the cervix.... to keep or not to keep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

the cervix....  to keep or not to keep? the cervix.... to keep or not to keep?

Unread 05-03-2002, 03:25 PM
the cervix.... to keep or not to keep?

I am scheduled for TAH on May 16. I have heard rumors that intercourse can be uncomfortable if you have had your cervix removed. (of course, its hearsay from "a friend of a friend of a friend who says so". My doctor says this is hogwash and he's never heard that from a patient. Personally, I look forward to no more pap smears and no chance of monthly bleeding from the tissue left behind when you keep your cervix. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge about this subject? Who do I trust? The male doctor or the women's network?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 03:59 PM

Hi Kathleen.

I too had heard the same thing. I checked in with a friend of mine prior to my TAH. She had also had a TAH (around 20 years ago and she said that she's had no sexual side effects from the surgery. In fact, she's had no side effects of any kind.

This seems to be a conistent message throughout this forum as well. Of course, there are some exceptions. Like everything - it really does depend on the individual - but most of what I've read and heard is that there's been no problem. I'll know for myself in a couple of weeks.

All the best to you.
Unread 05-03-2002, 04:42 PM

Hi!

I had my cervix removed when I had my TAH. I had a couple of reasons for my decision, among was a risk of monthly spotting or light bleeding since I had opted to keep my ovaries. {chalk it up to hormones, I believe} While this problem doesn't happen to all women, I wasn't ready to deal with that.

Another heads-up I recieved was concerning Pap smears. Even though I had the cervix removed, my doctor will have me coming in for paps for at least 3 consecutive years. When I have 3 years of normal paps, I then have the option of switching to once every three years. I was told by my doc that the cervix is not on a dotted line. That is, there are no clearly defined separations for a doctor to use in removing the cervix, and most of the time, there are some cervical cells that remain, and therefore at a risk for a cervical cancer for example.

This is definately something to bring up, gather opinions from and make an informed decision with your doctor.

FWIW, there have been no long term difficulties with the removal of my cervix...and I did have 2 of them removed.

Good Luck,
Ami

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 05:24 PM

Kathleen,

I had a TAH/BSO -- sex does not have to painful, the worst I've experienced is the vaginal dryness ( and that's curable with either hormones, or vaginal moisturizers like K-Y, replens, etc.)

On the other hand, about pap smears -- my Dr. recommended yearly ones, just as always!! You can still get cancer because you still will have a vagina. Check with your Dr. or get some more advice form this site!

Good luck!!

Jubilee -- TAH/BSO for cervical carsinoma insitu, huge fibroids, and endo.
Unread 05-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Hi Sweetie

I had my cervix removed and can't tell any difference. And my DR wants a pap each year for a while any way. I have to have a mammogram each year to watch some places in my right breast so she said we would just do the pap too. But each person is different, but I think most of the ladies haven't felt any differences. God Bless.

Unread 05-04-2002, 04:41 PM

If you opt to have your cervix removed, I'd still definately go for paps!
I chose to "keep" mine for my own reasons, and I do have both ovaries. I know alot of women are afraid of "the mini period" that you are "at risk" for .
I am one of the ones who does get a "mini period" and it is definately no big deal at all. I just felt I needed to clear that up with some people who are using that as a major decision for keeping it or not. It is definately NOT something "to deal with" Most of the women I know who have them, get 24hrs or so of such very very light spotting that you can actually get away without wearing anything but I use a panti-liner, one per mini-period, per month, lol. A far cry from the jumbo packs of overnights, 2 or 3 packs a week lol.
There is another sister here who agrees with me on this that at first I was a little disappointed that I was one of the ones getting mini, however now I am glad. It makes me feel secure knowing my ovaries are working right on schedule! It will be years yet likely before I have menopause, and I can keep track of any irregularities with mini. Honestly it is NO BIG DEAL, no worse than a little blood tinged discharge, and I get a slight "uncomfortable" feeling that I know I will get it the next day, I wont even call it cramping it is so mild, you just know!
All decisions are up to you and your doc. Anyone with history of cervical cancer in the family or abnormal paps, by all means, I would have it out if recommended by the doctor. But if he is giving you a choice, like mine did, weigh all options. Good luck sisters, ~~~~feeling like a new non-anemic woman now at 4 months post op~~~~ MJ
Unread 05-04-2002, 05:38 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I no longer have my cervix and have to say that sex is definitely not uncomfortable without it. As a matter of fact, since I also had severe prolapses, it is much more comfortable now that the prolapses are fixed.

My doctor also told me that I should continue to have annual Pap smears, even though I no longer have my cervix.

It looks as if, so far, this group of women agrees with your doctor that sex isn't uncomfortable without the cervix.

's

Karen
Unread 05-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Agree with Mj64

Mini's are no big deal. Barely notice them, and like MJ says at least I know my ovaries are still working just fine.

Keeping or removing a healthy cervix is completely a personal decision.
Unread 05-10-2002, 03:27 PM

I kept mine also, I will be 5 months tommarow. I did kept one ovary and do not get mini periods. But i still get mild pms. It was a personal choice for me also. I feel fine no problems. I just glad to get rid of my heavy periods.
Unread 05-11-2002, 05:28 AM

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

I am 13-1/2 weeks post op and I haven't noticed a difference during sex.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register