Second Opinion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second Opinion? Second Opinion?

Unread 06-22-2001, 07:54 PM
Second Opinion?

How would I go about getting a second opinion on whether or not I need a hysterectomy? I have been to my gynecologist and my family doctor, who basically agree. I have periods which are quite heavy one day, and full of clots the next, so am basically confined to the house for two days. My uterus is in Stage One Prolapse. The gyn. offered me Danazol or a hyst., and my family doctor agreed. She did say that perhaps a low dose BCP would help, but after reviewing my chart and finding the a D and C did nothing but make the problem worse, tossed that idea out. Someone suggested Ibuprofen every four hours during my period to lessen the blood clots, but I don't want to do that for the next fifteen years or so (I'm 37), plus it would kill my tummy. I guess I have already had two opinions, but am wondering about a third? The problem is that in my town all the gyns. are in one office, and I would feel like a traitor if mine saw me waiting to see someone else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2001, 08:35 PM
Second Opinion?

slb,

If you even think that a second opinion is needed get one. I have had many surgeries and work in the medical profession and I get second - third and fourth opinions if I want them. This is your body and only you can make the decison. You need to feel comfortable with your decision and you probably need more information.
Don't worry about the doctors feelings it happens all the time. If your doctor is a good one they will understand. However why not get the name of another doctor from a different community and see them. Perhaps you can find a physician that deals with your particular problem. Maybe there is a medical center nearby that you can get in contact with and see if they will make an appointment for you. I finally decided to have a TAH/BSO 7/30/01 and Dr. #2 will do the surgery and I will resume my relationship with my regular gyn Dr. afterwards (I hope) I'm still working that out. :-) I'm optimistic!! I really love my regular doctor but want the surgery at a different institution than she works out of.

I wish you alot of luck in your decsion making process. It takes a while to feel OK about the surgery and you should be kind to yourself and take as much time as you can and need without compromising your health.

Linda
Unread 06-23-2001, 05:50 AM
Second Opinion?

Sandy, By all means get as many Opinons that you can!! I had a TAH on Feb 20th. My Obgyn was a man doctor who had been my Doctor for 11 years!! Around 8 weeks Post Op I was still in Severe Pain and I finally talked him in to sending me for a TransVaginal Ultrasound. Oh by the way I kept my Ovaries. Well I found out I had a large Cyst on my right ovary. And he wanted me to wait 6 weeks and come back and he would send me for another Ultrasound!! Needless to say I left his office that day and never looked back. A Lady at work talked me into going to her Obgyn and she is a Lady. She did another Ultrasound and saw that the cyst had grown and was leaking. We decided to do Laprascopic Surgery and remove the cyst and the ovary. But when she got in there during surgery, she discovered that my right ovary that the first doctor had suspended had fallen down and adhered itself to my Vaginal Cuff, and I had a lot of endo and scar tissue everywhere. But thank God she was able to correct the problem!! So my Opininon and Advice to you is YES get a second, Third, Fourth, Fifth Opinion, do whatever it takes!! It is your Body and only you know how you feel!! Best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2001, 06:40 AM
Second Opinion?

Slb - If you think you need second opinion get one...if you feel comfortable with the opinions of your other drs...that's ok too. It's truly what you feel you should do...and what's best for you...no one can make the decision for you. Sounds like you're unsure...and if that's the case...check into it further.
Unread 06-23-2001, 03:56 PM
More Than One Opinions

Many insurance companies will pay 100% for second opinions. I wonder if they will be as generous when we seek more opinions like Dot and Tweetie suggested?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register