Time's almost up - Need Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time's almost up - Need Help Time's almost up - Need Help

Unread 06-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Time's almost up - Need Help

I've got less that 2 days to go and am SSSSSSOOOOOOO nervous. Does anyone have any tips about how to get through these last few hours without being a nervous wreck????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2003, 02:15 PM

I understand the feeling of the nerves really kicking in now. Perhaps you can "prepare" your little nest for when you return. A nice comfy blanket on the couch, a bed pillow for naps, timer to remind you of more drugs, gas-x, cordless phone, water bottle so you don't spill the water, phone numbers, remote, videos, magazines, books, notepad and pen are good for groceries or other things you want someone to stop and get for you or to make notes of who brings what food so you can send a thank you...

Pack you little overnight bag of toiletries, magazines, hydrating lotion, lip balm, jammies if you want them--or at least shorty bottoms to hide your bottom--you'll be able to wear them after the catheter is out, a tummy pillow or small stuffed animal to press against your tummy when you laugh, cough, sneeze--you'll know why once you sneeze without it! gas-x. There is a list among the articles of what to take to the castle.

Let us know when you're home!

TC
Unread 06-28-2003, 03:28 PM

I'm right behind you. Pre-op on July 3rd and surgery on the 9th. I am getting nervous too. But keep myself busy by getting my bag packed and the house clean. I need it to be clean when I get home so I won't be wanting to do too much. Just remember that it will be over soon and you will feel so much better. Good luck. Debby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Pamper yourself

Maybe make a delightful meal.

Fix things you'll want later and put them in the freezer.

Get your nails done.

Call an old friend from high school.

Play. Play in a way you haven't let yourself play for many years. Dunno what that would be for you. Your call.

Enjoy life and plan things so that you need it to slow down. This will undoubtably speed it all up and all will be well.
Unread 06-28-2003, 05:00 PM

Go and pamper your self. I did this and it helped SO much!
I went and had a pedicure and my finger nails done. (have to use clear polish on fingers) and this really relaxed me for the day.

Other than doing that and my bowel prep that was all I did. Oh yes... I had to stay close to home once the bowel prep started so DH & DD brought dinner home...

Best of luck!
Unread 06-28-2003, 05:01 PM

Katwoman, I don't have a lot to add to what people have already said (thanks to all for the excellent ideas), but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and that you are not alone. I'm right behind you on July 2, and I'm getting a bit edgy myself. Please let us know when you get back...and I'll see you on the other side!
s!
Unread 06-28-2003, 05:01 PM

Hi, I stayed busy to help time pass while waiting. I did all the cleaning etc first - then did the pampering stuff. I got my hair done, went to a movie and dinner with my DD, out to lunch with freinds, some fun shopping etc. Do something that YOU enjoy.
s
Unread 06-28-2003, 07:26 PM

I asked my DR for some help with that and she gladly gave me a prescription. I was unable to sleep and she didn't want me to be exhausted. Your DR is a great resource. This is a time when I would even call the DR on call for some help!

When you check into the hospital be sure and tell them, too, how nervous you are. They have some great things they can put in the I.V. to help you with that.

Just for the record, I am not one to take even otc drugs, but this was one time I really needed some help. I'm very glad I asked.
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:13 PM

I agree with everyone, just keep busy. It is normal to be nervous. Good luck, thinking of you.
Unread 06-29-2003, 07:32 AM

Thanks you guys. I was going to stay home and clean today, but I'm thinking maybe I'll just go to the pool and the movies with the family. Less than 24 hours to go!!!! (Yikes!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register