Pre-op weight-loss | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op weight-loss Pre-op weight-loss

Unread 03-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Pre-op weight-loss

Hi, I have a question about weightloss. Is it better to try and lose extra pounds before the surgery? I am about 30 lbs overweight. I dont know if this will be an issue with the ps since I haven't had my first consult yet.

Please let me know your experience with weightloss. I would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to lose weight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Re: Pre-op weight-loss

I lost 25 lbs before the surgery. I lost another 10 from the surgery. Kept on losing through the first three weeks of recovery, then I got my appetite back. Gained 7 lbs back. Started dieting this week and getting a grip on things, now 11 weeks post op. Lost a couple pounds already. I recommend losing the weight first. On one of these posts in this group it says that even though your tummy is flat, your butt, your back, and your arms will still be fat, and my case, my pounds came right back just like they did before. I will always have to be vigilant with my weight, it's genetic. My PS said that he didn't have to go as far across my hips because of the weight loss. Good luck!
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:23 PM

I am carrying some extra weight too. I have joined a gym, and have 6 weeks until I go to the castle. I don't have an iron clad goal, but just want to get healthier before...by strengthening all over, it will help those muscles you will be using more to compensate for what you won't be able to do!
It makes sense that the more fit you are, the easier your recovery will be...
It seems logical to me, and I'm hoping it helps my recovery...
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM

I agree with Pbjam... the fitter you are, the better off you will be after surgery. I lost about 35 lbs in the year and a half before surgery through daily brisk walking. I know it make a huge difference in my recovery.
The other bonus of losing the weight was that I discovered myself that I had fibroids. Before, I assumed that my tummy was sticking out just because I was heavy. Who knows how long I would have suffered with a squished bladder before they would have been discovered? I have 9 lbs to go to reach my goal weight. =)
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM

As a fluffy sister now on the other side, I heartily wish I had lost some weight first. My surgery went just fine, and I am safely home. But I think that my recovery might have been easier if I weighed less.

Also, I now feel so bad for the folks at the hospital who had to lift me, or help me to lift myself. I received excellent care, and am so sorry that I didn't take the months leading up to my surgery to shave off a few pounds to make their jobs a little easier.
Unread 04-01-2011, 04:51 PM

I've lost 90 pounds in the last 2 years with another 140 to go. Ugh. If you have the time before surgery, use it for good, but also do t over do it. Losing too fad will cause it all to come back. Slow and steady is the best way. My physio didn't want me losing more than 2 pounds a month. I was a little bad and lost 4.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register