PCOS & Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PCOS & Hysterectomy? PCOS & Hysterectomy?

Unread 04-04-2004, 09:03 AM
PCOS & Hysterectomy?

Hi,

I have been a member here since 1999 and received so much support upto and beyond my hysterectomy in March 2000 for Endo & adhensions.

Today I turn to you again, not for myself, but for my step daughter who was diagnoised with polycystic ovaries after a lap to see what was causing her problems, although she had all the common signs of PCOS. This was treated during the lap and she was given metoformin for pre-diabetes to take in tablet form. The Metoformin made her sick everytime she took it, so she gave up on it and the pain only subsided for about 2 months, before returning again after the lap. They also found endometrosis as well.

My step daughter is 23 years old and considering a hysterecomy so she can get rid of the pain. She has an appointment with gyno at beginning of May, but feels it worthless to go down same route of lap as it does not last long enough.

Anyone any advice, experience of this please?

Many thanks
Gillian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2004, 02:11 PM
PCOS & Hysterectomy?

Hi ((Gillian))!! It's so good to hear from you, I've been wondering how you were doing
I'm soo sorry to hear about your SDD :-( She is soo very young...did the Dr mention any other possible treatments to help alleviate the pain? Is the med she took the only treatment option she has tried? I'm sorry for all the questions, I was just thinking that it may be a good idea to search out some other less-invasive treatments to try first?? If they are successful, then awesome...she's saved herself from undergoing such a major surgery. Also the many years ahead that she will be battling Surgical Meno <sigh> I would also suggest a 2nd opinion. They can sometimes provide some further insight, additional treatment plans, help in the actual decision process....
I have no personal experience with PCOS but I had read a lot about the symptoms, causes, treatments ect...prior to my own Hyst...heck, I think I read EVERYTHING
Here is some info from here that contains some good info into this condition. Hopefully it can be of some help to you & DD into becoming more knowledgeable of the syndrome itself and more aware of additional options for alleviating any symptoms, pain ect..it may cause:

Hysterectomy Alternatives/Options Resources
  Quote:
Traditional Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Treatments
  • losing weight, if you are overweight or obese
  • progestins (synthetic progesterones)
  • oral contraceptives
  • insulin-sensitizing anti-diabetes drugs
  • anti-androgens
  • GnRH analogs
  • fertility therapy with ovulation-inducing drugs
  • surgical therapy
PCOS Resource Center

You can also search the boards ((Gillian)) and turn up other posts/replies from other members here who have suffered this syndrome.
Good Luck with everything I hope she is able to find some answers & relief to her symptoms & conditions
Pls keep us posted on how things are going with her!
Also, when you get a chance...pls stop by The Road and let us know how *you* are doing.........((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
Unread 04-04-2004, 03:12 PM
PCOS & Hysterectomy?

Hi Sheri,

How lovely to see you again! Thank you so much for answering so fast!

<<<losing weight, if you are overweight or obese >>>

She has been over weight since a child and finds losing virtually impossible, tried many times unsuccessfully.

<<progestins (synthetic progesterones) >>

Dont know if she has tried these.

<<oral contraceptives >>

Tried this, no help.

<<insulin-sensitizing anti-diabetes drugs >>

Only Metaformin which made her sick, Doc said nothing else could be tried in this line.

<<anti-androgens

GnRH analogs >>

What on earth are these please?

<<fertility therapy with ovulation-inducing drugs>>

Not tried these.

<<surgical therapy >>

Have tried with 2-3 month ease of pain before it returns again.

As for me, Im doing well thank you. Never regretted Hyst, but 2 years after hyst had to have gall bladder removal and woke from that op in terrible pain, since been diagnoised with fibromyalgia and on lots of tablets to control as no known cure. Have heard it can be linked with endo, which I had.

Hope you are doing well?
Love
Gillian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register