Pre-op... phone call? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op... phone call? Pre-op... phone call?

Unread 01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Pre-op... phone call?

The last time that I had surgery, it was at the same hospital that I'll be at for my hyst, almost 5 years ago. Then, I had to go in and talk to the anesthesiologist... answer all of the health related question. Fill out all of the paperwork.

Imagine my surprise when the anesthesiology dept. of the hospital calls me today, and begins asking me all of the pre-op questions!! Then she says,"If you have any questions, my name is ***** and my number is ***-***-****. Your surgery is at ! PM, we need you here at 11 AM. You can eat normally the night before, nothing after midnight..... and the doc wants you to use a fleet enema that morning. Have a good day, and stay healthy!"

Can they do that over the phone now?!?!?! Not that I mind, it's much more convenient and I do tand to get uncomfortable sitting around in a hospital... Don't get me wrong, I don't mind complete strangers asking questions or making comments under most circumstances... if I don't want to answer, I just don't.... but please don't let some man start complaining about how worried he is about his bunion surgery!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm rambling... I just wanted to know if this is going on elsewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Pre-op... phone call?

This got me too. I had my pre-op this last Wednesday and I asked the doctor about having to go to the hospital for blood work and all of that. He said that I didn't have to. That they would do the blood work the morning of surgery and that the anesthesiologist would call me the day before about everything. It's been a couple of years since my last surgery too and this is all new.
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure why they did that on the phone

Maybe its the hospital you will be going to, because I had to go for my Pre-op testing at the hospital a week before where they checked my health condition by taking two tubes of blood and then they did a chest x-ray, I had to fill out a long family history medical form and sign off.
If you are concerned, you may want to ask your Dr.. Did they do any of this pre-opt testing and medical history at your Dr's office?
Good-Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Pre-op... phone call?

my pre-op was only a question/answer period with my surgeon. i had some minimal bloodwork. i was supposed to meet the anesthesiologist, but they were running very late-since I was healthy, they asked me a few questions by phone. i think it depends upon the hospital/health/history etc.
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Pre-op... phone call?

With my cone biopsy last May they did everything on the phone. I saw the doctor for a preop appointment, but did all the questions etc...with a nurse on the phone.

I didn't meet the anesthesiologist until the morning of when I was almost ready to go in.

Does anyone know how you find out who your anesthesiologist will be ahead of time???

Sara
Unread 01-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Re: I'm not sure why they did that on the phone

Quote:
Originally posted by happynow
Did they do any of this pre-opt testing and medical history at your Dr's office?
Good-Luck!
I've been going to this same gyn for almost 7 years... He delivered my twins (c-section) and assisted on my ablation (one of his associates did that one), so he's got ALL of the background... Come to think of it, since I had the ablation at the same hospital, maybe they just called because they've got my history on file? Also, my doc's office is in the hospital (it's one of the ones without an ER). Maybe that has something to do with it?

Oh, and I also found out that the gyn who assisted with the twins' delivery is assisting with my hyst too...LOL Glad I won't be awake (see the 'make me laugh' thread).
Unread 01-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Sounds like they have all info on file

[quote]Originally posted by moonstone-opal
maybe they just called because they've got my history on file?

Ok, If they have all your past medical history.. Then maybe this is why its not being required. Good-Luck..
Unread 01-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Pre-op... phone call?

My "pre op" was done all by phone as well. I did have to go donate several vials of blood at the lab. The Pre-admit nurse called and went over my health history etc.

I've never had any contact with this hospital, so it must just depend on the hospital.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-29-2005, 08:07 AM
anesthesiologist ??

[/quote] Does anyone know how you find out who your anesthesiologist will be ahead of time???

You could probably just call the hospital admissions number and ask them that question. They may not be the right people to ask, but they could certainly get you to the right ones.
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Pre-op... phone call?

I was taken by suprise on that one too. My doc didn't even want a pre-op appt. I scheduled on anyways because of my three pages of questions. All my instructoins were sent by mail. How personal!!! Couldn't even schedule the surgery for 4 1/2 months. Definately making me think twice about him!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register