Schedule for Endometrial Ablation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Schedule for Endometrial Ablation Schedule for Endometrial Ablation

Unread 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Schedule for Endometrial Ablation

Hello,
I'm new to hystersisters... I am not currently scheduled for a hysterectomy, but my doctor is pretty sure one is on the way. I am 29, so she is really intent on trying other options first.

I had ovarian cancer when I was younger and have had extremely heavy periods since to the point where I am severly anemic. I have a fibroid but my doc says she doubts it is the cause.

Even though I am have had plenty of surgeries I am terrified! I have heard so many stories of bad outcomes and I am afraid I will wake up and be told : we had to do a hysterectomy". I find myself feeling very resentful... I really want to have a baby and after this, thats pretty much out the window (scheduled to have a tubal ligation as well). Most of my friends are pregnant or have just had children and it is agonizing. I feel so overwhelmed. I'm afraid just from the surgery standpoint and I also feel like an idiot for crying all the time. I feel so torn...as much as I want to wait and try to have children, I don't know what else to do to control the periods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Schedule for Endometrial Ablation

Welcome. I had a thermal ablation 3 years ago. They did a D & C first and then the ablation. I had no problems with it and it really did the trick. After the initial spotting, I didn't have a period for 2 years. Then it all started up again. I have endometriosis which also led to the hysterectomy I just had. I am so sorry you won't be able to bear your own children. That has to be heartbreaking. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

UOTE=Skyelady05;4169402]Hello,
I'm new to hystersisters... I am not currently scheduled for a hysterectomy, but my doctor is pretty sure one is on the way. I am 29, so she is really intent on trying other options first.

I had ovarian cancer when I was younger and have had extremely heavy periods since to the point where I am severly anemic. I have a fibroid but my doc says she doubts it is the cause.

Even though I am have had plenty of surgeries I am terrified! I have heard so many stories of bad outcomes and I am afraid I will wake up and be told : we had to do a hysterectomy". I find myself feeling very resentful... I really want to have a baby and after this, thats pretty much out the window (scheduled to have a tubal ligation as well). Most of my friends are pregnant or have just had children and it is agonizing. I feel so overwhelmed. I'm afraid just from the surgery standpoint and I also feel like an idiot for crying all the time. I feel so torn...as much as I want to wait and try to have children, I don't know what else to do to control the periods.[/quote]

We
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Re: Schedule for Endometiral Ablation

Thank you! I mainly joined hystersister because I wanted to be reminded I am not alone. I can't necessarily change my circumstances, but I can connect with people.

Thank you again, your response means a lot to me. Did you have any side effects after your ablation? What was recovery like for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2013, 05:34 PM

If you see my join date, 2006...it was the first time my dr and I discussed a hysterectomy to resolve my heavy periods, ovarian cysts, and pain. As I was in my early 30s, we opted for the ablation. For five lovely years, most of my symptoms disappeared. Especially the lack of a period!!!!

But, it failed last August and a new cyst grew, and pain was constant and requiring of heavy duty narcotics. So back to get it all out last week.

Post ablation, what I remember the most was six weeks of discharge. Gross, smelly, multi hued, nasty, blechy discharge. But then it went away. The worst part was not having a visual cue for my emotions (still had ovaries).

Now, I am done with childbearing, so I can't weight in on that aspect, except that for a time, I was convinced I wouldn't have kids -MF issues plus my bad ovaries (IVF eventually gave me my babies). I went to therapy for months and resolved that I could still be a mother figure through many means even if the ones from my own womb didn't happen. (Adoption, teaching, volunteering, etc.). It took me a while to get there. And in the end, I was one of the lucky ones that found success. You have been through a lot and have every reason to be mad, sad, frustrated and probably a billion other things. But, I hope that should you go forward with the ablation, and should you still wish to be a parent, that you seek out those unique and awesome ways to do so. Our love isn't limited to what comes from us, though I can understand what a hurdle t is to clear.
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Thank you for your response sugarshell!

I appreciate your encouragement. What's funny is, I have always wanted to adopt children. I think its that the thought of not "being able" to have a child or experience pregnancy has intesified my desire to do so. I plan to go ahead with adoption later, but I think I need a little time first. I know I can be mother in lots of ways, it just hurts a little to think about right now.

Thank you for telling about your experience with ablation. I'm trying to gather as much first had knowledge of it as I can.
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM

So sorry you are at this point and need to make the decision. I had the ablation done when I was in my late 20's knowing I never wanted children of my own. I have struggled for 7 years since then waiting until the hysterectomy which I am having on Monday. Many, many moons ago my mother suffered from endometriosis as well which made her unable to have children and adopted me so the quote we always loved is "you didn't grow under my heart but in it."

It’s a lot to wrap your mind around, and you will come to terms with your decisions in your own time. I know it doesn’t make the situation easier but lean on your support and do what is best for you.

Good luck with everything!
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM

I also had an ablation (at the age of 48). I was off work for a week and other than being tired after, and having some cramping and a little bit of pain, recovery went fine.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Thank you all for the info and support.

I've been told I can go back to work the next day, which make me pretty nervous. Did all of you have a lot of pain after ablation?
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

I remember being crampy, just feeling blah. I had mine on a Thursday so I took the following day off and went back on Monday.
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyelady05 View Post
Thank you all for the info and support.

I've been told I can go back to work the next day, which make me pretty nervous. Did all of you have a lot of pain after ablation?
Oh yeah, I remember them telling me that. Don't believe it. I did feel crampy and horrible for several days. If you have the option, plan at least 3 days off. I had mine on thursday and took friday off. Aside from the cramps, you will totally just feel nasty from the discharge. Funny how much I've forgotten til you jogged my memory. I have a friend who had one and she went back the next day...and she is a massage therapist! She was really miserable.

It is funny what you said about adoption too. I always wanted to adopt....I somehow knew I wouldn't really like the effects of pregnancy on my body (I didn't have complications, but just always felt like crap...unlike my glowing happy friends). But when we were diagnosed with our issues (no motility for my ex dh and endo for me), man I was mad at the world and now unfair it was that the decision wasn't all mine to make. There was a lot of why MEs going on.

I think everything you are saying just sounds so normal, but it makes me smile to hear you are open, in time, to other ways of fulfilling your hearts desires. It will take time...but it sounds like you will get there, and hopefully after the ablation, you will have some peace in your body/cycles like I did. It is amazing how that monthly dread screws with your mind and spirit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register