Lightheaded & dizzy after TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lightheaded & dizzy after TAH? Lightheaded & dizzy after TAH?

Unread 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Lightheaded & dizzy after TAH?

I had my TAH (kept my ovaries) on June 3. I haven't had any pain meds since the early morning of June 5th. The pain hasn't been too bad at all, but every time I get up to move around, I get lightheaded & dizzy...to the point where I worry about passing out. Could I be laying around or sleeping TOO much? I'm not sure how much I should be up & about

Has anyone else had this problem? I know I'm not dehydrated - been eating & drinking like normal. I've had no problems w/bowel movements or anything else. I was excited that the pain was very tolerable and I didn't seem to have any complications but the dizziness & lightheadedness seems to be getting a little worse by the day.

I'll call my doctor tomorrow if it's still an issue, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Re: Lightheaded & dizzy after TAH?

I had this problem following my surgery for a variety of reasons, and possibly for all the reasons mixed together! For me the culprits included anemia, blood sugar issues, blood pressure and pulse issues, and dehydration. Laying around a lot because of all my complications didn't help either!

I would suggest being very careful and keep track of your symptoms. Do you notice it more when you change from a laying or sitting position to standing? It was suggested that I slowly change positions from laying/sitting to standing to help in this area. Is your pulse normal? Are you writing down how much you are eating and drinking? I know I was not eating well but I had thought I was drinking enough--so did the hospital! But when they actually checked, I was dehydrated so they started pushing the liquids even more! My symptoms also increased after a hot shower so be careful there until you talk to your doctor.

I do think you should call your doctor as there are so many reasons for these symptoms, some more serious than others!

in there!
Unread 06-07-2009, 04:38 PM

I had a TAH with BSO on may 5th. I had those symptoms. Very dizzy lightheaded just felt wierd besides being in pain. My hemoglobin was 8.5 so they gave me 2 units of blood which helped me feel much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2009, 05:07 PM

I had that as well. My doctor thought mine was a normally low blood pressure dropping when I would get up from a seated position. It can also be lower estrogen or lower iron levels as well. I'm sure your doctor can help you find out the cause of it for you. Take care!
Unread 06-07-2009, 06:16 PM

My TLH was on 3/10 and I was dizzy alot afterwards. I would guess at least 8 weeks after surgery - on and off. My Dr. said that it wasn't an explainable symptom but that it was her experience that a small percentage of woman do experience dizziness. Even after I was cleared to start exercising again - starting with just a 1/2 mile run, I had to stop before I even got that far because I was much too dizzy. It has gone away completely now. I hope that helps : )
Unread 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Thank you everyone! I go see my doctor on Thursday, so I will be sure to mention it to her....unless it gets worse, then I'll call her. It wasn't happening this morning, but it's back again tonight.

I am wondering if I am laying around TOO much that when I get up, it's my body getting adjusted? Heck I dunno.
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:14 AM

I'm glad I found this. I am having the same symptoms. I can't even look down without getting lightheaded and dizzy. I mentioned it to the Dr. they checked my bp. It was fine. It get up and hold on for a while until it passes. Hope it stops soon.
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:19 AM

I had a TAH on June 23rd and had the same symptoms. They continued for about a week or so after I came home and are pretty much gone now. I hope this helps!
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Happens to me everytime I stand up, my world goes black for about 15 to 20 seconds. I'm not sure why, but this never happend before my surgery. I'm drinking a lot and staying active, walking a lot! Have no idea why this is happening. I've also had other weird symptoms, like getting really hot, not feeling hot, but my body temp getting really hot to the touch. Not sure why this is happening either. I don't feel hot like I need to cool down or stick my head in the freezer or anything like that so I don't think it hot flashes...it's weird.
Unread 07-11-2009, 12:26 PM

I get dizzy, too. Sometimes not when I first stand up, but after I've been walking for a bit.

I'm just taking it very slowly - I'm wondering if it's not some sort of lingering effect of the general anesthesia?

I still feel foggy even though I'm only taking 1 percocet at night & ibuprofen during the daytime.

I think inactivity is also a contributing factor.

Just be careful & don't try to do things too fast. Definitely worth asking your Dr about.

Raquel
TAH 7/2/09

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register