My gyn today suggested a hyster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My gyn today suggested a hyster My gyn today suggested a hyster

Unread 05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
My gyn today suggested a hyster

Hi everyone. I'm 43 and have had fertility problems and ovarian cysts all my life.

My doc suspects that I have fibroids (having ultrasound in 2 days). I've been peri-meno for at least 5 years and the bleeding and cramps are awful. Also it hurts to have sex. He did an exam on me today and as long as he stayed away from my cervix, I was okay. Just barely touch the cervix and I was in a lot of pain.

He's talking about doing the hyster that's through the vagina. Sounds like a much better thing to do than the 'typical' way. I have had 2 c-sections, so I don't want to go that route again.

He said it's nothing that has to happen immediately, but if I truly get tired of the pain, then he'll be ready. He wanted me to wait to make my decision at least until he gets the results of the ultrasound first.

One part of me says YES! Let's get this done and over with. The other part of me doesn't know. Family and friends that have had this done all tell me to go for it. They all had great results.

One thing I have to think about as well is to keep my ovaries or not if I do go for this. My sister had a hyster at 27 because of cancer, then her ovaries removed 5 years later because of cancer. My Mom never had anything done but her tubes tied after she had me. I'm just torn over this.

So, I'll wait for the ultrasound results and continue to read, read, read. This place seems like a great place for that.

Thanks for listening to me. It's all so new and fresh and I guess I'm just sounding out right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Hey Nancy! Keep reading on the site here, and wait til your doctor gives you the results from the ultrasound. It is not an easy decision to make. I actually discussed hysterectomy and other options with my doctor over a period of several months. As my chronic vaginal bleeding and discomfort continued, I knew that the decision between the doctor and myself was the correct one for my situation.
Unread 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Hi Nancy,

Glad you found your way here. I tried to reply to your intro post, but it wouldn't let me.

Hope you'll get some answers to some of your questions from some other sisters.

Since your sister had her ovaries removed from cancer concerns, does that make you and your doctor lean more towards removing yours?

One more thing.. before we knew I had cancer, my gyn and I were discussing a hyst for my interminable bleeding. She said I wasn't a candidate for a vaginal because I had not given vaginal birth.. ie.. my cervix and uterus had not prolapsed at all.

She had to pass me over to her partner who could do a laprascopic assisted vaginal hyst (LAVH). Then the biopsies came back with atypia and it was a whole nother ball game.

I totally understand not wanting to go the abdominal route again.. I had 2 c/sections too. Let me tell you, my hyst was a LOT easier recovery than the c/sections.

best of luck in your ultrasound tomorrow.

lots of s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks Lisa.

My gyn is waiting til he gets back the ultrasound results before we talk about the ovaries. He said I'm in the 'grey' area age wise. Under 40, they leave them...over 45, they take them. Although he did say if I took them out now, I wouldn't have to ever worry about ovarian cancer.

So, I'm going to wait as well til after the results come back from the ultrasound and then read and talk a lot with ladies here and with friends and family that have all had it done.

That's interesting about you not being eligible for the vaginal because of c-sections. I also had 2, but I had to give birth at 5months along to a still birth baby. So, my cervix has done it's thing at one time...but I'll have to ask him about that. Thank you for that info.

Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register