6 weeks post hysterectomy: Discharge, numbness & flushes...normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks post hysterectomy: Discharge, numbness & flushes...normal? 6 weeks post hysterectomy: Discharge, numbness & flushes...normal?

Unread 05-25-2016, 06:59 AM
6 weeks post hysterectomy: Discharge, numbness & flushes...normal?

Hi there,
I was scheduled for laproscopic hysterectomy on the 11th April, conserving the ovaries. On further investigation there was an issue with bowel adhesions and a gastric surgeon was called in, which resulted in the 'big incision' across the top of my bikini line and what he called 'significant surgery' on the bowel. As a result of the adhesions, my falopian tubes could not be removed. I was on a pain drip and catheter for 6 days and finally allowed home after 8. I have been menopausal for the past 3 years and find the flushes are far worse following the surgery, especially at night.

I have read that some discharge is fairly normal - what I have is not pleasant at all, with a nasty odour and dark colour. The fact that my bowel has been involved scared me in this instance, thinking it may have been bowel leakage, if that's even possible. My GP put me on a course of large dose antibiotics and the discharge cleared up about a week ago...but it raises it's ugly head every now and then. Is this the same for other Sisters?
Also, the scar site at the bikini line is numb to touch. I understand that there's been some major trauma in there and it may be still bruised and healing...just wondering if others have had the same experience and how long it might last? My surgical-team check-up is on the 8th June. Should I wait til then to see if the discharge stops totally? Any and all advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2016, 07:16 PM
Re: Discharge, numbness & flushes...normal?

The numbness along your bikini incision is normal since our nerves were pretty much severed. I have a 3" incision that feels oddly numb. Very little feeling has come back, but my understanding is that it could take a while for the nerves to regenerate. Even then feeling may not come back completely.

I still have vaginal discharge and was told that this would happen until all my stitches from my cuff are completely dissolved, which they were not at my 5 week check. I was told it could take 8-9 weeks for the type of stitches that my doc used. If your discharge has a foul odor, you will want to call your doctor.

Hang in there.
Unread 05-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Re: Discharge, numbness & flushes...normal?

Hi Falfrenzy...
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know I'm not the exception and that these things are pretty normal. The numbness is a weird sensation and has taken a bit of getting used to... And yes, I've booked with my GP!
Thanks so much for the reassurance.
:-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register