Pre-op anxiety | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op anxiety Pre-op anxiety

Unread 04-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Pre-op anxiety

Hi ladies! Just joined this site and I am truly thankful!! I've been an on and off lurker for awhile but with my surgery scheduled I figured it was time to join!
My question is about nerves!! I know everyone is nervous going into this but I am a really HIGH ANXIETY girl--an unmedicated one at that!! I go for my pre-op visit Tuesday and was wondering if the DR would object to some type of nerve medication for the week prior to my surgery---what do you guys think? I HATE to ask for anything because I don't want him to think I'm just wanting good drugs, but I know ME and I'm terrified I'll freak out and back out of this!!! Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Pre-op anxiety

What your going through isn't uncommon and if you think you might benefit from something, you should discuss this with your Dr. I am sure the 2 of you will come up with a workable solution.

For me it was weird, once I was through pre-op everything just kind of eased. I thought well I'll get freaked once I start my prep (nope), walking into the hospital (nope), walking through the doors to get changed (yes but for like 2 seconds and then the nurse was walking and all was passed), even waiting for 3 hours (an extra because the surgery ahead of mine went long) was fine.

I know I could have asked for something that morning when I got there if I felt I needed it and I think by that point I just wanted it all over with and to get on with recovery.

I wouldn't worry about what your Dr thinks about you asking for this. Where some Drs get edgy is pain pills (though not all). I am sure some Drs refuse or don't want to listen but I don't think that is the norm.

Best wishes and I hope you find the answer that works best for you,

Julie
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Pre-op anxiety

You should definitely discuss it with your doctor. I've read posts here where Sisters were given Xanax or even Valium during the waiting period. When I was scheduled for 3/21, my primary care prescribed Xanax when I "failed" my EKG (turned out nothing was wrong). I had been pretty good up until then, but that was kind of the last straw for me. I think I took one or two, but now it's just on hand and that's kind of comforting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Pre-op anxiety

if youre feeling very anxious, i'm sure you dr wont mind giving you something at the pre op. i was extremely nervous. my mind was imagining the worst of everything. one thing i wish i had done differently..not read every single thing i could find on the web about complications, anesthesia problems, etc. i drove myself crazy for nothing. good luck..i'm sure everything will go just fine.
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Pre-op anxiety

Hi. I am the queen of nervous. I was so terrified I almost cancelled my surgery but I did not. A lot of women have taken something to calm down before the surgery. Talk to your dr and let them know how nervous you are. I had to see my family dr 2 days before the surgery and he saw that I was so nervous I did not even have to ask. He asked me if I wanted something and I said yes but ended up not taking it. It is normal to be this nervous so if you need it ask and then take it. I did not take mine because I ended up being less nervous the night before. Good luck. We are here if you need to talk.
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Pre-op anxiety

Thanks to you all!!! This is the best site ever with the best gals!!!!
Unread 04-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Pre-op anxiety

Ask for them, just to get you thru to the surgery date. As I was told by a Dr., most Dr. don't have a problem writing out a limited script for a med when it comes to surgery.
Plus when day of surgery comes and the anesthesiologists(you think I would be able to spell that now without looking it up) comes around tell them you want something for nerves. I was quiet until the surgical team came and then had a meltdown. Everyone thought because I was so quiet that someone else had given me meds to calm me down. I'm saying this not to scare you. I didn't know to ask for a med for my nerves the day of the surgery. If I had, I would have asked it would have made it a lot easier on me. I still cry when I remember those two hrs in preop and my meltdown.
Unread 04-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Pre-op anxiety

I am 11 days away and starting to panic too LOL... Definately talk to your DR , I know befor my last two surgeries they gave me a shot that morning to help me stay calm. Good luck.
Unread 04-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Pre-op anxiety

I took Xanax and I think it is pretty common to ask for something to settle your nerves. I only took about 4 during a week and half, but just knowing they were there made me feel better. I tried to white knuckle it as much as I could. I read on here for weeks that the waiting is the hardest part and it really is. I promise you will get to the other side and say wow, I was a nervous wreck for nothing! Don't be afraid to ask though, they will limit the amount they give you and they think you are wrong to ask, they haven't been doing this very long.

Sandra
Unread 04-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Pre-op anxiety

hi, I to have my pre-op tuesday and my surgery on the 17th, I am also pretty nervous- not scared just can't stop thinking about what everything will be like afterwards, I take prozac daily for depression and I find that it helps for the most part... Good luck to you and your recovery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register