Pre-op visit ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op visit ? Pre-op visit ?

Unread 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Pre-op visit ?

Has anyone else NOT had a pre-op appointment setup prior to the surgery? My gynocologist didn't schedule one, (LAVH 4/11), although I have called them several times, while I was deciding whether to keep my ovaries or not - final choice: keeping the girls in the neighborhood :-). I think I am aware of everything: I received the bowel-prep info, check-in timing, and all that type of info, so I don't think I need a pre-op visit. And this site has answered the rest of my questions, plus some I didn't know I even had ! But, as I'm reading through posts, it appears almost everyone has had one/will have one.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I found a book focused on Fibroids. When I was told they were the cause of my various annoying symptoms, I raced to the bookstore for more info. It was a pretty interesting book:

"Fibroids: The Complete Guide to Taking Charge of Your Physical, Emotional and Sexual well-being" by Johanna Skilling (2006).

I was having such a difficult time deciding whether to keep my ovaries or not. They are healthy, I am 44 and there is no history of cancer on either side. My gyno told me it was ultimately my decision. Hmmm... So, I decided on my own to ask my regular Doctor to check my hormones to see how the 'ol ovaries were working. I figured that if they weren't working very well, or not at all, that would help me make my decision. He also did a CA-125 cancer marker check at the same time. Has anyone requested these done as well?

FYI - My DH has been awesome. He surprised me with a going-home comfy top/bottom to wear home from the hospital. He put up a mirror in our room so that I can see the reflection of our flower garden from bed. I have given him the map to the vacuum cleaner's location. We are all set :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Pre-op visit ?

My pre-op appt was like 3 days before my surgery date. The doctor's office didn't seem too concerned about it. I was going crazy!! I had so many questions and didn't have answers. It all ended up perfect but the doctor's offices take such a laxadasical (spelling) approach that it can be frustrating. They do this often and know everything works out in the end but forget that we only do it once!!!
Unread 04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Pre-op visit ?

i think a pre-op appt close to your surgery date is important. others might not agree but i think your dr needs to go over exactly what hes doing, what hes removing, how you should feel after, what he expects of you after, etc. listen to your heart, lungs, etc. send you for bloodwork..at least a blood count. when will you tell him you want to keep your ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Pre-op visit ?

No pre-op? That, I have never heard of. I scheduled surgery for years in several offices in 2 different states and never didn't schedule a pre-op for a patient. you got me on that one. I think that would bother me. They usually want to check your health, make sure your blood work is okay, that sort of stuff. you usually see the anesthesiologist to talk about your options. so, I'm really at a loss on what to tell you. your surgery is in just a few days so I guess I'd be calling them to make sure. Good luck!
Susie
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Pre-op visit ?

Well, maybe I'm missing something. Once I got the ultrasound results from my GP, I setup an appt with my gynocologist to discuss the findings on 3/14. He did talk to me about time off work, ovary choices, being out of work for 4 weeks, not lifting... He handed me an LAVH brochure and talked about how it was done. Then, he said to call the office back with what date I wanted to have the LAVH. I did, and then his assistant told me about not eating/drinking after midnight and what time to check-in at the hospital.

I did have complete bloodwork done by my GP several weeks ago, not related to this surgery though, so it wasn't sent to my gynocologist.

So, based on the above, did I kind of have my pre-op already?

I have called their office, based on all of your replies <thanks all>, and asked his surgical assistant to call me back tomorrow. My message asked if I should have had a pre-op appointment setup with the Doctor prior to Friday's surgery.

I am a very up-front, strong person, but she (surgical asst) makes me feel like I'm 'bothering' her with my questions. I have called 4x in the last 3 weeks - one being to set the date, on Monday to tell her I wanted to keep my ovaries, and another asking if she received my work's leave of absence papers, and one asking how many LAVH's he's done (husband's request). These seem like pretty normal questions. I really don't have any others, but your answers are making me wonder about bloodwork and stuff. I'll see what she says tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your feedback. What a terrific site :-).
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Pre-op visit ?

Well from what you said, maybe your last bloodwork will suffice. some on this site have met with the anesthesiologist the morning of surgery and that might be what they're planning for you too. but make sure your bloodwork is in there. don't be upset if he wants something different tho, ok? as far as the scheduler goes, it's a shame that she's making you feel uncomfortable. that's her job and she should make you feel as good as possible about your upcoming surgery. the new GYN I saw was wonderful as was her staff. the GYN I saw before her I can't say that about the office, they sucked and I felt like I was bothering them as well. so I think you've done fine. but if you do have questions the morning of surgery, start a list now cuz I'm sure you'll talk to your GYN that morning.
-S
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Pre-op visit ?

The GYN's surgical assistant called me back and said that he does not typically setup pre-op appointments. So, that answered that. However, she was much friendlier on the phone today. The bloodwork is done the day of the surgery at the hospital, chest x-rays are not done, and I can ask any questions I may still have with him prior to the surgery at the hospital, or call today/tomorrow. I am good with this and READY to get rid of this pain and other annoying symptoms. Just finished my last period yesterday - with a heating pad on my abdomen.

Whew Hoo !!! Thanks to all. I am so hooked on this site; it has totally lowered my initial stress level - knowledge is power :-).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register