new to this, worried & need some advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to this, worried & need some advice new to this, worried & need some advice

Unread 06-15-2003, 08:05 AM
new to this, worried & need some advice

hello everyone, im jackie, 35 from ashford, kent. UK.
i found out last week that i've got to have a hysterectomy (probably within 3 mths) and although i know it will end all my period problems i am somewhat terrified!
could any of you give some advice on these questions?
i have had 3 c-sections and my GYN has said that i will need the surgery abdominally because of this, he also mentioned that they might have problems removing my bladder from the cervix in which case they might leave some of the cervix behind! does this sound right?
my next worry is ive been told to think about whether or not to have my ovaries removed. the GYN suggested that it would probably be best but im very concerned about going onto HRT at 35. what should i expect?
i have read quite a few of the threads on here and you all sound very clued up on this....im not though & need your help!!
im a single mum to 3 boys (14,12 &10) and am also worried about how i'll be after the 'op'!
thanks for listening and hope to hear from any of you soon
Jackie.xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2003, 08:38 AM

I can only tell you what I have been through I had a TVH.. complete removal of cervix and uterus. I wanted to and did keep my ovaries ( they were healthy) because of several reasons..

1. No history of ovarian cancer
2. Im only 32
3. Natural hormones are better than replacements!

If you have a history of ovarian cancer, endo on the ovaries, cysts, or other factors could mean you need to have them removed. Even one ovary kept will function and provide hormones for you... so that is a possibility if one 'has' to be removed you could always keep the other.

Going thru the tummy after many c/sects is normal. I only had 1 c/sect and they almost ended up switching to a TAH in the middle of my TVH because of a large amount of scar tissue and adhesions. Luckily my doctor is very skilled and was able to finish out without cutting my tummy.

After the op... for the first 4 days.. I remember almost nothing. Its very patchy, foggy memories. I slept alot.. I was weak.. a bit dizzy and very tired.. aside from that I felt better than I did pre-op. Now.. I am up.. moving around alot more.. and only laying down several times a day.. not sleeping until bedtime. And I am 6 days post op. I feel better than I have in years and my only pain is some aching in my lower back and hip joints. But I do not have an abdominal incision to cause pain. It takes 6-8 weeks to get back to a level of normalcy after a hysterectomy.

If you are worried about resuming sex.. Most ladies say its better than before I know I am already anxious for my 6 weeks to be up if you know what I mean!

Hope I have helped
Unread 06-15-2003, 09:15 AM

Hi Jackie

I too was 35yrs when I had hyst and I also come from the UK. I woul dspeak with Gyn again and ask him to leave ovaries if they are healthy and there is no famly history of Ovarian cancer. Natural hormones are better that synthetic one's. I would not worry too much if he has to leave cervix. I had mine removed but my bladder was too stuck onto uterus and had to be peeled away. I think if there is a risk of severly damaging bladder to remove cervix then that is one reason why they will leave it intact.

As for recovery being a single parent with children I am sure the kiddies will help Mum as much as they can you will just have to plan before you have op. Get lot's of Pizza's in and I am sre they will enjoy them for a few weeks lol.

I hope all goes well with you. I am now coming up to 15 months post and feel fantastic.

Hugs

Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2003, 11:26 AM
ovaries - to go?

Hi Jackie,

I too am from the UK - Suffolk to be precise. I am 47 and had a TAH/BSO 10 weeks ago. Just wanted to give you the other side of the coin so to speak. I was given the choice of keeping or losing my ovaries and chose to lose them. It turned out I had severe pelvic congestion (blood vessels the size of my surgeons fingers) so I made the right decision for me. I have HRT implants (100mg estrogen and 100mg testosterone) and once the first couple of weeks were over I have not had any side effects and have got rid of the peri-menopausal symptoms I was suffering from.

Sometimes the ovaries are 'stunned' by the surgery and take a few weeks to recover so if you do decide to keep them be prepared for menopausal symptoms for a while. It is a decision only you can make. There are definately reasons for and against. My was of the opinion that if you are having major surgery of this sort it is as well to remove everything and remove the possibility of future surgery ~ bearing in mind that I am much older than you was already peri-menopausal.

Good luck for your surgery.

Wendy
Unread 06-15-2003, 01:39 PM

If your doctor is worried about removing your bladder from your cervix is that because you have endometriosis? If so, that may be why he is suggesting that you not have your ovaries left behind. In which case he might also be very careful about putting you on HRT.

If there is not a good reason for removing both ovaries, you might want to consider keeping them. Mind you, my mother had hers removed when she was about your age, and she's still happily on Premarin. But she didn't have endo.

Hope you're able to get your questions answered so you can make the right decision for you.
Unread 06-20-2003, 02:13 AM
thanks

many thanks to all of you who replied to my message, your advice has been noted and i feel a bit more relaxed about it all now
i will keep reading the msgs on here and hope to talk to you all soon
jackie.xx
Unread 06-20-2003, 02:29 AM

Hi!

I had 2 C-sections (vertical incisions) prior to my hysterectomy. I was able to have my hyst as a LAVH - I had a very skilled and experienced doctor and had had no problems with scar tissue. I was 42 when I had my hysterectomy 16 months ago. My uterus and cervix were removed, I kept both ovaries. Keeping your ovaries can depend on your age, condition of the ovaries, and family history of cancer. I was glad I kept mine because I probably have several years until I reach menopause and want to avoid taking HRT until I have to. My ovaries have continued to work just fine since my surgery. At age 35 if your ovaries are healthy and you have no family history of cancer my suggestion would be to keep the ovaries.

Your boys are big enough that they should be able to help out around the house. Keep plenty of pizzas, microwave and convenience foods on hand.

The initial recovery period is 6-8 weeks but it can take many months to be completely healed. Be sure to follow all of your doctor's post-op instructions.

Come and visit us in the Post-op Forum after your surgery to let us know how you are doing. Take care.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register