Personality change after hyst? Have you heard about this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Personality change after hyst? Have you heard about this? Personality change after hyst? Have you heard about this?

Unread 03-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Personality change after hyst? Have you heard about this?

My dd16 has a therapist she sees twice a month; every few months, my dh sees her, too, in order to learn to communicate more effectively with our daughter.

Anyway, yesterday was his day with the counselor. He apparently was telling her about my hyst, and she was telling him that she knows two different women who've had hysterectomies that have experienced personality changes. Both women had the same types of changes: they became less organized, more forgetful, and less often to solve things like puzzles, and think through problems objectively.

Now, I'm just a little over two weeks out, and so far not exhibiting any of these symptoms (not that I ever needed a medical excuse to be disorganized or forgetful, lol). But now we're curious about how common this is.

I say it can't be all that common, because I haven't read about it at all on here, plus, of all the women the counselor knows, I'm sure a lot of them have had hysterectomies; so if only two have had problems, that's pretty minor. I, personally, am not going to worry about it until and unless it becomes an issue, at which point, I'll do what I can to resolve it.

But have any of you heard of/experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2008, 09:25 AM

I had the problems you mentioned after my hyster but I attributed to medical menopause as my surgeon put me on Lupron to shrink the fibroids prior to surgery, effectively putting me into menopause temporarily. You don't say whether you have your ovaries or not, but mine finally woke up and I became normal again. If you kept your ovaries and are doing fine now, I wouldn't suspect you would have problems in the future (until the real menopause)!
Kim
LSH 6/27/07
Unread 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM

Hormonal imbalances can cause these symptoms. Once a hormonal imbalance has been identified/diagnosed, there are several options available to remedy the situation...........it is not a permanent consdition.

Ironically, the symptoms of hormonal imbalance are not limited to pot-menopausal, or potop hysterectomy patients. I work with several young pregnant women.......we all seem to share similar symptoms.

Some women are fortunate in never experiencing these symptoms...in pregnancy OR menopause. I am not one of those women, but am fortunate in having options.

Take care........s......Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2008, 11:41 AM

I have been keeping close tab on myself. I made my good freinds and DH promise to tell me if I started behaving "funny" because the last thing I want is folks snickering behind my back and me not knowing it. I have heard abut this personality change. One lady we know became a bimbo, dyed her hair blonde, bought a sportscar and ran off on her hubby. She was a dowdy housewife before that. Not sure if it was anything to do with hysterectomy -it just happened right after and folks put 2 and 2 together.
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Tahireh, what you mentioned are all common menopausal symptoms. Not caused by having a hyst, (removal of the uterus) but by surgical menopause (removal of the ovaries).
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I hope not

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahireh
My dd16 has a therapist she sees twice a month; every few months, my dh sees her, too, in order to learn to communicate more effectively with our daughter.

Anyway, yesterday was his day with the counselor. He apparently was telling her about my hyst, and she was telling him that she knows two different women who've had hysterectomies that have experienced personality changes. Both women had the same types of changes: they became less organized, more forgetful, and less often to solve things like puzzles, and think through problems objectively.

Now, I'm just a little over two weeks out, and so far not exhibiting any of these symptoms (not that I ever needed a medical excuse to be disorganized or forgetful, lol). But now we're curious about how common this is.

I say it can't be all that common, because I haven't read about it at all on here, plus, of all the women the counselor knows, I'm sure a lot of them have had hysterectomies; so if only two have had problems, that's pretty minor. I, personally, am not going to worry about it until and unless it becomes an issue, at which point, I'll do what I can to resolve it.

But have any of you heard of/experienced this?
If this is the case for me I'll better be careful at work. I am praised for my organizational skills and ability to be on top of things before others...hopefully this will not be the case..
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:11 PM

I'm beginning to think that menopause is like puberty, only backwards. How many teenage girls do you know that just went wacko at about 15 or 16? Some menopausal women experience the same type of changes, only without the pretty face (HA!)
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:19 PM

I had these symptoms after the birth of my son 17 years ago. I couldnt even remember phone numbers unless they were programmed in the phone and forgot everything! I was a great speller before my pregnancy then after FORGET IT I was a terrible speller. I was only 22 but my doctor told me it was due to my hormones going haywire during my pregnancy and put me on medication for about a year and after that I was fine. I think it can happen to us females at anytime in our life not just hysterectomies or menopause. I kept my ovaries and so far I seem to be doing fine but I was very concerned about this before surgery.
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the infos, sisters!

On the advice of my GYN, due to strong family history of cancer, she took my ovaries. She immediately put me on an estrogen patch, and so far, only a couple of "warm flashes" (they weren't even bad enough to classify as hot flashes! I had worse before the hyst!). But now that my dh and I know this is one possibility (the brain fog, I mean), we'll be on the watch for it.
Unread 03-17-2008, 01:26 PM

I had those symptoms after my last birth (of course while I was preg. too). Since my hyst. I have been back to my old self. I also felt like I had no strenght after the last birth and I felt so much stronger (even thought I am weeker from surgery) right after my surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register