3AM 5 weeks later and I CAN NOT SLEEP! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3AM    5 weeks later and I CAN NOT SLEEP! 3AM 5 weeks later and I CAN NOT SLEEP!

Unread 10-30-2006, 11:31 AM
3AM 5 weeks later and I CAN NOT SLEEP!

Kathie -

I, too have been troubled with insomnia. I haven't been a great sleeper in the past, but since my hyst I wake up at around 1:30 almost every morning. The dogs and I eventually go downstairs and camp out on the sofa.

Getting 3 or so hours sleep each night is making me feel pretty zombie-like. I see my doctor tomorrow for my check-up, so I think I'll mention this and see if I could get a script for help. I tried the usual - benadryl, tea, walks, you name it. I'm pretty much back to my regular routine of work and everything else, and I am really tired at the end of the day.

Good luck to us all!

Maybe we should grow a couple teeth a little longer, wear capes, and go find some necks!? It's the right time of the year for that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM

Hi
Talk about not being able to sleep I am 4 weeks post -op and I tell you I can not fall a sleep no matter what I do take like sleep aid over the counter that doesent seem to work either and I tell you what its not fun if you a person cant sleep I dont know if its part of me being on only one ovary I had a TAH and kept one ovary and had ENDO as well is this normal thanks Senecaj
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM

I got a script from my doctor for Ambien yesterday - cost a fortune, even with my insurance ($100!!). If I can get more than three hours sleep, it will be well worth it.

I'll let you know - just picked up my prescription today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2006, 05:35 PM

Hi thanks for the idea for Ambiem take care and good luck senecaj
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:38 PM

My Dr just told me to try Valerian root tablets (said get Nature Made brand) I am going to get some tomorrow and give it a try. I will let you know if it works!
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Kathie,
I find naturals like Valerian to be to moderate for me - hope it works for you. Good luck. It's certainly cheaper than Ambien, but I find I only have to break the cycle with Ambien, so one Rx lasts me for a year usually.
Unread 11-01-2006, 06:03 PM

Not sure if you want to try this, but I always take 1 tylenol pm and 2 advil every night. Not sure why I take the advil, but I drop dead after about 1.5 hours (also, I have a snack right before the 1.5 hours too, ei: bowl of cereal, sandwich, cookies) and in the morning....I feel great...not groggy or anything......
Unread 11-01-2006, 06:10 PM

Doesn't insomia rot! I'm at 17 weeks at still have nutty sleep patterns. That was great wisdom from Marianne. My best time of day seems to be evenings cause I'm tired all day and don't sleep well at night either.
When I do sleep now, it is very deep, different. Doesn't help that my Dh is recoving from spine surgery 2 weeks ago. That has definaetly thrown a monkey wrench into my issues. I really have to help him a lot and it is so tiring. My best meds are immersing myself in the www and here. i found a great website today, advertised on Tv with Chryl Ladd.
Take a look, I found great information here.

www.knowmenopause.com

I'm probably gonna get in trouble for posting that link.
It was so helpful, wriiten and created by REAL DOCTORS
I wanted to share it with the pre ops too, so I posted it in the pre-op boards. I can only hope the HP won't claim it's a duplicate post of this. I'll take my chances.

Another help with sleep is avoiding all the stimulant stuff, caffeine, sugar, etc. A walk is great, helps us get our muscles naturally refreshed and then tired. It's going to get better, we just have to have patience with ourselves.

Liz
Unread 11-01-2006, 08:15 PM

You guys are sooooo great. Truthfully I don't think the Valerian root will do the trick(probably with that mind set it won't even if it could!)
Dr did not offer Ambien so I will try his suggestion a couple of times and then call for Ambien. Sleep is priceless at this point!
Unread 11-02-2006, 06:08 AM

Well, the Ambien did the trick! I took it about 8:30 last night, was asleep by 10:00. Sure, I woke up a couple of times to relieve my bladder, but fell right back to sleep until 5:00 this morning! Heaven!

On the down side - I do feel a little groggy now. I might try to take half an Ambien tonight and see if it works.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register