Pillow help please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pillow help please! Pillow help please!

Unread 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Pillow help please!

I need feedback on which pillows to buy - I'll be having a SAH/BSO and A & P repair - what works best post op - a donut pillow or the wedge type pillow with the cut out area? Thanks for being here!

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Pillow help please!

I actually have two body pillows... I had a TVH and still loved having all my pillows. I would put one in front of me and one behind me (I was not able to sleep on my back at first... whereas you will more than likely not be able to sleep on your side at first)

I also liked having a pillow between my knees. If you are able to sleep on your back, it helps to have one underneath your knees.

A small pillow is great to have for the ride home to put on your tummy between you and the seatbelt... I also had a thin (disposable from the hospital) pillow that I sat on on the way home!

I hope this helps
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Pillow help please!

It does help - thanks so much, Desiree! Every bit of Sister's wisdom helps me to be more prepared and less anxious. I still have quite a wait, but I'll do whatever I can to be prepared, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually )

Thanks for being there

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Pillow help please!

What I really enjoyed was having my favorite bed pillow from home while I was in the hospital. I really hate the skimpy plastic covered hospital pillows ( I'm spolied - I know ). I used a small one to protect my tummy for my ride home. At home I used a lot of pillows all around me. I didn't have A&P repair so I don't know what will work best there.

S
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Pillow help please!

Thank you, Jeanus!
I will definitely bring my own pillow, and I love everyone's reminders to bring a small pillow for the seatbelt! Thanks for being there!

Joanne
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Pillow help please!

The squishy novelty bean bag kind of pillows are nice to put between you and your seatbelt for the car ride. They conform to your body and aren't big and bulky. Definitely a pillow from home is a nice comfort while you're in the hospital. Make sure you put it in a bright pillow case so it's not mistaken for hospital property. I received a therapy bear as a get well gift. He was a little weighty and could be put in the microwave. He felt really good on my tummy if I had been up for a while. He kind of stabilized my whole abdomen when I was visiting with people - good for holding onto for a sneeze or when someone made me laugh. For sitting, I like the wedge, but it's better in the beginning to keep your feet up as much as possible. By the time you're ready to sit for any lengthy periods you probably won't need to sit on one. Good luck! Try to relax. It's not nearly as bad as you might imagine.

Tracy
Unread 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Pillow help please!

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for your encouragement - I definitely need to try to relax, and need to be reminded!
I love the bear - maybe I'll have to drop some 'hints' to my DH

Blessings to you, and thanks...
Joanne
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Pillow help please!

Hi Joanne,

I just noticed that you're from San Diego. That's one of my favorite places in the world! I've got all the New England sights to enjoy here, but there's something about San Diego that's unlike anywhere else. It just brings me to a whole new level of inner peace. Have your husband take you to the Strip Club for dinner, have a cocktail, and try not to think about surgery, and pillows, and all the other stuff that fills your head tonight!
Unread 08-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Pillow help please!

That's so funny - I've been here 5 years and all I want to do is move back to New England! It is beautiful here, and I don't want to leave this weather, and you're right - being on the water is very calming, except life is pretty fast paced here. But all of my family is back east - daughters, grandkids, Mom, siblings....As soon as I recover from the surgery we hope to move back, before winter sets in. Most of boxes are packed, so I'll be recovering in what feels like a warehouse

I love your suggestion about dinner and cocktails - I'll suggest it to DH!
Thanks, Tracy
Unread 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Pillow help please!

Isn't that funny?!?!? I guess it's true when they say the grass is always greener on the other side. I do love New England, and can't imagine living anywhere else (except during a blizzard), but the SoCal weather is so tantalizing. I hope you're not planning on doing any packing for a while after the surgery. Make sure you let yourself heal!

Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register