Where DOES this vagina go anyway? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where DOES this vagina go anyway? Where DOES this vagina go anyway?

Unread 12-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Where DOES this vagina go anyway?

We invited my surgeon, a close friend, to lunch on Sunday. I had a TVH, and was worried about the same thing. He promised me nothing would fall out!

He also brought me photos and the path report (all benign ) He is rather pleased with himself as my biggest fibroid was 15 cm and he really thought he would have to do a TAH as I had never given birth).

If I understood what he said rightly, the vaginal cuff is attached to the ligaments that held the uterus in place and some part of my vagina is stitched to my rectum, which would explain some discomfort (presumably during BM) while healing. I can relate to that!

It's funny how we all worry about the same things at about the same point in recovery, isn't it?
B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 07:06 AM

The vagina attached to the rectum part kind of freaks me out a little, lol. I mean, I can think of all kinds of goofy stuff that could happen if I let my mind wander. In my case, now that the pain is consistently managed or gone, I have the "luxury" of thinking of all that went on behind the scenes. It must be a part of something like the stages of grief- if you know what I mean. But this isn't grief, it's just recovery.
Unread 12-20-2005, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipee
The vagina attached to the rectum part kind of freaks me out a little, lol.
It does sound a bit freaky. "Anchored" rather than "stitched" would probably be a better description. Mind you, this is what was done to me, other doctors probably have other techniques for keeping everything in place.
B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 08:51 AM

my hysto was in 82 , 2 part hysto, uterus first (huge fibroid growing out my cervix) and 6 months later ovaries , due to huge cysts, and one was shrunk up and basically non functioning.
anyway, i've had leaking bladder problems for years,so
In April I saw a pelvic recnstruction doc and he did a vaginal vault repair and repaired my ureathal area with a mesh sling . He said the vaginal vault had slipped down a tiny bit, and it was a POST HYSTO problem. I looked it up and sure enough ,it is a problem after hysto's, the vaginal vault slipping. He also found a fibroid tumor right up there at the apex of the vagina. I am assmuning that means at he vagianl cuff. anyway, it is ok now.
Someone mentioned about the vagina being sewn to the rectum. Well, one thing that hapens to me, and I hope this does not gross anyone out, when my rectum is full of bowel, and I am feeling like I need to have a BM, welll, I "feel" it in my vagina, it feels very stimulating. Many times I willl feel that "stimulating" feeling in my vagina first, and wonder what has got me aroused, then somewhat later figure out I need to have a BM . I'm sorry, I was not sure how to word that. The doc said I have a small rectocele, but he did not want to repair it b/c he felt it woud only make it worse and it was best to leave it alone.
anyone else out there understand what i hav said?
vali
Unread 12-20-2005, 09:31 AM

I, too had a hysterectomy in 1982. Had cystocele, rectocele and sacrospinus ligament fixation (vaginal vault prolapse) on Dec 5th. Dr. said that I did not have a vaginal cuff at all and was subject to the entire vagina turning inside out. Dr. explained to me that when doing ligament fixation along with hysterectomy, he attaches the top of the vagina at a place further back than he is able to when hysterectomy was earlier. When he got in there, he was able to get back to the most distant location with one side, but had to fixate it to a closer point on the other side. Said the vagina will have a slight angle to it, but should not be too noticeable. Also, said that the amount of tissue taken out can result in a narrow and shorter vagina. No guarantee, but said that with patience and time, it will adapt to DH. One a funny note - while crying one night about it, DH said "if it too small, I will just have a penis reduction!" Not that I even dream that he would, but it sure made me feel good! Made me laugh and quit crying. Going for 2 week checkup today and nervous about it. Recovery has been tougher than I had imagined - major problem has been bowel movements. I share some of the previous thoughts on that - much more sensation and pain. Worrying about becoming so "bowel conscious!" Like an old lady, I don't want to admit that I am!
Unread 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM

Another site you might check is www.pelvicfloor.com. There are some pretty graphic pictures of procedures there.
Unread 12-20-2005, 10:21 AM

Ok, this is so interesting. Sensations, narrowing, shortening. Lord have mercy. Is it like being a virgin again? Sorry for tmi. I have nightmares about husband finishing sex and retracting, WITH MY VAGINA ATTACHED! Sorry for tmi, really!!!! I'm so scared of the idea of this new sex it isn't funny.
Unread 12-20-2005, 05:43 PM

I understand completely. After surgery my doctor told me that my vagina was glued to the rectum .. that explains a lot!! Including the occasionoal sharp pains like something tugging at the vaginal wall. He said they were able to separate all but a bit where the cervix was also glued on. So, he left that little bit of cervix attached to the rectum and told me that it should help "hold things up in there".

Well, now I have this constant sensation in the rectal area. I'm guessing maybe it's the vagina tugging on it a bit? At least it's not painful.
Unread 12-21-2005, 12:18 AM

I found this post to be very helpful.I too was wondering the same thing.My doc. gave me a wt. rest. of 20 pds. due to vagina walls could prolapse.I also have to have my colon put back up during my hyster because it prolapsed.I just worry about this everyday, hoping and praying everything will stay in place.I really don't want another surgery.
Unread 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM

My 2 week checkup was yesterday. All is healing well - Dr. had to separate some adhesions between the rectocele and cystocele repair (2 incisions on top of each other) but was not too painful. He told me to expect 100 days to be 100% - and no lifting over 10 lbs. Thinks part of my bowel problems is that I had such a large rectocele that my bowels had become used to having a storage reservoir for the stool in the rectocele. With it gone, the bowels are having to figure out how to work again. I don't want to go through this again, so will be very conscious on avoiding constipation and lifting too much.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register