Nervous and Grateful for this Group | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous and Grateful for this Group Nervous and Grateful for this Group

Unread 05-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Nervous and Grateful for this Group

Hi everyone.
What a wonderful group of people you are. I found your site this morning and already feel so much better about everything that is happening to me right now.

Last Monday while looking for gallstones the sonographer found a mass in my upper abdomen (approx 7inches by 5inches in size). At the time, I was only told I had an enlarged ovary and to follow up with my regular doctor as soon as possible. I saw my regular doctor the next day (Tuesday) who told me the size of the mass , that it was a very complex situation, and that I needed to see a good ob/gyn. He set up an appointment for me with an ob/gyn that he knows for tomorrow.

I was very curious about exactly what the initial sonogram report said so I asked for a copy to be faxed to me. The conclusion of the report was: "Ovarian neoplasm is extremely likely." That sort of freaked me out because I thought "neoplasm" meant cancer. I've since learned that it just means tumor - could be benign, could be malignant.

After I saw the faxed report, I was able to get in to see a different ob/gyn the next day (I just couldn't wait a week) that was highly recommended by the nurse practitioner who does my annual exams. They did another sonogram, abdominal and vaginal. The sonographer was a wonderful person, very warm and caring. The doctor however was mute to the extreme. All he said was - "The test results are inconclusive. We won't know if it is malignant until we operate. If it is, we'll have to do a total hysterectomy. My office will coordinate setting up a surgery date with an oncologist." That was it! He was highly recommended but I'm not comfortable with him at all!

So, I still have appointment tomorrow with the other ob/gyn that my regular doctor set me up with. I hope I feel good about him. I'm a very easy-going and likable person. But, I will not go into surgery with a doctor I don't feel comfortable with.

So, why am I writing to all of you? I guess I wanted to tell my story. I'm nervous about the possibility of cancer. I'm nervous about having a total hysterectomy. And, I just wanted to reach out and make contact. Thanks for listening! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 10:19 PM

Happy Bluebird,

Please....run....don't walk... to the appt. with your 2nd Dr.!!

A cold bed pan would have had a "cheerier" bed-side-manner than your ob/gyn Dr. Wow!! I would have left his office crying. Amazing!!

I can only encourage you to go to a 2nd, 3rd, even a 4th opinion to find someone that you feel you can TRUST and feel comfortable with. This is major surgery you are contemplating and finding the RIGHT Dr. that is quailfied for you is so important!!

And, I can suggest...exhaust ALL of your possibilities.

My 1st Dr. recommended a TAH and my 2nd Dr., who I have now, recommended a laparoscopic surgery. I am very pleased with my LSH surgery results!!!

Good Luck. We Hyster Sisters are here to support you!!
Unread 05-31-2004, 10:38 PM
hi!

I just wanted to write and say good luck with everything! I had a total vaginal hysterectomy on 5/25/04, and am still new to this whole recovery thing.....lol.

I will say a prayer for you that everything will turn out ok. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 10:51 PM

Definately get the second opinion. Further testing should include CA-125 (blood test) and either a CT-scan and or MRI. I had TAH/BSO May 20th for a 15 cm ovarian cyst and a similar sized fibroid.

You DO need to have this removed to determine exactly what it is. You WILL need to have an open surgery (laparasocopy is not an option due to size) to completely remove the ovary and avoid the possibility of spilling the contents.

Mine turned out to be a benign serous cystadenoma, still awaiting final pathology report.

Please send me a personal message if you want to discuss further as I have done extensive research and have excellent access to other medical resources.
Unread 06-01-2004, 05:12 AM

Praying for better experience with your second opinion!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register