Can you still have hormones without your uterus? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can you still have hormones without your uterus? Can you still have hormones without your uterus?

Unread 02-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Can you still have hormones without your uterus?

First time being on this website and was intrigued.
Well, I've been getting sick every month since I've had my first child ( I have 2 boys now) I get very dizzy and light headed when it's that time of month. Been to the hospital and doctors but they don't know what it is. Has anyone else ever experienced this? One doctors says it's vertigo. But I get it monthly so I'm sure it's not that. Another says it's my iron but I take my iron more often when I know I'm going to have my cycle a week before. I don't know what it is :-(
I'm thinking it has something to do with my hormones and was wondering if I take everything out if I might still get these symptoms monthly? I've had 1 ovary removed and my tubes due to a tumor on my right ovary after my last child.
I just don't know what to do. Any advice is helpful
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Re: Can you still have hormones without your uterus?

I think your ovaries are the ones with the hormones. So if both are gone, then hrt would be the next thing to think about. You will probably go into menopause right away with no ovaries and that is a whole new set of symptoms.
Unread 02-08-2015, 05:34 PM

You might find this information interesting:

"Many women think that once they have their ovaries removed (oophorectomy) their bodies no longer make estrogen. But that's not the case. Even when a woman lacks ovaries, her body can still make hormones. Her fat and adrenal glands may produce very small levels of estrogen as well as testosterone and androstenedione, which are converted by fat, muscle, and breast tissue into estrogen.

While this amount of estrogen is adequate for a woman who has entered menopause naturally (around the age of 50) it is not enough for a woman in her 20s, 30s or 40s. For this reason, women who have had their ovaries removed are typically prescribed estrogen to help maintain bone and vaginal health."

HRT

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 06:17 PM

The majority of your hormones are produced by your ovaries. The uterus does not produce estrogen or progesterone or testosterone.

Some people believe that the adrenal glands can produce enough hormones to replace what your ovaries made, but that is not true. Estrogen, for one, is not made in the adrenal glands.

Fat cells can produce estrone, a type of estrogen, but it is a less safe type of estrogen (it can have carcinogenic properties for one). In addition, not everyone's fat cells will even produce or store this type of estrogen in a neglige amount.

So in a nutshell, without a uterus you will still have hormones, but without both ovaries you won't. No hormones can create some serious health concerns (including premature death) so even if you are currently dealing with hormone related issues it could be better to treat the syptoms without removing your ovaries.

What type of doctors have you seen? Have you tried talking to an endocrinologist? Are you keeping a symptom diary?

in there!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register