pre-op appt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
pre-op appt?

Sorry to be posting so many questions! What goes on at the pre admission testing? Im having it tomorrow and they said itll take two hours. I dont need to take anyone with me do I? Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
pre-op appt?

I'm guessing it depends on the hospital. When I made the appointment, they told me it would involve a chest x-ray and an EKG. When I got there, they weighed me, measured my height, took my blood pressure, monitored my breathing and heart rate all in one room. Then they asked for a urine sample and pointed me down the hall. After that, they took a blood sample in the next room and again, I was sent down the hall. There another nurse took a verbal medical history and told me where to go when I check in and where my surgery will be, and where my room will be when I was done. Then they sent me home. No x-ray, no ekg. The last nurse said my doc didn't order one because "you're too young." So, there you go.

Again, yours will depend on what your hospital requires.
Unread 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
pre-op appt?

According to your age you may have an ekg, a chest x-ray, urine test and blood work done. Then you will meet with a nurse to go over some basic things and will answer any questions you may have. You should definitely make a list of any questions that you may have. My dh went with me but really did not need to. Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2007, 04:51 PM
pre-op appt?

My pre-op for my hyst was kind of a non-event. A blood draw, medical history (just one of seemingly dozens throughout the experience ) and a photo of my belly -- because they were doing a panniculectomy to remove some abdominal fat.

For other surgeries, I've had more extensive stuff -- more questions, but nothing more than a blood draw as far as medical tests go. It really does depend on your overall health, the doctor, and the hospital, I think.

to you.
Unread 04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
pre-op appt?

the surgeon just listened to my heart/lungs and i had my thyroid rechecked because i was slightly hyperthyroid. we went over specifics of the surgery. i made sure he knew and wrote down that i did not want my ovaries or cervix removed under any circumstances except life/death. the morning of the surgery, the anesthesiologists asked more health questions.
Unread 04-04-2007, 05:08 PM
pre-op appt?

Mine involved chest x-ray, EKG and blood drawing. I met with the pre-admissions nurse and she was wonderful! She answered any questions about the hospital workings end of things, gave me hints and suggestions, too!

I hope yours is informative and puts your mind at ease (in case you're nervous).

Unread 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
pre-op appt?

Thank you all ,I went today and they just asked my history and took blood and did an EKG. The nurse answered all my questions so im ready to go!
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
pre-op appt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesh
Thank you all ,I went today and they just asked my history and took blood and did an EKG. The nurse answered all my questions so im ready to go!
Super news, leesh!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register