NEW Here - TAH May 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

NEW Here - TAH May 6 NEW Here - TAH May 6

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:22 AM
NEW Here - TAH May 6

Hello, Everyone!

I'm very excited to have found this site. I am scheduled for a TAH on May 6, and I'm very nervous. I'm in my mid-30s, and haven't undergone any major surgery to date.

I'm also a bit nervous about my job. I've had some less invasive surgery, and suffered a lot of pain in order to get back to work. I'm married with children, and we have a single-income home right now. I thank God that my employer has great benefits. STD will pay 100% of my salary for up to 6 weeks. So, the money is not as much of a concern, unless recovery exceeds 6 weeks.

My concern right now is that my doctor says I'll be ready to return to work afer only 3 weeks. From what I've been reading, that's a bit soon. I don't do well with pain, so I'm nervous about coming back too soon. Is that realistic? I am a manager in the Clinical Research field, so I have a desk job with some occasional travel.

Is there anything I can do to better prepare? I almost feel like I did when I had my children. There's this overwhelming desire to get everything in perfect condition. It's stressing me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Re: NEW Here - TAH May 6

3 weeks may be too soon to go back to work... pain may not be the hardest part by then but tiredness may be. You will not know until you are post surgery and how you are feeling.
Wanting to get things done is normal... just remember not to stress yourself out too much and make yourself sick...
:hugs5:
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM

Don't expect to much of yourself, I did that and am totally devastated that at 4 weeks post op I still haven't been out and can't walk very far. Just see how you feel post op and go with the flow, you only get one chance to heal properly. Good luck and take care.;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Nehemiah8.10!!

I agree that 3 weeks is very soon to return to work. You are having the most invasive type of hysterectomy there is. It is usually standard to be out AT LEAST 6 weeks...sometimes more. Even if you were having one of the less invasive procedures, 3 weeks just sounds early to me. There is so much going on inside the body that you can't see and it all needs time to heal and heal right. I would talk to your at your next appointment and ask why he/she feels that you will be able to return so early.

I had the TAH and I was off work for 10 or 12 weeks...I can't really remember, but it was a long time!! I am a slow healer and that was how much time my body needed to heal. I also have a desk job, but it was so painful to sit up for a long period of time, there was no way I could have returned at 3 weeks!! I sure hope he said that by mistake!! Keep in mind that not all doctors are the same regarding restrictions and time off and we all heal at different rates, so this was just my experience.

The feeling you have where you feel like you need to get everything done is completely normal. I was the same way and from what I have seen here, almost everyone is that way before their surgery. I never had kids, but I think what I went through was almost like "nesting" that pregnant women go through at the end of their pregnancies. Go with it....get as much done now as you can so you can rest after your surgery. You need to take your time and heal right, which means, no housework for you for awhile!!

Glad you found us!! Have a look around. I am sure you will have a lot of questions in the next few weeks before your surgery and most, if not all of them, can be answered here. This site is such a wonderful support system and we will be here for you throughout your journey.

to you and sending you
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Thank you all so much! I will certainly take all the advice here and follow-up with my doctor. To me, 3 weeks is a bit scary. I don't want to rush things that quickly.

At least now, I know I'm not crazy and my expectations are not too out of the ordinary. Thanks so much!
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM

ok, ya'll know there's just no way I was gonna leave out my 2cents on this one.... When my Dr mentioned she would write me up for 2-3weeks off and we'd see where we go from there I told her no...how bout just write me up for 6 weeks that way my boss plans for it and if i feal better early we can talk about it then. I even told my husband that when i go back to work I'll be driving his big cumfy 4door truck (his baby) that way i can put pillows and a blankie in the backseat in case i need a nap over lunch. I'm 32 and having TAH and TT, no way will i be climing in and out of my tiny little nissan. don't be afraid to speak up and ask you dr to write you up for the most time off available, it's better to plan for the worst and feel better early as oppsed to planning for the best. My favorite saying that i've seen here is......ready for this....
YOU ONLY HAVE 1 CHANCE TO HEAL RIGHT
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAvamp79 View Post
ok, ya'll know there's just no way I was gonna leave out my 2cents on this one.... When my Dr mentioned she would write me up for 2-3weeks off and we'd see where we go from there I told her no...how bout just write me up for 6 weeks that way my boss plans for it and if i feal better early we can talk about it then. I even told my husband that when i go back to work I'll be driving his big cumfy 4door truck (his baby) that way i can put pillows and a blankie in the backseat in case i need a nap over lunch. I'm 32 and having TAH and TT, no way will i be climing in and out of my tiny little nissan. don't be afraid to speak up and ask you dr to write you up for the most time off available, it's better to plan for the worst and feel better early as oppsed to planning for the best. My favorite saying that i've seen here is......ready for this....
YOU ONLY HAVE 1 CHANCE TO HEAL RIGHT

Very well put. It is always easier to return to work early if you are able than it is to get more time off if you are not!!

And yes....only one chance to heal right!!! So take the time you need to pamper the

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register