hysto questions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysto questions? hysto questions?

Unread 10-19-2005, 07:42 PM
hysto questions?

Hi, I have been battling severe endometriosis for almost 10 years. I have had a Lapro and 2 D&C's...I have also been on a 7 month course of Lupron. Since 1997 I also took Aygestin everyday... Recently, I had my 2nd D&C and was taken off the Aygestin... Less then 3 weeks, I started a heavy period with severe pain...I still am having some pelvic pain, but the bleeding has stopped...I am basically just waiting for that shoe to drop...I have had a severe stabbing pain in the right breast and no doctor has been able to figure that one out...
I am 40, never had any children...and at this point, doubt if I want any. I meet with my dr next week to discuss what the next steps are... Basically, I am looking to do the hysto. I have a dr ob/gyn friend (male) that says to go for the hysto..and many of my other friends and family have said the same thing...
I am just looking for some insight and any other suggestions, advice or basically anything you can share with me about endo. and hystos...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2005, 07:56 PM
hysto questions?

I had a TAH/BSO. I never had endo - had some fibroids and an enlarged uterus. My periods were so painful, heavy and close together that I decided to go for the hyst. For me, it's the best thing I've ever done. The hospital stay was pretty miserable and first week home uncomfortable, but after that all I had was discomfort. Went back to work at 3 weeks post op with no problems and have been feeling great since about 5 weeks. I had my ovaries taken and have been lucky - have'nt had any menopause symptoms. If you are thinking about having yours removed, you should discuss
with your doctor about HRT. I've heard other sisters with endo say they could not take any HRT due to the endo. Emotionally, I am so much better off than pre-op - I didn't realize how much the PMS was getting me
Best wishes - I know it's a tough descision to make.

Jean
Unread 10-19-2005, 08:44 PM
hysto questions?

thanks for the reply....
I have had trouble taking BCP's due to having some "stroke like symptoms"... and not being able to do estrogen b/c of the endo... I will have to find that all out when I got to my appt next week...
thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2005, 12:26 AM
hysto questions?

I suffered with endo for 15 years (actually, it was probably much longer). I did lupron several times and had a lapro. Nothing really solved the probem. I was in constant pain to the point that the folks in the emergency room knew me on sight. I was a horrible wife, friend and lover.

I finally decided that the only way for me to have any quality of life would be to have the surgery. I had no idea how true that was! I am so much healthier and happier now. It's been a year and people who haven't seen me in the past year absolutely don't recognize me. A week doesn't go by without someone telling me how great I look. It's been years since someone has told me that.

My sex life is better, my family life is better and I feel great. My biggest regret is that I wasted so many years feeling terrible.
Unread 10-20-2005, 03:12 AM
me too!

I have battled with endo for 15 years as well since i was 15 years old! I'm only 3o years old and have been through numberus surgeries including to many DNC lol 2 laproscopy and reacently a hysterscopy test plus I have tried hormones for my never ending heavy bleeding and luron shots (yikes @ the hotflashes and night sweats especially when it didn't help any of the problem so it only added to it) and now have a severe infection whch is probably from the hysterscopy test i'm now told .. so yeah ONLY YOU ultimatly can make that descion but I my self am done with this pain and torture and have opted for the surgery! as soon as this infection is gone I will be setting yet another date for the surgery and personaly as nervouse as I am about it all at the same time when I'm at my worst I find myself hoping that it comes sooner rather then later ! Everyone is different though I know you will make the right descion for yourself I hope you feel better soon xoxox
Unread 10-20-2005, 03:42 AM
hysto questions?

Amen, heatherly! I only had one Lupron shot, and that was enough for me. I was told that even after all the treatments I was torturing myself with that none of them guarateed relief, and the horrible side effects seemed almost too much to bear! I have decided that although I am young, and although it will be a tough road to go down for a couple of weeks, the surgery is definitely the best option for me. I can't understand torturing myself (and my family) with endless bcp's and other "minimally invasive procedures" along with mind numbingly expensive shots, when I can be cured with a short castle visit. I don't know, I guess I have just accepted my situation, and have decided that doing so positively will help those around me stay positive too. I won't lie and say I am not scared about anything, but if I had known even last year what I know now, I would have done this last year. ~ Bearah
Unread 10-20-2005, 07:23 AM
hysto questions?

Hi mermaid48

I also suffered with endo for many years and decided to have a hysterectomy because of the amount of pain I was in and the fact that my quality of life just wasn't where I wanted it to be.

I have learned after reading many post from women at hystersisters that a hysterectomy does help many women with their endo pain. Unfortunately a hysterectomy does not always solve every womans pain.

Much of it depends on the location and depth of the endo and if the surgeon is able to remove all the endo at the time of the surgery.

Endo is a very complex disease and each doctor has different ideas on the best way to treat women with endo. Some doctors will remove the ovaries, while some doctors do not think it is necessary. Some doctors have women wait for a period of time (usually 3-6 months) before starting estrogen therapy because estrogen stimulates endo. Some doctors have women use progesterone with estrogen because progesterone inhibits the growth of endo.

Since there are so many different ways to treat endo, it is very helpful to read and research as much as possible so that you can help make an educated decision along with your doctor.

I feel it is also important to get a second or third opinion since there are so many different ways to help women with endo and there may be an alternative treatment option available.

Here is a link to the resource section that may be helpful.

Endo resources

Here is a link that explains that surgical excision of the endo may provide years of pain relief without having a hysterectomy.

Surgical excision

Many women have been helped by using progesterone therapy since it inhibits the growth and counteracts the negative effects that estrogen has on stimulating endo.

Progesterone to treat endo

Here is a list of medications that help with endo.Click here...

The Mirena IUD has also helped some women with their endo.

I know it is a hard decision to make. I feel it important to learn as much as possible in order to have a more successful outcome. Take you time with the decision, write down all your questions, print off some articles and ask your doctor their plan of action if you do decide to have a hysterectomy.

Best Wishes

Unread 10-20-2005, 02:06 PM
hysto questions?

thanks for all of your replies....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register