Came home yesterday from the Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Came home yesterday from the Castle Came home yesterday from the Castle

Unread 06-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Came home yesterday from the Castle

Hi girls,

I made it back from the castle in one piece. Sore and tired, but happy. The worst part is over, and now it is time to PAMPER the PRINCESS.... only problem is, I have yet to have a bowel movement....I got diarrhea really badly on Thursday, and then Thursday night they gave me 2 Lomotils, and since then, ZIP.....nada.... I have taken 2 glasses of Metamucil , one yesterday and one today, and then today a stool softener too....but if they haven't done the trick by tomorrow at noon, my Mom said she will take me back to the hospital.....so, girls....pray that something happens here real soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2007, 07:51 PM

Glad to hear you are home!!!

I can't remember who said it, but I remember reading that one of the gals was home for about 5 days before she finally had one! I'd definitely check w/your doc, but I think it's kinda normal.... I mean our bodies were/are put through a lot during this type of surgery and it takes a bit to get 'em started again.

Anyhow, I hope you feel better... and yes... it's time for you to be PAMPERED!!!
Unread 06-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Welcome Home!!

If you had diarrhea in the hospital, you were probably cleaned out and won't have another bm for a few days...also the guts don't want to work too well after anesthesia and surgery. Remember, during an abdominal hyster, they lower your head and raise the abdomen to make the intestines flop towards your rib cage to get out of the way...TMI and gross, I know! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2007, 08:04 PM

ok, well, at least that makes me feel a little relieved.....I just don't want to have my bowels explode on me or something....you know...
Unread 06-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks... I needed the laugh! I'm sure they won't do that though. Colleen is right though, it does take some longer to get their organs back to normal after anesthesia.... also about the you're probably already cleaned out bit from the diarrhea at the hospital.... in the end you can always call the doc

Thanks again for the laugh...
Unread 06-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraphina
Hi girls,

I made it back from the castle in one piece. Sore and tired, but happy. The worst part is over, and now it is time to PAMPER the PRINCESS.... only problem is, I have yet to have a bowel movement....I got diarrhea really badly on Thursday, and then Thursday night they gave me 2 Lomotils, and since then, ZIP.....nada.... I have taken 2 glasses of Metamucil , one yesterday and one today, and then today a stool softener too....but if they haven't done the trick by tomorrow at noon, my Mom said she will take me back to the hospital.....so, girls....pray that something happens here real soon.

YAY Saraphina I am soo glad to see ya home!!
I am sure that since you did the bowel cleanse that there isn't much in there to get out as far as BM. I don't think I would worry much about it for awhile at least.
Anyway, I am happy you are back!
Take it easy girl and write when you can!!
Unread 06-16-2007, 10:41 PM

You know I'm happy as can be to see you home and doing well. Don't stress over the bowel issues, things are still 'settling down' and soon you'll be saying Hehehehe... thanks for allowing me to use the smileys and making myself giggle!!! Take care!!!!!
Unread 06-17-2007, 02:10 AM

Welcome Home!!

I too had problems with my bowels too after surgery. When I asked the doc when I could go home, she said as soon as my bowels are moving. They kept me an extra day since I STILL wasn't having any kind of BMs 3 days after surgery. Finally I saw the surgeon again and said I was concerned because I just wanted to go home and I couldn't poop and I was discoouraged. Her response was "I know you will poop eventually, so we are going to let you go and we will see what happens. " This was AFTER a suppository and Milk of Mag the that morning and the same the night before. Still nothing. The nurse came into my room before my daughter was taking me home with ANOTHER Milk of Mag dose and a suppository. I told him there was no way I was going to take either of them right before getting in a car to ride the hour home on the interstate. Not this hystersister. Now keep in mind they had wanted to keep me on clear liquid diet for 2 days since I hadn't had a BM yet. Clear liquid diets are meant to cease BMs are they not since they are part of the bowel prep procedure. This wasn't making sense to me. They told me on the way out the door I could take stool softners at home if I wanted to. So on about day 6 post op, I had my husband go get some since there still wasn't anything. I took 2 at night and the next day by noon I had gone. Rather watery but I went. Since it had taken it's job seriously and nearly cleaned me out, I didn't go again for 2 days but then I was going again daily. I have noticed I am more apt to have gas from eating too much fruit. Which of course I was trying to do to help move things along. The gas hurt like the dickens but I just cut back on eating the fruit and things were fine. So I would guess it was about a week before I had any kind of BM and 10-14 days before I was normal (whatever normal is any more). I don't seem to be any worse the wear for it at this point.

So I agree with our other hystersister who said try not to stress over it. Pain killers can affect the bowels as can inactivity. But take pain killers if you need them.! I was finally was able to manage BMs AND pain killers.

It will happen. It will.
Unread 06-17-2007, 04:33 AM

Welcome back!!! Take care of you! Don't rush to the hospital for BM issues just yet - it seems many people have them post-op. You can call your doctor or nurse but I'm pretty sure they'll just suggest stool softeners first...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register