Scheduled TLH I'm a lil scared, but so ready to feel better. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm a lil scared, but so ready to feel better. I'm a lil scared, but so ready to feel better.

Unread 10-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm a lil scared, but so ready to feel better.

Hi all

I'm 28 and my TLH is scheduled for next Thursday. I'm nervous and scared, I've never had surgery before. I think a lot of my nervousness comes from me thinking that I'm following in my mother's footsteps. 16 yrs ago she was scheduled for a hysterectomy and a few months after her surgery she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was in remission until 4 1/2 yrs ago and was diagnosed with BC again and died within 3months of her diagnosis. I know I shouldn't think this way but all the health problems I have had so far mimic my mother's health. I'm scared that when surgery is over, I'll have a diagnosis of breast cancer waiting for me. Maybe it's just pre op jitters, I hope so! Any advice on dealing with the fear of facing this type if surgery?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Re: I'm a lil scared, but so ready to feel better.

Hi Cassie, I'm on the other side with my hysterectomy done on 9/30. I think it's completely normal to feel nervous and scared.

It might help your nerves to do deep breathing by simply taking a deep breath, hold it, and then exhale. Visualization worked well for me too. Before and after surgery I'd think about my dogs and it would bring me "happy" thoughts.

Also, what might help you relax before surgery is to do things to help prepare yourself for coming home after surgery. For instance, set your bathroom up with towels, and so on that are at a comfortable height. It is going to be uncomfortable to bend over after surgery, so the more you set up your house so you do not have to bend the better. Get your laundry done and write a list of when bills and so forth will need to be paid. I have noticed that pain medications can make you foggy, so having that clearly written down is helpful.

I don't know if you're alone at home, but also having individual meals at easy access in your freezer to pop in the microwave is really nice. Bland foods might be appealing to you after surgery, so stock up on things like applesauce, grapes, even freezer pops are fun.

If you have a support system, like family and friends that offer help this is the time to ask for it. I have people now doing my meals, dishes, cleaning, mowing, laundry, etc. A friend of mine comes over just to be here while I shower in case I need her for some reason. Allow your people to help you so that you can focus on a speedy recovery. They will like being able to help.

Those are a few of my suggestions. I'm not sure if they will work for you as we're all different and handle stress differently.

Best wishes to you! Jolene
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Being scared is OK and normal. The best way to overcome that for me was to become as knowledgeable as I could about my surgery. I have read the good stories and the bad ones. It has allowed me to have a good prospective of what I may have to endure. I realize that I may have complications or I may not. It may take me 6 months to heal or it make take 4 weeks. Each of us will have to endure our own experience but if you see that others have had complications and survived...............so can you and I. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Thx! I had my pre op appt on thurs and my dr told I don't have to go through the enema or laxative procedure, yay! My jitters are calming down, for now lol. I'm sure it'll hit me on weds or the morning of (thurs 21st). I hope everything goes well for you all too! Keep me posted!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register