Something to think about!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Something to think about!!!! Something to think about!!!!

Unread 07-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Something to think about!!!!

I guess this crossed my mind because before you know it I will be thrusted into society. I have had several operations done and each one has the recovery period of 6-8 weeks and they were all involving cutting me open. Rotator cuff, appendix, carpal tunnel, none of these were considered major operations like a Hysterectomy. So why are we still put in the same time frame for recovery. Yeah I know if we are not ready we should voice this to our Dr. but I think our time frame should be a little longer. Most of us are going out into society and finding out that we still need extra time. I think our recovery period should 12-14 weeks. Yeah I know we need to make money but our health and recovery should be first. Why are we stuck in text book recovery times. What do you think about the recovery time??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2008, 08:51 AM

I agree, I am exhusted!!
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:14 AM

I agree 100%. I will be 6 weeks post op on Tuesday from a TAH/BSO that took 5 hours and my recovery has been incredibly SLOW. It was just the other day that I was able to shower alone and there is no way I am anywhere close to being able to drive safely. Still hurts to pick up a full pot of coffee let alone try to blow dry my hair. Back in 95 I had a lap for endo and that took 6 weeks to be well healed and my doc is indicating 8 - 10 weeks for me in this op. Not to man bash . . . but wonder if this would be different if they went through it too . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2008, 09:17 AM

Hey Aware,

You go girl! I am going back tomorrow and I have been off for three months. I was readmitted three times to hospital with post op complications, one being deep vein thrombosis whereby I stayed for 9 days. I am just now ready to go back and I agree 6-8 weeks isn't really long enough. My doc actually wanted me to go back half days for a month but I said I feel ready and we are poor now ... LOL

Mind you ... I do see some women on here that are back in the saddle at 4 weeks ... they are an inspiration to me!

Be kind to yourself during the short time you do have to heal ... that makes all the difference.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:20 AM

I agree that the recovery time ought to be longer. I'm 3 weeks post-op and b/c of financial issues, had to go back to work. My doc (female) told me 4 weeks minimum depending on how I feel. Granted, I have a desk job but still am so tired by the time I get home all I can do is lay in bed.....plus, had pain last night that made we want to cry - and the swelly belly is really bad (probably from sitting all day).

UGH! I vote for 6 months!!!!!!!! 8-)
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Gee--I'm really glad for your post because I am 8 days post-op and feeling guilty that I'm not helping more around the house. I guess we all need to be reminded about the seriousness of what we've been through. It's so tough in this day and age to "take time off". There are so many demands placed on us.

That reminds me of a funny story. I was 2 days post-op, sitting in bed with the computer on my lap and reading Hystersisters forum posts. My DH came in with a stack of bills (we pay them on-line) and asked if I wouldn't mind getting the bills done while I was resting. I looked at him strangely and told him about how I had just tried to turn the television on by pointing the cordless telephone at it and pushing the "talk" button. I didn't need to say anything after that...(I have a wonderful DH, by the way!)
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM

My doc said two more weeks off so he wants me taking 8 full weeks. He said I am healing very well. But said I need to be patient. It is hard to explain to family and co-workers and friends how I can walk and talk and am in no real pain just where anchor was so not bad. But yesterday I made my bed , cleaned toilet and sink and tub in bathroom, did one load of laundry, loaded and unloaded dishwasher, cleaned all counter tops, dusted, vacuumed , mopped one room and made dinner. All in about 2 hours. I was sore in my back and crashed out in bed EARLY and could not get up today for nothing when time came to get up. I need a nap now. It's gonna take me a week to recover from two hours house cleaning.
So how am I supposed to go to work at a job where I am on my feet going non stop 7-9 hours 4-5 days a week?
Ugh.... I just know people think I am some wimp but honestly even if body feels better I have ZERO stamina here. Makes me want to cry cause everyone looks at me and thinks "Well she seems fine what's the problem?"
Frustrating. BTW I need to go back to work bill collectors really don't care why I am going broke so that just adds to my frustration.
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:53 AM

I can so relate to this thread.

You are all in my prayers,
Jess
XOXO
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Just thinking about going back to my job makes me tired. I work in a production plant, I am on my feet all night (work second shift). The other lady that worked with me quit. And they feel they can have the woman do at least 4 different jobs a nights, while the men say put. No wonder she quit huh. But I know when I go back there is going to be a full load put on me since I am the only woman left on our shift and am not looking forward to it, That is why I think this text book 6-8 weeks off should be changed. I mean we just had our insides removed and everything shifted and now everything is resettling and we are told to go back with our internal stitches healing....... Man that sounds like alot of stuff doesn't it. I think they should reavaluate this time frame, which they will probably due after we all already went through it.
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:43 AM

I am one month post op from a TAH, and might have been feeling up to going back to work part time, except that after I'd been home one week I happened to have a gall bladder attack, which resulted in another major surgery and an 11-day hospital stay. I've been home for 8 days now from hospital stay #2, and must say that this recovery is much more diffixcult for me. When I got out of the hospital the first time I was completely off pain meds except for ibuprofin. This time, I'm still taking Darvocet around the clock. I'm much more tired, too. This is so frustrating as I'm so anxious to get back to work and feel useful! DH has been wonderful, helpful and supportive, but I hate sitting around feeling like a lump!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register