DaVinci vs Laparoscopy total hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DaVinci vs Laparoscopy total hysterectomy DaVinci vs Laparoscopy total hysterectomy

Unread 05-30-2008, 07:20 PM
DaVinci vs Laparoscopy total hysterectomy

Can anyone tell me the risks or benefits of having a total hysterectomy via the DaVinci robot or thru LAVH. My Dr wants to do it LAVH (hopefully) but I went for a 2nd opinion to a dr who uses the DaVinci Robot and says it is faster, less painful and home the same day. I don't know who to go with. I feel more comfortable with my Dr but this other way sounds too good to be true. I don't see many Davinci experiences on this site. Any information greatly appreciated.

EMD1126
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2008, 08:00 PM

I've wondered this too, but there aren't any doctors in my city who do DaVinci and I don't want to travel and stay over night a few nights after being released before I travel more than 100 miles home. I'm going with an LAVH. If I had a local choice, I'd be asking the exact same question.

All of that to say, I don't know. I wanted to write and wish you well with whatever you choose. Keep on posting. This is a great site!
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:12 PM

I don't know about risks, etc. I am having a Da Vinci Hysterectomy and sort of chose my Dr. because I knew she was one of the few in my town that did it. I have a neighbor who works at our major hospital and told me that the Da Vinci was the way to go. According to all I've read and heard, The Da Vinci gives the Doctor a 3D view vs. a 2D view for regular Laparoscopy and they get a better range of motion with the robot helping turn instruments, etc. The recoveries aren't terribly different I think. They both give you about 1 night in the hospital and both keep you from having a large incision, etc. Search "da vinci" on this site and you can hear about other women's recovery.

Personally, I think this is a total "how do you feel" call. If I had a OB/GYN that I loved before my problem arose, I might not be using the robot. I just kind of got lucky. You may want to use the Dr. that you know and trust...and there are some people don't like the idea of doing something so "cutting edge". You will make the best decision for you . Good Luck

TANK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2008, 10:52 PM

At my first appt with the oncologist, he told me that he wanted to do my hysterectomy with the daVinci. I had just been diagnosed three days before and didn't know about it, so I started by checking out the web site.

I did spend one night in the hospital and have had what I consider to be a pretty easy recovery. No complications, no problems with my five incisions and I was released without any restrictions two weeks after surgery.

Tank 777 said it well about the difference with using a daVinci. My oncologist joked that he prefers the daVinci over resident assistants because the daVinci stays put and does not talk back! The resident in the examining room with him was not amused . . .

I found out later that of all the hysterectomies the oncologist does, he uses the daVinci once a week, so I guess I got lucky.

I had my appendix removed lapropscopically 16 months ago - no daVinci for that one - and had a easy recovery with that operation, too.

If possible, I would definitely have a hysterectomy laproscopically. If you are able to have the daVinci, it's "icing on the cake."

EMD1126, since you are more comfortable with your doctor, that is the way I would go. I felt comfortable with my oncologist the moment I met him.
Unread 05-30-2008, 11:03 PM

Great question! I was wondering the same thing as I am scheduled for the Da Vinci on July 9th. There is only 1 'robot' in my town which is why there is such a long wait fo rmy surgery.
Unread 05-31-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm 50
If possible, I would definitely have a hysterectomy laproscopically. If you are able to have the daVinci, it's "icing on the cake."

That's what I was trying to say but didn't do a good job of it! LOL
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:37 PM

Hi, this is my first post, so here goes.

I was diagnosed with Uterine cancer on 5/5. My regular gyn set up an appointment with the gyn surgical oncologist for 5/22. I had alot of anxiety about waiting that long for the appointment. I have a good friend who is a doctor and she did some investigating for me. I could have been seen by another doc in the oncology practice the very next day and had a TAH, but the doc I was scheduled to see is the only one who does the Da Vinci procedure. It was a tough decision whether to wait or not because lets face it, once I heard the word cancer, I wanted it out immediately, but I decided to wait until the appointment on the 22nd.

The surgeon did indeed feel I was a good candidate for the DaVinci procedure and it is scheduled for June 11th. After everything I've heard, read and watched, it seems the best way to go. I'm glad I waited although waiting still for the surgery is hard.

I do at times have anxiety over the surgery and what might come with it, but over all am doing pretty well I think. My biggest worry is over trying to schedule and take care of everything else in my life. I own my own business, sales, and this is the last month of our fiscal year, lots of businees going on, plus business trips planned for 7/7 and 7/21. I know my health comes first, but being a type "A" means my business is a huge part of my life too, so it's all a worry.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, once I finally got the surgery date I've felt better. Just hope all goes well!

Control Freak

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register