looking for comrades to share feelings about tough times | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

looking for comrades to share feelings about tough times looking for comrades to share feelings about tough times

Unread 06-20-2006, 05:13 AM
looking for comrades to share feelings about tough times

Hi all,

I am 46 and in Massachusetts. I have a cyst on or near my right ovary that has gotten a bit bigger over the past 6 weeks. In 2003 I underwent a Uterine artery Embolization to shrink a 15cmx13cm fibroid. THis worked well and stopped my bleeding issues and pressure on my ureters. However my uterus is still too big for laproscopic surgery to be performed on this cyst and I am now facing hysterectomy per my gyn. I am, as most are, feeling depressed, fearful, a bit angry that these cysts can;t be defined without incision. I went to get a second opinion and this dr also said my uterus is too big. He gave me the CA-125 blood test although I know just having a cyst/endo/fibriod can be enough to make it inaccurate and he will have his radiologist tech do an ultrasound as well to see if they can define it any better. I told him I am anxious about having surgery for something that may not require it. How do we ever really know?

As the day goes on I get busy and feel a little more able to cope but these early mornings when I am alone in the house I feel very sad. I feel like running away and forgetting this whole thing is happening.

I don't have any close friends who have had this operation so i feel a bit isolated. My friends are supportive as is SO but you all know that unless its you , you just can't fully relate.

I'd like to make some friends. Anyone up for chats about your feelings surrounding all these events of our lives? I think it is the emotional part of this stuff that is the most challenging and burdening. The worry, the sadness, the anger, the solitude, the attempts to maintain the chin up attitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2006, 05:47 AM

SBCVulcan

I understand how you feel. I was just think about surgery on the way into work this morning.

I'll be 48 in a month and I'm due for my 6th (and final) injection of Lupron next week. I was too anemic for surgery in January when this whole mess started. Please feel free to email me.

I feel a lot like you do. SO (for 17 years) is an unusual guy. DSs may be more trouble than help. My mom is too old to help me and she's pretty worried about this.

Again, email me if you want to vent.

Rose
Unread 06-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Totally understanding

Hey there, I'm with you. I have had endometriosis for a few years now, along with the cysts on my ovaries and fibroids on my uterus. I just want it to go away. I have had 4 surgery dates scheduled now in the last 2 months, and believe me, the waiting and anxiety is getting worse. My date keeps changing due to hospital residency issues. Sometimes I wonder if I do it myself will I bleed to death. ( I really wouldn't do it, but the thought has crossed my mind a few times)

I too don't have any friends that have had this surgery, and no one seems to understand, except of course the hystersisters! Keep me in mind when you need someone to talk to, I don't really have friends, per se, but my family keeps me grounded and busy.

I am always looking for someone to talk to and listen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2006, 10:37 AM

HI there!
I am 33.. and am facing a possible hyster.
I want them to do it because I am so tird of hurting all the time.
I have been anemic since my teen years and what a relief not to be!
Email me anytime.
I love to chat!
Unread 06-20-2006, 11:13 AM

Hi there,

I too am facing a hysterectomy because I have several fibroids, an ovarian cyst that has grown in the past 6 weeks, and menorghea (not sure about the spelling).

I had the CA-125 test as well, and the numbers came back normal, but then the cyst grew and the lining in my uterus has not thinned out even though I have had several cycles, so the doctor suggested a hysterectomy.

I am so happy that my doctor told me about this website, because it is truly a God send for everyone that is going through this.

Being rid of the horrible cramping, heavy bleeding and clotting will be great, even though I know that going through surgincally induced menopause is going to wreak havoc on me. I'll be able to keep my left ovary, so hopefully that will help.

Please feel free to e-mail me anytime. We are all here to support each other.
Unread 06-20-2006, 01:48 PM

OK, had my date at the castle about 4 weeks ago. Same boat as many of you gals in terms of not knowing anyone personally I could relate to about this, THAT IS until I started talking about it. Part of my nervousness response is to start flapping my jaw! I had read that 25-30% of all American women before age 60 have a hysterectomy for one reason or another. This seemed like an unreal high statistic, but, now that I am openly talking about it with my gal acquaintances in town (I live in rural mountains) it does appear that about every other third person I talk to has had this operation! All of them that had difficulties and pain are glad they did this, and those without pains but were perhaps threatened with cancer do not regret having it done either. Before my operation, and now after, and with this website, I certainly do not feel alone anymore!

I am still recovering. It admittedly does have its moments, but the thought of having a healthy future sure does factor in as the most important reason for having this operation. Keep positive good thoughts first and foremost in your mind and you new princesses will do just fine! This recovery takes time, but as soon as you have the operation you are already on the progressive road towards improvement. Time Wise this is such a relatively little chunk out of our whole lives! Be Well! Best to You!
Unread 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM

I will definetly be making friends with all of you seperately via emails. This is great. I did want to point out that part of my frustration and sadness about surgery is that I feel fine, aside from mild discomfort from the cyst on occasion, the fibroid issue was resolved except now for its size. So it upsets me to be requiring surgery and becoming wounded and in pain when i do not feel bad. If my situation were like many of yours, I'd certainly be more welcome of the relief. I guess mine is more about piece of mind. That is what I am trying to work through.
Unread 06-20-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcvulcan
I did want to point out that part of my frustration and sadness about surgery is that I feel fine, aside from mild discomfort from the cyst on occasion, the fibroid issue was resolved except now for its size.
Hi. Kind of same thing here too that I went thru. I had some relatively minor discomforts, and heavy bleeding, but no where near in as much pain as I have read about here on this site. The good news for you is that this will resolve any of your problems down there from getting any worse! And, some troubles including female cancers, aren't discovered until you are opened up. When I first was told i need a hysterectomy and that everything must go my attitude was "if it ain't broke don't fix it," in regards to taking other parts other than my uterus. But, as soon as I started reading up on the disease possibilities, and after gathering good information and facts, I decided to sign the consent forms for the doctors to take out what they needed so we would all have a healthy success down the road! I learned that my personal "opinions" could definitely get it the way of cure and recovery, if I was not well informed or educated about what was really going on with my body. I learned that the doctors were not just eager to cut me up, and that 99.9% of everything they told me I needed to have done was what was recommended across the board with all the layperson's research that I had done. This was good, because when I went under the knife I absolutely trusted this surgical team!

Good luck to you, and know that you are not alone!
Unread 06-20-2006, 03:32 PM

Hi Sbcvulcan, I am from worcester, 41 years old and having a TAH on Friday (6/23). I have bounced back and forth on how I feel about this many times! In my heart I know that it is for the best. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or just need to vent. Remember that there are many "sisters" here to help.- purplebetty
Unread 06-21-2006, 06:21 AM

Hello. So sorry that you are feeling blue! It is hard to face this surgery when you are well.

But with an enlarged uterus and cysts, your problems may get worse and land you in the ER! There may be other issues that the gyn will find in the OR too. The latter is what happened to me. My gyn found endo, and severe adhesions. My cysts ended up causing such pain!
Wishing you the fastest pre op !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register