Discharge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Discharge

I will be at my 4 week milestone since my TVH (still have ovaries) on Monday. I have had this brown discharge since leaving the hospital but figured it would have stopped by now. It is light, but consistent and frankly is beginning to make me a little weary. It starts off as a light bleed.

Do you think I have torn or stretched something or is this normal? I am really ready for this part of the process to be behind me... I take 3-4 baths/showers a day to feel clean.

Need advice badly....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Discharge

Dear llcha,

I am 6 weeks, 3 days post-op and I still have a discharge. It went from pink to yellow to brownish to beige. When I had my six week check up, my doc said it was some sutures that had not finished dissolving and he told me to give it two more weeks. He also told me to deuche twice a week with water vinegar solution or a ready to use disposable deuche like Massengil. Check with your doctor first and foremost. Other posts that I've read say that granulation was the reason for the discharge. I was getting pretty concerned myself. My discharge seemed to be light, then all of a sudden, it would be a little heavier, enough to really bother me. I am still wearing panty liners.

You might want to call your doc, or if you have a follow up check up coming up soon (it seems all doctors have different schedules of when they want us to come in), tell him/her about your discharge and ask if there is any granulation or what is the reason for the discharge.

I had a TVH/BSO on September 10. It seems most of us with TVH have some kind of discharge that lasts a couple of months or so. I'm still waiting for mine to go away. I too am ready to put all this behind me and stop with the panty liners/pads!

Hope this helps a little!

Lots of Hugs to You.
Unread 10-25-2003, 07:28 AM
Discharge

I wouldn't worry too much -- I am almost 7 weeks post-op and still having a light discharge. I saw my doc last week and he said the pinkish/brownish/yellowish discharge was caused from granulation, which he cauterized with silver nitrate. Then he told me I would have a brown/black discharge for about 3-4 days. YUCK! GROSS!! It is almost a week later, and I am still having enough discharge that I have to use a pantyliner all the time, but at least it isn't black any more. It is a bit discouraging -- but one day it will stop, and I will be forever free from bleeding!!! Hang in there, and if you are really concerned, call your doc. That is what you are paying him for, right?

Brenda
Unread 10-25-2003, 09:02 AM
Discharge

Hi!

I had a light pink/brownish discharge that started at about 2 weeks post-op. When I saw my doctor at my 6 week exam he discovered I had a bit of granulation. (Tissue trying to form over some undissolved stitches). He cauterized the area with silver nitrate.

The stitches begin to dissolve at about 2-4 weeks post-op so some discharge can be normal.

My doctor said nothing in the vagina - including douche. In fact he said he does not recommend douching at all anytime because it can kill the natural bacteria found in the vagina. Similar to if you take too many antibiotics when you don't really need them - kills some of the bacteria that your body does need. Also if you would have an infection douching could push the bacteria further into your body. Always check with your doctor first.

Keep pampering yourself!

s
Unread 10-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Discharge

Hang on to your pantyliners girls !!! I had discharge (yellow, beige, clear) for 10 weeks. I had told my Dr. about it and he advised it would be there until all my interior sutures had healed. I had no granulation, no pain just the constant dribble. Totally normal I was told, not to sweat it. At 10 weeks it stopped dead and I haven't had a dribble since. I know it was a nuisance and the one thing that I worried about after reading all the granulation stories, but I was told it was completely normal even at 10 weeks so don't sweat the small stuff, this too shall pass.
Take care sisters
Billee
Unread 10-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Discharge

I had my TVH/BSO + bladder repair 10 September. I've seen no real drainage the last two days - but wouldn't be surprised if it reappears. It's just dissolving stitches - and nothing to worry about. Just remember - this too shall pass.
Unread 10-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Discahrge

Hi llchavarry
I had the same thing at my 4 week check up. I told my Dr. he said it was normal. He explained to me as the vagina heals it forms little pockets. Which fill up with blood after surgery, but as they disapte (go away) the blood has to go somewhere. So we end up with a discharge and some bloody show. Mine went from red to pink then to a rusty brown then to yellow. He did give me some salve for the foul odor, from the stiches desolveing.. But to be safe I would call your Dr. just to ease your mind. He said I would be experienceing allot of new thing's and not to be alarmed. Unless I was bleeding heavy .. I am now past the 2 month make ... Geeze time flys ... I still have a small discharge, but no blood .. I don't go back to see him until next year, I don't need a 6 or 8 week post appt .... wahOoooo
Best Wishes
Enjoli
Unread 10-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Douche'

Hi texansfan
I am jealous my Dr. told me not to douche' Eeek .. I haven't yet but I don't feel clean if I don't do it .... I was told years ago to douche' but now I am told that it will break down your own PH that is sapose to clean us out ... Go figure I am going to call my Dr. back I am 2 months post op now, and would love to douche' again ....
Enjoli

~*Mary B*~
Unread 10-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Discharge

Some women do have discharge as the stitches dissolve. However, if it develops a nasty odor, please call your doctor as this may not be normal.
Unread 10-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Discharge

I hope that is all it is. I might go early to see my DR. THANKS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register