Help cervical fibroid 😓 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help cervical fibroid 😓 Help cervical fibroid 😓

Unread 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Help cervical fibroid 😓

Hi there I am new to this group and I need some help. I was told on Wednesday that I have a cervical fibroid which is 6.7cm, apparently this fibroid has thinned out my cervix like a baby would prior to delivery. Dr was adamant that hysterectomy is the only way forward, he frightened me into agreeing the surgery by saying that if I don't then I will not be able to have a Pap smear as cervix would be distorted and that I would never know if I had cervical cancer. I was so scared that I agreed to it, surgery is scheduled for the 29th of this month which is days away. I'm in a terrible state, as firstly this is not what I want, and secondly the last time I went under the knife for a c section I nearly died from sepsis, and was diagnosed with post traumatic stress. 😓 has anyone else had a cervical fibroid and had other treatment apart from a hysterectomy? Any help would be greatly appreciated x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Help cervical fibroid 😓

Hi Msworry,

First off...we Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can. Wonderful website.

I had two large fibroids...so it can be pretty scary talking to a Dr. about what approach to take with fibroids

Fibroids are only cancerous 1% of the time. Also..cervical cancer occurs only in 3% of women. So odds are in our favor. So...maybe that can give you a little breather. Take the time to do your research.

I also scheduled a hyst after my appointment. It felt very rushed for me too. And I cancelled because this was a major surgery..and I wanted another opinion.

So...I can suggest getting a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. I got 2 opinions myself and it is one of the best decisions I ever made for my gyneo health. My doctors gave me differing opinions on what to do with my fibroids....which gave me more information to look at...and helped me to make a better decision for myself.

Sending best wishes,

Historylady
Unread 09-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Re: Help cervical fibroid 😓

Listen to historylady!

I have fibroids also, tho not cervical. Like historylady, I scheduled a hyst and then cancelled. I just wasn't ready. I'll be seeing my fourth doctor this week, who I hope will have more options for me.

Are your symptoms manageable? If so, then maybe you don't need to rush into anything and you can consider getting another opinion. The more information you have, the better you'll feel about making a decision. Right now, it sounds like fear is your only motivation for doing the hyst. Talking with other doctors may help calm some of the fear, however you end up deciding to deal with the fibroid.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Help cervical fibroid 😓

Hi Msworry,

I totally agree with Puggingtonbear...and fear can play a part in our decision making.

I cancelled my hyst...as I posted earlier.

And I was also a see-the-gynecologist once a year woman before fibroids. Have my exam, my pap smear...and see ya next year, doc !!! I never had any gynecological issues.

So when my Dr. diagnosed my fibroids..I suddenly found myself face to face with her office manager. We were suddenly planning a major surgery. Wait...what happened ??? I was in a complete and utter daze.

This was a gynecologist I had had for 5 years...and suddenly...I felt like I was being forced into having an abdominal surgery. It was so fast. Too fast. I'll never forget that day.

So...take the time you need...to process the info. your Dr. gave you. Hearing the word..fibroid...takes a little time getting used to. Believe me !!!

Sending best wishes again,

Historylady 😊
Unread 09-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Help cervical fibroid 😓

I had a cervical necrotic fibroid which had a stalk. My cervix was dialated like I was pushing a baby head. My fibroid was necrotic, caused me bleeding with awful smelly discharge. My gyn suggested vaginal myomectomy. She was able to remove big part of the fibroid, but a small part was left. That gave me a relief for few months. Then my fibroid started growing again caused me heavy painful periods. Around 15 months after my myomectomy, my fibroid became 6 cm big. My gyn suggested 3 one month each Lupron shots in order to shrink the fibroid and do a myomectomy again. While I was waiting for the insurance approval on Lupron, my fibroid pushed itself to the vagina, became necrotic again, and caused me heavy bleeding and I became so anemic. I got my first Lupron shot, the next day I was admitted to the ER to have a second myomectomy which was 15 months from my first one. My gyn was able to get a big part of my necrotic fibroid hoping I will stop bleeding. Few days later I developed infection because my fibroid pushed itself again to the vagina, necrotic again, and an inflamed cervix and uterus. Bleeding never stopped.

At this point, being so anemic, having a dead fibroid in my body, actively bleeding after the myomectomy. At this point the hysterectomy was the best thing to do.

My gyn and I were avoiding hysterectomy by all means. But I ended up having it after several unsuccessful trials to keep my uterus. Hysterectomy was never my first and only option. But no regrets at all that I had it. I am 2.5 weeks post op doing great in recovery.

Wish you all the luck. Take a second opinion, then you will be able to decide.
Unread 09-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Help cervical fibroid 😓

Thank you for all your messages. I went to see my Dr today who said there is no way I should be having a hysterectomy with the way I am feeling at the moment. She cancelled my operation and has asked another consultant to look over my MRI scan etc and give his verdict, if he says a hysterectomy is the way to go then I will have it done, but at least then I've had a 2nd opinion and that will settle my mind. I've never felt so ill emotionally, 4 hours solid crying this morning and that's without the weekends tears i have shed. My husband and my mum don't approve of me cancelling op, they are worried for me, but I have said this is my body, my life and I need to do what is best for me, I may have made the wrong decision but then that is for me to worry about. Thank you once again xx
Unread 09-21-2015, 12:59 PM

I think you did well to cancel surgery, if only temporarily, considering your reaction to the idea of it. And it's good that your family cares enough about you to be worried! But you're right: It is your body, and you have to do what you feel is best for you at the time. If you change your mind, it doesn't necessarily mean your first decision was wrong, either. As you get more information, your ideas of what is best for you may change, but right now, based on what you know now, you made what you feel is the best decision for your health.

I hope the second opinion is helpful and that you are able to achieve peace of mind. Good luck!
Unread 09-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Help cervical fibroid 😓

I agree. Your family just wants immediate resolution for you now.

And sometimes....to get the BEST resolution for ourselves...we just need more time to research what all our options are.

Historylady
Unread 09-21-2015, 11:29 PM

You need to be emotionally as well as physically ready to have a hysterectomy.

A brighter, healthier future lies ahead!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register