Scheduled TAH Overweight and concerned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overweight and concerned Overweight and concerned

Unread 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Overweight and concerned

Hello everyone! I'm scheduled for surgery Thursday and I'm so nervous. I've had 4 C-sections and gallbladder surgery in the past, but that was almost 18 years ago and I was not this overweight. I'm concerned about my weight affecting the surgery and recovery. I am 5' 6'' and weigh 265 pounds. I am also concerned about all the scar tissue from previous surgeries. Has anyone else had multiple C-sections and came through the hysterectomy well? Anyone else on the heavy side and came through and did well? I have fibroids and have been bleeding almost constantly for the past 1-1/2 years. I really want to have this done but I'm really scared and getting nervous the closer it gets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Re: Overweight and concerned

i had numerous abdominal surgeries and i was able to have just my uterus removed laparoscopically through my abdomen. my dr wasnt concerned about scar tissue at all and didnt anticipate any problems..and he was right. i'm sure you'll be fine with that. i dont know about your weight and recovery as i am not overweight. i wish you the best of luck!
Unread 04-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Hi Daisyjo and

I'm also overweight and had a c-section (17 years ago) and then developed fibroids. Although my surgery was vaginally done, I didnt' have any troubles with the surgery at all. Did your say anything to you about it? I would think that if there was a concern, your doctor would have mentioned it.

It is totally normal to feel nervous the closer you get to surgery. I felt like I was totally freaking out and thought of every single reason I could to not go through with it. But I did, and I feel so much better now.

You might want to call your just for some reassurance. I hope everything goes well for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2009, 03:09 PM

I am 5' 9" (almost) and was about 290 at the time of my surgery. I had a TAH. I already had a flabby tummy that hung down over where my cut would be and I would on occasion have issues with rashes there so I was worried about that. My cut has healed perfectly! In fact that has been the best part. My tummy muscles are still really sore but as my doc has reminded me he had to open me wide!

The good news is I have managed to loose a few pounds (15lbs) due to not eating all that junk food. I hope to keep that trend up.
Unread 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM

You sound almost like me.
I had two previous C-sections, am/was overweight (5' 4" & 235lbs), had multiple fibroids(one the size of a large grapefruit) and my bladder was fused to my uterus with the scar tissue. At 47, I had a TAH last May5.
There was work to be done to separate the uterus from bladder, but all went well otherwise. There's always a risk with any surgery but bleeding that much is a risk as well...I bled SO much for SO long that I was severely anemic (to the point where they considered a transfusion just to live normal). My TAH was the BEST thing. I was so anemic I couldn't walk across a room without being out of breath...exercise in the year leading up to it was increasingly more and more difficult but I didn't know why. I'd have to say that about 4months out from my TAH, I was able to start exercising again without pain. (remember to listen to your doctor & body and don't do too much too soon)I started light and worked my way up...now, just about a year out, I've lost 45 lbs and looking forward to my last 35lbs to goal range. I can now exercise regularly, and I follow weight watchers to track my food intake and I am THRILLED with how GOOD I feel....I'd forgotten how wonderful life can be. (it's hard to feel that when you are bleeding constantly and you're 'tethered to the toilet by a tampon string').
Good luck with your surgery...you won't regret it....fix things and get back into life....
Unread 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM

I'm another one who is overweight and I was very worried about the incision healing. My doctor did not seem concerned, so I went with the flow and it healed GREAT! I made sure to keep it clean and dry so that it could heal properly ... I got some non-linting gauze squares to dab it dry after showering (once I was cleared for that, of course).

I was so relieved that it didn't cause any problems. Stick to the lifting restrictions and everything else your doctor tells you, and you should be fine! I was surprised that my doctor didn't say much about taking care of that area, but at least you are on this great site to get advice beforehand. Silly me didn't do it 'til afterward!

Good luck to you!!
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM

I'm 5'3" and was 314 pounds the day of my surgery. I've been recovering quite well. I think it took me a little longer to be able to sleep on my side again, because the extra weight in my abdomen made for extra pulling against the incision area. Wearing a support garment helped some with that.

My doctor also told me before the surgery that she might have to do a vertical incision, but she was able to do a horizontal one.

Hope that helps!
Unread 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM

I had c-section in '98 and my doc. said when he did the lavh he found a lot of adhesions, but it didn't end up being a problem, just took him twice as long as he anticipated (totaled 3 hours.) And he had said if he needed to, he would change routes and do an abdominal cut.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register