Tvh-almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tvh-almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy -  feeling down Tvh-almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling down

Unread 05-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Tvh-almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling down

hi sisters,
it's been a long road for me with many complications, a nicked bladder, anemia and 4 blood transfusions. up until recently I've been feeling pretty good mentally but lately I've been feeling a little bit down is this normal? I'm still very tired and often end up on the couch every day when I do any activity. I'm nervous because I go back to work the first week of June and I hope I'm still not feeling like this. I still can't believe some of the things during my surgery happened to me and I think I'm still trying to deal with this among the fact that I had to have this hysterectomy. I just want to feel better and be myself again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Re: Tvh-almost 3 weeks post hysterectomy - feeling down

Hi Sister,

You're not alone. I can't say that I experienced any complications beyond the ones I imposed upon myself by overdoing it. But what I can say is that we walk in the same shoes, feeling down size 7. It was easier for me the first 2-3 weeks because I was medicated. Once I no longer needed the Percocet and only needed ibuprofen on occasion, the emotions of it all took over. You know, the what you know to be true versus what you're feeling at the moment?

I'm still struggling with that, but I also know that it's all apart of the journey. I don't feel very feminine these days, so I wear dresses and fix up to remind myself of my femininity every time I pass by a mirror. I'm feeling a certain amount of grief over the loss of my womb even though I no longer need it, so I remind myself all of the grief it was causing me up until the surgery. I struggle with the fact that I feel cut off from the world (I'm a workaholic), but I know it isn't true as I receive text, phone calls, and visits. I feel the need to cry for no reason though I still have my ovaries (no surgical menopause expectation), but as I watch the news, I know that I'm not the only human being struggling in this world.

Sometimes I look for real perspective, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I allow myself to feel whatever it is that I'm feeling, sometimes I don't. I don't discount my thoughts and feelings because they're real to me, in spite of. It's all about taking the time to heal physically and emotionally and I'm not rushing either.

Some think that because you look better as you walk through this journey, that your healing is almost if not totally complete. So they no longer treat you like a patient, though you technically still are. You're just recuperating at home. They are incorrect in their thinking, so there will be times that you'll have to remind them that you're still fragile, mentally and physically. I still get tired. I still have to watch myself. I still get stuck on the couch some days. I still get frustrated. And yet, I still find peace wherever I can.

I look for it visually in the Robins and Love Doves that live in my back yard, the big Bumblebees that buzz around my front porch, the Calla Lillies on my kitchen counter, a lazy cat that has chosen my house as a refuge (outside) and in the smile of my child who's face lights up EVERY time our eyes connect.

Please remember that you're not alone. Please know that. We walk along side you.

Blessings to you.

P.S. If you need to and can delay your return to work day, don't worry about it. It's all about YOUR healing process. No one else's.
Unread 05-15-2015, 12:12 AM

Hi dear sister!

I'm so sorry to hear about your complications and how you are feeling. I honestly think the majority of what's making you feel this down is the anemia. I've had my problematic uterus for 11 years and never had anemia until the surgery was scheduled! Go figure, right? Lol. Anyhow, I was anemic to the point I was a heart attack risk and would nearly collapse in the shower from simply standing too long. I too suffered psychological and emotional effects from this.

What worked for me was iron infusions and a shot called Procrit (a synthetically derived version of a hormone produced in the kidneys that stimulates hemoglobin production). Just 4 weeks of that and I felt like a new woman! It's sad that you've had 4 transfusions and that hasn't done much for you on that front.

Talk to your doctor!
Gena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genalee27 View Post
Hi dear sister!

I'm so sorry to hear about your complications and how you are feeling. I honestly think the majority of what's making you feel this down is the anemia. I've had my problematic uterus for 11 years and never had anemia until the surgery was scheduled! Go figure, right? Lol. Anyhow, I was anemic to the point I was a heart attack risk and would nearly collapse in the shower from simply standing too long. I too suffered psychological and emotional effects from this.

What worked for me was iron infusions and a shot called Procrit (a synthetically derived version of a hormone produced in the kidneys that stimulates hemoglobin production). Just 4 weeks of that and I felt like a new woman! It's sad that you've had 4 transfusions and that hasn't done much for you on that front.

Talk to your doctor!
Gena
Thank you so much for your email. Yes this anemia thing I believe is the culprit but I too feel led less feminine. ...I know it will pass. I'm hoping the iron pills I am on will kick in soon. What a journey! Thank you so much for sharing yours I really appreciate the advice. I wish you health & happiness
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor14 View Post
Hi Sister,

You're not alone. I can't say that I experienced any complications beyond the ones I imposed upon myself by overdoing it. But what I can say is that we walk in the same shoes, feeling down size 7. It was easier for me the first 2-3 weeks because I was medicated. Once I no longer needed the Percocet and only needed ibuprofen on occasion, the emotions of it all took over. You know, the what you know to be true versus what you're feeling at the moment?

I'm still struggling with that, but I also know that it's all apart of the journey. I don't feel very feminine these days, so I wear dresses and fix up to remind myself of my femininity every time I pass by a mirror. I'm feeling a certain amount of grief over the loss of my womb even though I no longer need it, so I remind myself all of the grief it was causing me up until the surgery. I struggle with the fact that I feel cut off from the world (I'm a workaholic), but I know it isn't true as I receive text, phone calls, and visits. I feel the need to cry for no reason though I still have my ovaries (no surgical menopause expectation), but as I watch the news, I know that I'm not the only human being struggling in this world.

Sometimes I look for real perspective, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I allow myself to feel whatever it is that I'm feeling, sometimes I don't. I don't discount my thoughts and feelings because they're real to me, in spite of. It's all about taking the time to heal physically and emotionally and I'm not rushing either.

Some think that because you look better as you walk through this journey, that your healing is almost if not totally complete. So they no longer treat you like a patient, though you technically still are. You're just recuperating at home. They are incorrect in their thinking, so there will be times that you'll have to remind them that you're still fragile, mentally and physically. I still get tired. I still have to watch myself. I still get stuck on the couch some days. I still get frustrated. And yet, I still find peace wherever I can.

I look for it visually in the Robins and Love Doves that live in my back yard, the big Bumblebees that buzz around my front porch, the Calla Lillies on my kitchen counter, a lazy cat that has chosen my house as a refuge (outside) and in the smile of my child who's face lights up EVERY time our eyes connect.

Please remember that you're not alone. Please know that. We walk along side you.

Blessings to you.

P.S. If you need to and can delay your return to work day, don't worry about it. It's all about YOUR healing process. No one else's.
Dear Taylor14,
thank you for sharing your story, we sound so similar. I too found that once I stopped the pain meds and switched over to just ibuprofen that is when I started to struggle with feeling down.

I love how you describe finding peace in birds and nature, I too have found myself birdwatching, maybe because I have spent so much time on the couch But it's a reminder that life does go on even after something like this.

The hardest part is resting, when I feel Good I just want to get up and clean up after my 2 14yr Olds so I catch myself all the time doing things I shouldn't. That's when I start to feel the pain in my stomach. Its a battle....

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for such wonderful advice. There are so many beautiful strong woman here and you are definitely one of them! .
Unread 05-15-2015, 07:10 AM

With everything you've been through I think it's normal to have a down period. Mine went pretty normal and I have had my down moments and grouchy moments too. I am 4+ weeks post op and I am just now up to thinking about normal life things. Before this I only wanted to rest and lay on the couch. I didn't want to have to think or be responsible for anything work related, etc. Get up and walk outside, that helps the spirit. I understand what you mean with you can't believe you've had a hysterectomy, cuz I have moments I feel like that too. I think there is an adjustment period. Hang in there and be kind to yourself.
Unread 05-15-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm66541 View Post
hi sisters,
it's been a long road for me with many complications, a nicked bladder, anemia and 4 blood transfusions. up until recently I've been feeling pretty good mentally but lately I've been feeling a little bit down is this normal? I'm still very tired and often end up on the couch every day when I do any activity. I'm nervous because I go back to work the first week of June and I hope I'm still not feeling like this. I still can't believe some of the things during my surgery happened to me and I think I'm still trying to deal with this among the fact that I had to have this hysterectomy. I just want to feel better and be myself again.
Hi Loric61
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on Apr 21 including ovaries removed. The first week was hell agony with gas and op pain. I am now 3 weeks post op and get down days of crying and feeling very down. I thought before my op that I was fine with losing everything as I had finished my family so didn't need any of it now. Following the op I found myself mourning the loss!!. I did and still feel less of a woman but my husband tries to reassure me. I have started to get hot flushes too which are a pain!. I hope you feel better soon and I suppose we have to give ourselves time. I am feeling much better health wise though. Good luck. Diane66
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriC61 View Post
With everything you've been through I think it's normal to have a down period. Mine went pretty normal and I have had my down moments and grouchy moments too. I am 4+ weeks post op and I am just now up to thinking about normal life things. Before this I only wanted to rest and lay on the couch. I didn't want to have to think or be responsible for anything work related, etc. Get up and walk outside, that helps the spirit. I understand what you mean with you can't believe you've had a hysterectomy, cuz I have moments I feel like that too. I think there is an adjustment period. Hang in there and be kind to yourself.
Thank you so much,
I think it's adjusting to the whole shock of it all. ...I really appreciate you sharing. I've tried to get out a bit more in the fresh air and I think it helps a bit. I wish you well in your recovery too, I think as women we all should be kinder to ourselves!
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane66 View Post
Hi Loric61
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on Apr 21 including ovaries removed. The first week was hell agony with gas and op pain. I am now 3 weeks post op and get down days of crying and feeling very down. I thought before my op that I was fine with losing everything as I had finished my family so didn't need any of it now. Following the op I found myself mourning the loss!!. I did and still feel less of a woman but my husband tries to reassure me. I have started to get hot flushes too which are a pain!. I hope you feel better soon and I suppose we have to give ourselves time. I am feeling much better health wise though. Good luck. Diane66
Hi!
I so understand your agony with the gas pain, I too had that and it was awful Because it made the actual pain even worse! At 43 I thought this would be a breeze, I had my family and was happy. .. Then the depression hit, but I think you described it best it's a mourning. ..a sadness. I feel like I lost a part of me. Thank you for reaching out, I wish you the best in your recovery too.♡
Unread 05-15-2015, 07:12 PM

I have nothing to add to this cuz I just had mine last week (I don't think any of this has really sunk in yet) but I wanted to send you a hug and prayers. I hope you start to feel better real soon!! 💖💖

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register