HELP with Rectocele Repair Recovery following LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP with Rectocele Repair Recovery following LAVH HELP with Rectocele Repair Recovery following LAVH

Unread 07-27-2006, 08:27 AM
HELP with Rectocele Repair Recovery following LAVH

Anyone with painful RECTOCELE repair experience similar to this??:
I am almost 3 weeks post-op from total LAVH with rectocele repair. The procedures were done primarily due to intense pain apparently caused by my retrograde uterus prolapsing down onto my colon.
CURRENT PAIN VERY INTENSE IN RECTAL AREA , WORSE NOW THAN IMMEDIATELY POST-OP, AND BM'S AND PASSING GAS BECOMING A CHALLENGE AGAIN.
I can't sit on my bottom at all; even with pillows I can only stand it for a few minutes-riding in a car is agony and I opt to lay down in the back seat.
I discussed this with the surgeon and my gastro. Dr.
Both said recovery from the rectocele can take 4-6 weeks. I just can't believe this much pain is the norm, but if it is, I will at least be less scared that something is going wrong down there! Anybody with similar trials?
Thank you for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2006, 08:41 AM

Oh gosh - I'm sorry you are having this much pain.
I had a minor rectocele repair also caused by a prolapse, but I really don't remember that much pain. I couldn't sit up much until about week 5, so spent a lot of time on the couch. You really need to drink lots of water to help with the BM's. Are you taking any stool softeners at all?? Or any of that Gas-x stuff? I am still taking stool softeners 6 months post-op (chicken??), and I know that if I don't drink water and eat lots of fruit and veggies that I can still have problems.
I would suggest that if you aren't feeling any better by next week that you call your surgeon again - it could be something else.
Hang in there and rest and relax. It will get better!
Unread 07-28-2006, 05:44 AM

Hey Birdlover, how are you doing today? I am contemplating surgical rectocele repair and want to hear that you are doing better!! My 23 yr old son had hemorrhoid surgery and was in similar pain. He would have to crunch pain pills, then put something in his mouth to bite on and finally stand up to have a BM - poor kid. He did get better though, it does seem like a slow process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2006, 06:35 PM

Oh honey, you are still in the early days of recovery!! My first repair was not too painful, the second was much more rough. I am now 3 months post-op and still occasionally have rectal pain and still dealing with bowel issues. I remember having difficulty sitting for the first 5-6 weeks or so. I returned to work at 6 weeks and had to get up and walk around often or sit with the pressure more on one buttock just to be comfortable. Healing takes time, don't push yourself or expect more from yourself right now. Keep taking your stool softener because you need to avoid straining with BMs. Drink plenty of fluids. I know what you mean about difficulty with passing BMs and gas, I even asked the Dr if he made a mistake and sewed the hole closed. Lol
Be patient, rest and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Michelle
Unread 07-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Thank you for responding

It feels so good to have people take the time to respond to my plight! Thank you.
I have been following the "bowel protocol" that was ordered on discharge. I had a pretty good day yesterday, and I hope they continue!
I, too, will keep the stool softener as part of my routine for months, if not forever. It's not "chicken" to avoid discomfort/complications; it's smart!
Thanks for the encouragement.
Birdlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer7
Oh gosh - I'm sorry you are having this much pain.
I had a minor rectocele repair also caused by a prolapse, but I really don't remember that much pain. I couldn't sit up much until about week 5, so spent a lot of time on the couch. You really need to drink lots of water to help with the BM's. Are you taking any stool softeners at all?? Or any of that Gas-x stuff? I am still taking stool softeners 6 months post-op (chicken??), and I know that if I don't drink water and eat lots of fruit and veggies that I can still have problems.
I would suggest that if you aren't feeling any better by next week that you call your surgeon again - it could be something else.
Hang in there and rest and relax. It will get better!
Unread 07-29-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryT
Hey Birdlover, how are you doing today? I am contemplating surgical rectocele repair and want to hear that you are doing better!! My 23 yr old son had hemorrhoid surgery and was in similar pain. He would have to crunch pain pills, then put something in his mouth to bite on and finally stand up to have a BM - poor kid. He did get better though, it does seem like a slow process.
Friday, 7/28, was 3 weeks post-op and my first day without debilitating pain AND with a normal bowel movement; there is hope!
Another responder said it may take a few months, so I'll be hanging in there. It's just good to hear others with similar experiences. I'm sure I will be glad I had the correction, once I'm past the rough spots!
Good luck with you decision. Birdlover
Unread 07-29-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplelady
Oh honey, you are still in the early days of recovery!! My first repair was not too painful, the second was much more rough. I am now 3 months post-op and still occasionally have rectal pain and still dealing with bowel issues. I remember having difficulty sitting for the first 5-6 weeks or so. I returned to work at 6 weeks and had to get up and walk around often or sit with the pressure more on one buttock just to be comfortable. Healing takes time, don't push yourself or expect more from yourself right now. Keep taking your stool softener because you need to avoid straining with BMs. Drink plenty of fluids. I know what you mean about difficulty with passing BMs and gas, I even asked the Dr if he made a mistake and sewed the hole closed. Lol
Be patient, rest and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Michelle
Michelle:
THANK YOU for your response and giving me some hope that I am not having out of the ordinary problems. Nothing prepared me for THIS much pain for a correction that was secondary to the LAVH. BUT, I did have a pretty good day today, so that, and your reply gave me some hope.
I hope your most recent repair is a "keeper". Repeating the surgery is not something I would want to do! Take good care of yourself.
Birdlover
Unread 09-03-2006, 06:09 PM

Dear Michelle:
Your reply to my initial plight meant SO much! I am better, but....
I am now 8 weeks post-op. The pain, when it comes, is no longer so intense that I sob, but I still cannot sit on my bottom without props and pillows. I have followed your advice, but I'm still a little scared that this will NEVER totally correct itself. I can't believe how many things I now do STANDING-including eating some meals.
It's almost like now that my colon is back where it belongs, it is NOT happy, and maybe doesn't quite "fit" anymore.
Any thoughts???
I hope all is well with you and your latest "repair".
Sincerely, Birdlover
On a personal note, I really DO love birds and have a pair of cardinals that come to feed when I call them!
Unread 09-03-2006, 08:38 PM

Birdlover, I wish I could tell you exactly when you will be feeling better and when your life will return to normal. I have yet to find that for myself. When my first repair failed so soon after the surgery all my pelvic organs moved back to their prolapsed state. I think that because they were that way for so long and I was used to it that in a weird way it felt "normal". I am now 4 1/2 months post-op and still I have not felt completely recovered. I am dealing with mesh erosion so I'm sure that accounts for some of the continuing problems I am having. I still have bouts of rectal pain, still have soreness when sitting flat on my bottom, still have trouble being on my feet for long periods of time and I still get tired more easily than I can ever remember.
I know what you mean about your colon not being happy. When I was living with my Grade 3 rectal prolapse I did not have much trouble with BMs. I could push and strain if I needed to and the only thing that would happen would be that it would bulge out more from my vagina. Now I feel like I have no muscle tone to push, the rectum feels too small and I always have pain with BMs. I am chalking this all up to the erosion but once that's fixed and I have recuperated from that surgery I will be able to tell if this is my new "normal" or if things will truly get better.
I think it's important for us to keep a positive outlook. I know that recovery has been difficult and longer than we thought it would be. I think we just need to give our bodies a chance to heal. I know I tend to expect more from myself and push myself to the extreme. When I'm tired instead of resting I just have to get that one more thing done which leads to just one more thing until I have pushed myself to exhaustion. I have to learn to listen to my body.
Please don't get discouraged. My new mantra is "time heals all wounds". Wishing your full recovery recovery happens really soon!
Michelle
Unread 09-04-2006, 06:56 AM

What a nice morning surprise to find your note!
Thank you for more kind words and encouragement.
I am hoping for your recovery to come soon, with completion and permanence, as you have certainly tolerated more than me!
I have used your same words recently to my husband; that maybe this is my new "normal", and I'll just have to adjust. As my job entails prolonged periods of desk work and I LOVE long car trips, I have to say I don't relish lifelong issues with "sitting".
I have learned the hard way about "doing one more thing" until I realize I have gone too far. On some of those days I find myself in bed at 7pm! Then I get all worried that maybe I have undone some of my Dr.'s handy work.
I will continue to think positive and I do look at the fact that the crippling pain has not returned for a couple weeks now.
Thank you, again, for you response. Take good care.
Sincerely, Birdlover/Pat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register