So nervous - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-22-2002, 04:33 PM
List of stuff for the castle

I could have used:

A small flashlight for reading in bed when I couldn't sleep (so as not to waken roomate).

A small fan...roomate was cold and I was HOT...the hospital has fans but only a few and it would have been wonderful to have one.

A small, soft throw of your own to throw over you shoulders if you sit in a chair to eat.

Best wishes all,

You will be fine and do great!!!

Debra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2002, 04:35 PM
waiting....

I have to say, waiting was the hardest part. I had just over a month between finding out it was a 'go' and actual surgery date, which was almost too much time. Worked my backside off at work to get caught up and at home, cooking and freezing things. Keeping busy definitely helps, as does this website!

As far as the catheter goes, it didn't hurt at all. What I didn't expect was that I would still have the feeling of needing to urinate. I guess I thought with the cath that things would just take care of themselves. Which they basically did, but it was just so strange to not have to get up and walk to the bathroom!
Unread 09-22-2002, 05:03 PM
The Waiting Game

Hi all,

I am 5 weeks post-op and can relate to the nervousness that you are all feeling. I cleaned and organized my house prior to my surgery and it helped to take my mind off of what I would be facing. I had a catheter too. Unfortunately my surgery was a bit more extensive so bladder work had to be done so I wore a catheter for 11 days while my bladder healed. It didn't hurt although the bladder bags the hospital sent me home with was a challenge to use until I got the hang of it. I also had a epidural which was the way to go. I didn't need pain meds until 2 days later.

Stock up on good books to read and comforting music to listen too while you're in the Castle. Those were my saving graces as well as pretty good TV while I was in the hospital and recuping at home.

I wish all of you luck and everything will turn out O.K.

Mille

TAH/BSO, fibroids, severe endo, enlarged uterus, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Nervous LIW and then some

I kept telling myself that I wouldn't write until tomorrow when I am supposed to get my date. I'm feeling like a walking fibroid and then again I keep wandering back to the thought that I could have cancer. I am scared, nervous, sad, overwhelmed, but determined to get thru whatever is on the other side of this journey.
I've only known I was a LIW since the 18th--4 days. I'm hoping you'll forgive me if I seem like I'm babbling. I am trying to keep a journal and I guess I'm finally getting tired of writing.
It just felt good to write to people that I knew would have some understanding of where I am and what I'm feeling.
Anyway...thanks for reading. Thanks for posting all of the things I am learning. I hope I will have something worthy of sharing as I go on this trip. Coo! I'd rather go Greyhound!
Unread 09-22-2002, 05:45 PM
I'm scared too

Hey, JoniP...join the club! I was just getting ready to post a "nervous" message when I read yours! It's just what I was going to post! Mine is day after tomorrow, and I am sitting here in a nice cool house and sweat is dripping down my back--it's not a hot flash, it's my nerves!! I have had surgery before, and I've had caths. They put it in after you go to sleep. While it's in, you really don't feel anything unless you trip over the tubing! There aren't many nerves in the urethra, evidentally. Taking it out is just a second, and it doesn't hurt--tugs a little. Believe me, you will be grateful for the thing!! Well, wish me luck! And good luck to you!!
Unread 09-22-2002, 06:20 PM
So nervous

:HUGS:[color=darkred]I know I'm being redundant here, but honest - waiting really IS THE hardest part. I think it's worse because .. even though you might not WANT to, you just can't help but imagine the worst .. and that creates fear .. and things just snowball.

Maybe this sounds unrealistic, or .. silly, but .. it made things a TINY bit better for me, helped calm my pre-op jitters a little by preparing for my recovery at home in a big way. I cleaned this house from top to bottom, every nook and cranny; I made as many meals as I possibly could fit in the freezer, so that we wouldn't be eating fast food or sandwiches all the time; I stocked up on books/magazines, saved my catalogues to read; I bought myself a tummy pillow (absolutely invaluable!!); I went out and bought several comfy, loose fitting nightgowns, so that I could recover in comfort. I also wrote down the friend's phone numbers that I wanted my husband to call as soon as he knew what the status of the operation was.

I think doing all this sort of gave me a purpose - sort of something to focus on besides the surgery .. because when you're busy planning all that stuff out, you actually DO tend to forget .. even if for just a little bit.
Unread 09-22-2002, 06:51 PM
So nervous

Hi Laura,

Welcome to HysterSisters!!

I'm so glad that you did decide to post. 4 days is a long time when you are scared. And a journal can't send you a , either.

You mentioned the fear of cancer - if you have been diagnosed with cancer, or the possibility of it, please also be sure to visit our cancer forum. The ladies there are very loving and knowledgeable and will help you in any way that they can.

Every woman who visits HS has experiences and insights that are what make this site so meaningful to all of us. Please be sure to post again tomorrow, and tell us what you find out.

's

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register