Calling all One-Month Princesses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Calling all One-Month Princesses Calling all One-Month Princesses

Unread 08-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Calling all One-Month Princesses

Today is exactly four weeks since surgery. I was so sure that I was going to be up and enjoying my time of "leisure" - maybe go shopping, eat with friends, read good books. Wow, was I wrong. WARNING, this is definately a venting!

I can't sleep but I'm tired and yawning all the time!
Taking two laps around the interior of my house is about all the energy I have!
I'm still wearing a pad for discharge.
I'm still resorting to pain pills.
My face is oily; I'm having hot flashes!
I'm crazy with cabin fever, but leaving the cabin for even the shortest of time wears me out!
I'm still wearing gowns because everything else hurts my incision!
I'm starting a new business and need to be getting ready for that, but spending 30 minutes writing thank-you notes is all I can bear!
I morph into a balloon with a head and arms/legs in search of a pin to pop me by mid-afternoon.
Talking to people I love sends me into tears.

So, how are you other four-weekers doing?

Am I losing my mind? Am I hypochondriac of the highest order? (The doc says everything is normal - normal has never looked so dismal! And before you suggest it, I'm already on the Prozac!)

Hyster sisters is the only place I can come where someone might understand!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Bethel,

I felt kinda like you when I was at 4 weeks. I'm at 5 1/2 weeks postop now and there has been a remarkable amount of healing and feeling better going on in the last week and a half. I truly feel almost like myself again. Still get tired quicker than normal, but other than that I feel pretty good.

I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 08-18-2005, 04:28 PM

Hi Bethel -- My 4 weeks was Tuesday, so I'm 4 weeks + 2 days. Just want to let you know you're not alone here.

I have insomnia a lot, and am tired all the time.

Yesterday I made 2 laps around the outside of my house and that was enough. I can't really go for walks here because I'm in the country and other than the pad around the house, it's all uphill or downhill on a dirt road. I walk around the inside of my house a lot, but that's not much.

I wear panty liners--was wearing regular pads the first few days but didn't really need that much. I've had light spotting mostly.

I also have cabin fever. It's a little depressing to have all this wonderful time off but not being allowed to do anything fun, or having the energy to do anything fun. I also hoped for more quality (fun) leisure time while I'm off from work. My mind and body aren't cooperating yet.

Here's to hoping next week we have miraculous improvements! I sure hope so, because soon I'll have to go back to work--arrrgh!

Anyway, other than that, I'm wonderful! HA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2005, 05:07 PM

I'm so sorry you are having such difficulties. I'm assuming you had your ovaries removed. I kept mine, so how I am doing at this point (four weeks tomorrow) probably can't compare to how you are doing. I am doing great. I feel like I never had surgery. I'm finally able to sleep, have lots of energy, and am back at work. I still have a slight discharge, but it's not much. I wear panty liners and hopefully will be able to get rid of those in the near future.

I hope you get some relief. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor what you are going through. Are you on HRT?
Unread 08-18-2005, 05:57 PM

I am 4 weeks tomorrow!! YEA!!!!

So far - except for the infection in my incison - which is finally closing up and the stomach flu I had last week (lost 7lbs) I feel better now than I have since surgery!!!

But,
I can't sleep but I'm tired and yawning all the time!
I'm still wearing a pad for my incision leaking (verticle one at that)
I'm still resorting to pain pills.
I'm having hot flashes!
I'm crazy with cabin fever, but leaving the cabin for even the shortest of time wears me out!
I'm still wearing all shorts with elastic waist because everything else hurts my incision!
I morph into a balloon early evening!
I have to lay down quite often to take the preasure off of stuff - even if I don't take a nap!!!
Unread 08-18-2005, 06:02 PM

I'm almost four weeks post op and I kept my ovaries and feel just like you Bethel. I can't sleep, walk long periods of time and just plain wish I felt better. I just knew by this point I would be okay, NOT!!! I have even started working from home four hours a day and by 1 pm I am dead tired. It takes everything in me to just get up from the computer and go lay down. So no you are not alone in this.
Unread 08-18-2005, 06:05 PM

One month today for me. Had my 4-wk post-op today and told healing well. Still some discharge from stitches, but told should be done in week to 10 days - I hope!

Go back to work on Monday and am sure that even with ˝ days it will probably be a strain. I have resumed some of my exercising, just not as much and take a nightly walk (about ˝ mile).

Dr. said I can do almost everything I want, including bowling. Was told to hold off on sex for another week or so until the stitches are completely dissolved.

Pathology report of fibroids was normal - no more pap smears (yay!) and do not have to see him for another 6 months.
Unread 08-18-2005, 06:32 PM

4 weeks last Monday for me. I think I was pretty lucky. I feel pretty good and started back to work half days. I will start full next week. I can walk as fast as I did before now, which makes me happy, but it does tire me out. Hang in there and feel better soon! I have not had any discharge at all. I pretty much feel like myself this week.
Unread 08-18-2005, 10:40 PM

Im not sleeping well either, keep waking with hot flashes. So I'm always tired. I felt like I should be making more progress too. Then all of a sudden, on Wed. I felt so much better. A lot less sore. I still feel tired and have hot flashes but able to stay up more of the day and walk more. It was just so wierd that it happened just all of a sudden. Hope that happens soon for you, just keep taking short walks. Don't give in to laying around all day, but certainly don't over do it either. Good Luck
Unread 08-19-2005, 05:23 AM

4 weeks & 1 day and I really can't complain. I have been on the go since the dr let me drive - 2 weeks now - and not slowing down. I am still taking it easy around the house. DH won't let me do laundry, vacuum, or lift anything over 10 pounds - I am soo booored! I don't like to sit around so doing crafts and reading are out of the question. I can't wait til the dr says I can go back to work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register