Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo? Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo?

Unread 01-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo?

Hello all! Ok so I have been contemplating a lot about my upcoming surgery. I do have to have a TAH because I have never carried a pregnancy to term so my uterus is still very high up and will be next to impossible to access vaginally. I have been reading stories on here, studying up on what to expect normal vs. abnormal etc. I am also a nurse, not in clincial practice as I am not an instructor. However, many stories are for endo. I do not have endo. I have PCOS with heavy flow, clotting, and cramps. I am done with it all and taking the plunge. So anyone else like me? Anyone out there? Thanks in advance for any guidance, well wishes, and everything else! Good luck to us all in this new year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Re: Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo?

*raises hand*

TAH for a gigantic fibroid -- 13cm x 10cm with a 4cm clown nose on the front -- and no endo whatsoever. My surgery was fairly uncomplex compared to some: no endo or adeno, no prolapses, and no cancer issues. The whole thing consisted of wrestling what I refer to as Gigantor the Demon Uterus out of a low bikini incision. I also kept my ovaries, which have been ticking along as usual thus far.

Had my surgery Halloween 2013, and the recovery was pretty much as expected or a little better since I'm a habitual walker and hence was in decent shape and got up not long after surgery to get moving again. Had the typical constipation-gas nonsense to deal with afterwards, and was on percocet and ibuprofen for a week and a half afterwards, as well as Miralax for a month before and after to help get/keep things moving along.

Since I had never had kids, my vagina was nowhere near ready to pass along anything that size, and the uterus was too large for a lap/daVinci surgery.

Currently, I feel FANTASTIC.
Unread 01-02-2015, 02:53 PM

I had a TAH not due to endometriosis or PCOS but rather due to endometrial cancer. Both my gyn and gyn onc said that a TAH with a vertical incision would give the gyn onc the most room to look around and see if the cancer had spread and if so, how far. I was hardly going to argue with that! :-)

I've also never been pregnant, but that was never mentioned as affecting the choice of surgical technique.

For me, my TAH worked out very well. I had a pleasant three-day hospital stay followed by an easy recovery with no complications and minimal pain. I was off narcotics by the time I left the hospital.

I live alone with my two cats and had no problems taking care of the three of us. Mostly I spent my time going for short, frequent walks, reading, sewing, playing with the cats and working on my computer. To be honest, it was one of the most relaxing vacations I've had in a long time.

I went back to work at a part-time desk job at four weeks with a restriction on lifting 30-40 lb boxes in the archives area. The boxes had to wait until six weeks when all my restrictions were cleared. Life was back to normal by eight weeks.

Another surgical technique might have given me a shorter recovery, but it could hardly have given me an easier one! :-)

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornACrone View Post
*raises hand*

TAH for a gigantic fibroid -- 13cm x 10cm with a 4cm clown nose on the front -- and no endo whatsoever. My surgery was fairly uncomplex compared to some: no endo or adeno, no prolapses, and no cancer issues. The whole thing consisted of wrestling what I refer to as Gigantor the Demon Uterus out of a low bikini incision...
Now, see, I would say that my own surgery was "fairly uncomplex" because it was *only* for cancer and didn't involve wrestling any gigantic fibroids out of there!

Everything's relative. *grin*
Unread 01-02-2015, 03:10 PM

Thank you ladies! I am feeling much better now. I do not mean to downplay any conditions, my own or others but I keep reading these stories about endo and awful recoveries or at least more complex. Mine is more a lifestyle hyst I guess you would say vs. fibroid, cancer, endo, etc. The closer I get the more I realize that this is what is best for ME and that is what I have to focus on. It greatly helps to hear from others who have had a similar situation in surgery choice and recovery time. Now to relax this weekend as we continue to tidy the house which is needed in general and for my recovery. I am really hopeful to be back to work within a week of surgery, I am an instructor and my first week is just in the office. I will have a chair to sit in as needed when teaching, I can walk around, which I do normally while lecturing, and my hubby will drive me until I am cleared to drive. I truly do feel much more at peace now so I appreciate this!
Unread 01-02-2015, 03:13 PM

I'm not saying that you can't go back to work within a week of abdominal surgery. Certainly people have done it. However, it does strike me as rather ambitious. You may want to have a back-up plan just in case.
Unread 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM

Oh I have a backup also. No worries there. That is the beauty of being an instructor in a small college. I have let my boss know what is going on but she is not on campus yet. What I may end up doing is just putting in some extra time when I am feeling better so towards the end of the semester.
Unread 01-02-2015, 04:20 PM

I am also having TAH because of PCOS - horrible heavy flow, clotting, and cramps that leave me in the fetal position! I'm having a TAH because I've had one kidney surgery and 3 c-sections and the doc is worried about scar tissue and adhesions. I'm looking forward to no more PCOS pain but I am honestly scared. I just keep telling myself, the ends justify the means. Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 01-03-2015, 03:40 PM

Brightteach--glad to have some company! Feel free to keep in touch as you recover! I am nervous as this is the first time I am going under. But looking forward to no more flooding! My MD told me I will still have cyclical pain but I am hoping that my cysts will not be as bad with my tubes gone. The past 2 years I have had some tubal spasms around ovulation time or just some growth of cysts about mid-cycle and so I am hoping with the tubes gone it will be less uncomfortable and painful as it can be painful. Only time will tell. I figure if the ovaries get really bad at least that is a lap procedure, but really hoping they just shut down! I know I am young for that but I have had some pretty decent hot flashes already over the past 2 years and so ready to let it go
Unread 01-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Hi

I had a TAH as my bowel was stuck to my uterus - turns out this method was the best for me as post op histology diagnosed severe Adenomyosis. My uterus was a typical Adenomyosis uterus enlarged, boggy and full of blood and I felt like a new woman afterwards!

The first week post op was not easy - I felt quite tired and achy. Maybe due to my bowel being handled during op, but it took a good couple of weeks to get working happily again.

I hope you're well enough to go back to work when you want, but maybe have a plan to cover you for at least 3-4 weeks.

Good luck x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register