
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Thank you all for the excellent insight!!! I have decided that it will be removed . Squeemer, thank you!!
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks Dweebie!
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festiki View Post
Thank you all for the excellent insight!!! I have decided that it will be removed . Squeemer, thank you!!
You're very welcome I'm glad I could help!
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:44 PM

I never questioned keeping it. My mom had a hysterectomy the same day I was born due to large fibroids and she never had any problems without her cervix. It was the darn ovary that they left that caused the problems later. My sis had hers removed as well two years prior to my surgery and no problems. A friend of mine kept hers and she has mini periods every month and wished she would have had the doc take it. I had a bad pap, cryo and a LEEP in the last so I didn't have much of a cervix left anyway. I also had a small bump on my cervix that freaked me out horribly. Doc said it was scar tissue from the LEEP and having a baby vaginally afterwards but it still freaked me out when I would feel it. Glad it's gone and don't have to worry about it.
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:35 PM

During my pre-op meeting last week the gynecologist never asked if I want to keep my cervix or not, she just said they'll take it all out which I'm perfectly happy with as one of my main reason for the hysterectomy is heavy periods. Had I been asked I would have chosen to take it all out anyways as that means no risk of mini periods and eliminates the risk of cancer in the cervix

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register