No bowel prep etc | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No bowel prep etc No bowel prep etc

Unread 04-10-2008, 10:07 AM
No bowel prep etc

I've just come from my pre-op appointment at the hospital and the doctor did not order any bowel prep (thank you Lord) or any shaving instructions or anything. I'm having a SAH/USO and I reside in Canada. Anyone else from this neck of the woods have the same no-prep stuff.
We do things a little different here and we don't actually see our doctor until just before the surgery so I'm a little lost. Should I be worried about the no bowel prep. I'm kind of relieved because I have severe irritable bowel so I have no problems cleaning things out if you get my drift.
Anyway, just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
No bowel prep etc

Hi Sande5,

I too live in Canada (Ontario) but when I met with my GYN recently I asked about bowel prep and he said it wasn't necessary - just NIL by mouth from midnight. I am having a TAH which he says he always does in the mornings. He also gave me about three sheets of "What to Expect" and on that it mentions about shaving so I think it is a good idea to do it yourself. You can go slower and more carefully than the nurses!

I have my pre-op next Thursday (April 17th) so hopefully I will still have the same info then.
Unread 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
No bowel prep etc

Hi Sande5, I saw my doctor (Ontario) on Tues and he said no bowel prep just eat lightly the day before. I'm having a TVH, A&P repair and urethral sling....I'll probably take a laxitive the night before so that he has room to work done there......it's pretty crowded first thing in the morning. Ha!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 11:31 AM
No bowel prep etc

Thanks I've been reading quite a bit about preps but I haven't really gotten much info from the hospital. My last surgery in November it was the same thing no info at all. As a matter of fact I was sent home without any instructions post surgery. It's only because I used to be a maternity nurse myself that I knew a little about what to do and what not to do but this time I'm going to push for more infor. I was a bit loopy last time and it was a day surgery.
I'm not even sure what type of incision my Dr. will be making as that affects the type of shave prep necessary. I do know that on one of the sheets they gave me it says "Do not shave the operation area" which I thought was very odd. I remember to shave preps on patients and being terrified that I was going to nick them and introduce a risk of infection for them. I often wished we had instructed the C section patients to have their hubbies shave them so that at least it would be done with proper lotion etc. I know what they use at the hospital and it's not nice.
I guess I could always do some shave prep myself and make it seem as though that's the way I usually have things in that area. I should shave a design in it or something like Go Sens Go to support the play offs. hehe. Can you just imagine the look on the surgical staff's face.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't been told to do a bowel prep. As I said I have no issues with emptying things and my Dr. knows this so maybe that's why. I'm just a little nervous that she may knick my bowel while she's in there. I tend to have that kind of luck. hehe.

Thanks so much everyone. I am so blessed to have found this site. I'm still a bit terrified but I have friends praying peace over me and Scripture to meditate on so I'm trusting I'll be able to get some sleep in the next few weeks.
You guys are all such a great help and it's nice to know there are some Ontarians on the site.
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
No bowel prep etc

Hi there I am from the USA but I didn't have to have any bowel prep at all
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
No bowel prep etc

i had my pre-op yesterday and she said no bowel prep that they would give me an enema when I arrived at the hospital. BTW the Dr office just called and moved my surgery up to April 15th instead of the 16th making me even more nervous they moved it closer :
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:44 AM
No bowel prep etc

Hi Sande,

I'm having a TAH/BSO on May 12th and I do have to do a bowel prep (yuck). I think it's because my doctor isn't quite sure if he'll have to do any bowel construction once he gets in there (I'm having the surgery because of Ovarian cancer). As much as I'm not thrilled about having to do it, I know it's important to have everything clean in case he needs to work there. So I'll just soldier on.

Good luck with your surgery. See you on the "other side."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register