TVH with repairs 7/31- what to expect?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH with repairs 7/31- what to expect?? TVH with repairs 7/31- what to expect??

Unread 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM
TVH with repairs 7/31- what to expect??

Hi Girls!
I am confused about what the doctor says and what I'm reading. I am having a total vaginal hysterectomy with repairs for a cystocele and rectocele. I also have uterine prolapse. The plan is to take everything out, stitch the vaginal walls (front and back) and tack the vagina up with permanent stitches. The doctor says I should be fine to go home the next day- even if they have to make an incision (TVH planned but if need to cut to get ovaries they will), I should still be okay to leave the next day! That seems really quick from what I've read. What are your doctors telling you??

Quick history- 37 years old- Breast Cancer diagnosed 7/06; chemo 18 rounds; radiation 36 rounds- finished June 29th. So my surgery is scheduled 4 weeks after finishing radiation. My cancer was hormone positive, so I definitely want the ovaries out.

Also- any comments on having ovaries out without hormone replacement therapy. I am really worried about that!

Thank you in advance for any help!!
Jennine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Hi Jennine,
I had the same surgery you're scheduled for, a little over 3 weeks ago. I kept my ovaries. Yes, you really do go home the next day!!! Having the surgery vaginally gives a much faster recovery rate.

You will be really tired, and probably quite a bit of pain the first 2 weeks. Each person is different. You will be up and around pretty fast. I was driving within the week, but some Drs won't give te clearance for weeks.

I don't know if just coming out of cancer treatment will slow down your recovery. Just take really good care of yourself and listen to your body.
Unread 07-22-2007, 10:59 PM

I had the same surgery but kept my ovaries and was in the hospital for 3 nights. Went in on Friday and came home on Monday. That was the way my Dr. planned it and seems to be the norm where I am. But I've read on this site that a lot of the women go home the next day. Quite frankly if they provided me with the pain meds to go home with, I'd have been more comfortable at home sooner.

Everyone is different and I agree with PattiJoA, the first two weeks were the roughest. I didn't drive for 4 weeks mainly because it was too uncomfortable to sit.

I'm 8 weeks out now and am doing well. Pretty much back to normal without doing lifting/pushing or pulling anything heavy.

Sorry - I don't know much about HRT but if you do a search on some of the forums here, you will probably learn a lot.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2007, 06:29 AM

Hi Patti and Betty!
Thank you for your replies! It does seem doctors do things differently in different areas!

I asked my doctor's assistant (I only actually saw the surgeon for about 10 minutes- the assistant must have spent a half hour explaining things and answering questions) about how long I would be on bed rest and she said "Oh, no, I want you up and around the next day." But she also said I can't drive for two weeks! So do you think she means just moving from the couch to the bed or vice versa?? Because from what I've read here, they tell you to get a grabber so you don't have to get up to get the remote if it drops. I am just confused!

Also, I read about a shower seat- do you think I need one??

Sorry for all the questions, but I go in Wednesday for my post-op appointment and I can ask them more questions. I am really anxious and want to be prepared!

Thank You!

Jennine
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Don't apologize for questions - that's what this site is for!

Yes, you will be up and walking the next day - I walked the hospital halls, but you will also be spending a good part of the day in bed or on the couch for the first couple of weeks. I napped quite a bit and I'm not a napper.

I took prescription pain meds for the first 10 days or so, gradually going longer periods in between. I read alot and watched a few movies.

So, yes, you'll be up and around but doing the bare minimum. Your expectations for yourself should only to take care of your daily needs - nothing else. Well, I still did the bills and such. After the first week or so, I started washing dishes by hand, doing light laundry loads, tidying etc.

I showered the day after surgery and didn't feel the need for a shower seat. I was able to get myself something to eat and drink - just didn't lift anything heavier than the milk container.

The one thing I felt was my best friend for the first 2 weeks was a peri-bottle. It's just any old squirt bottle you can fill with very warm water and it helps to spray your perineum area when going to the bathroom. It was very soothing.

I hope this helps - ask away!
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Hi Betty!
Thank you so much- that is a big help! I think I remember that squirt bottle thing after having the kids- I remember the relief! I'm adding it to my list!

I went today for my pre-op visit. Looks like I'll be in one night unless things change. I do have to do bowel prep- Yuck! And nothing but liquids after 3pm the day before- and I never knew milk and orange juice were not considered part of a liquid diet! Glad they told me!

No pedicures at this hospital! All polish must be removed! I even had chest x-rays and an EKG! Is that normal?? I'm not sure if they did it because of chemo and radiation or if it's standard procedure. Anyway, everything looks fine!

Just making my list for my overnight bag and things I need at home.

Any suggestions about clothing after a TVH?? Most of my clothes are pretty fitted. Do you think elastic shorts will be good?

Hope everyone is doing well- and thank you for the input!

Jennine
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Good luck, Jennine! I can't believe how much you've already been thru. Hope your life gets much easier after you've recovered from this. Do you have help arranged for after surgery? Mom, aunt, friend, neighbor, co-worker? You will need it if you are only staing 1 night in the castle. Ask if you have anymore q's, Michelle
Unread 07-26-2007, 07:01 AM

Jennine, I didn't have to have a chest xray or EKG but it was on the pre-op checklist they gave me and I guess they do for some patients but not all. Also, no bowel prep for me, which surprised me but every dr is different.

I wore a sundress to the hospital and the same one home again. It saved packing. I didn't wear pants for about 2 weeks. When I wasn't in my nighties, I wore a sundress or denim skirt.

Got to tell you, I feel like a new woman - I lived with the "falling out" feeling for too many years.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:38 AM

i am having the same procedure as you but i go tomorrow,my doc said 3 days in hospital,so i was surpeised that yours will let you go next day! I will try to post something post-op to let you know about how ot went.
Unread 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM

I will be having the same surgery and I was told Bloodwork, ekg, chest xray at pre op appt. I am thinking because of my age...I'm 51...a friend at church just had TVH without repairs by the same doc and she did not have ekg or chest xray. I guess they have their reasons. Prego test is standard. I will also be home the next day if all goes well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register