First time to ask question?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First time to ask question?? First time to ask question??

Unread 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM
First time to ask question??

Hello,
This website has been wonderful. It's so good to hear other's are going through the same thing, and I'm learning alot too. I had TAH / BSO / Bladder Lift on Nov. 8th. I'm doing pretty well, except for having to sit 30 min. at one sitting on the toilet daily. Bad constipation, even thought I drink lots of water and juice. I even take a stool softner. I'm still having a lot of gas... not sure if it's from the surgery or something else. Surprised though that I'm not bleeding at all. Not even spotting. Is that normal? I had just expected it.
Anyway, my main question ... is anyone going back to work 3 weeks post-op? I took my remainder sick days and vacation days, hoping it would be enough. Even though it's only been one week... I'm not so sure I'll be ready. Enough writing my first time. Thanks for all your help. kimmie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2005, 10:51 AM

I had Zero discharge or bleeding for the first 4 weeks post op, I thought I was in the clear.. But since week 4 I have had both discharge and bleeding.. Some women get it early on and some later one, and some never at all (we are all different) As far as the gas and Constipation I had that for almost 6 1/2 weeks post op, it will get better.. Try milk of magnesia one tsp a day for about a week that is what my doctor told me. Then the 2nd week just lots of water and foods that are easily digested... If at all possible try to take as much time off from work as possible, you will need it. I went back to work at 4 weeks post op and that is when all of my discharge and bleeding started...
Unread 11-17-2005, 12:15 PM

Kimmie,

I had surgery the week before you. I had no discharge for the first week. Then it was a light yellow and now it's brown and a little smelly. Like radlilred said, we are all different. If you start having discharge, just pay attention to it. If it's bloody or you have any concerns about it call you doctor. S/he can tell you if what you are experiencing is within the realm of normal.

As for the constipation, there are multiple threads regarding this very common problem. The recommendations I've seen repeatedly are:
Milk of Magnesia
Flaxseed
Linseed (I guess it looks like birdseed)
stool softeners
Miralax (prescription softener and laxative)
Search "constipation" if you want to read more about others' experiences.

I personally have never tried Linseed, so I don't know how effective it is. I have tried all the others and the only one that is consistently effective for me is Miralax. It's gentle on the system. It normally takes 2-4 days to start working. After my surgery it took 5 days. Miralax comes in a granular form that you dissolve in any drink. It has a very mild taste, so it's easily masked by juices.

Like with the discharge, we are all very individual in the way we heal and what natural and prescription medications work for us. You may find it easier to try a prescription first, then switch to a more natural method once things get moving. However you do it, relieving the constipation relieves a lot of bloating and pain.

Regarding your main questions about going back to work at 3 weeks. My mother-in-law went back after 2 weeks. She said it was very difficult and she went straight to bed when she got home. I know every company is different, but doesn't yours have short-term disability for medical conditions/surgeries? I can't imagine you having to burn through your sick time and vacation for this. Did you have a vaginal or abdominal surgery? I had an abdominal hysterectomy and was given 6 weeks off to recover. If I absolutely had to, I think I could manage to go back now, but I also sit at a desk all day. If you have a human resources department, give them a call to make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to.

I hope you start feeling better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2005, 12:52 PM

My doctor told me to expect to be out of work for six to eight weeks.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you had abdominal hyst or not.

I am only 10 days post op from TAH/LSO,but know for sure that I will not be ready to go back to work in another week.

My personal opinion (for what it's worth!) would be to take as much time as possible, give you body the proper amount of time to heal.

As far as the constipation goes. I have come to the realization that it is just part of the recovery, but it seems to be the worst part. Without it, I think that I would be feeling so much better by now.

Best Wishes to You!
Unread 11-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Hi Kimmie
I had IBS pre-op so my main goal during recovery was DON'T GET CONSTIPATED. If I skip breakfast - I get constipated...and I feel terrible and have excessive abdominal pain. I keep a few things in my daily diet right now: a bowl of Fiber One cereal in the morning, whole grain breads and fruit and lots of liquids - I'm good to "go" everyday! When I hit a bumpy road a little Milk of Magnesia smooths things out. BTW - gas is your best friend right now - will help you feel better for next few weeks! I also had no bleeding or discharge at all during my recovery, which I also expected...my doc says good for me.

I thought I'd be working at 3 weeks post-op considering I can work from home. But I just started back to work this week - after 6 wks. At first my body couldn't keep up with my mind with fatigue, major swelly belly trying to sit at my desk for more than an hour, etc. Then my mind couldn't keep up with my body as depression set in as well as the brain fog. I thought going back to work was all about the physical ability - but I found, for me, it was also about the emotional state of mind and also overcoming fatigue that is overwhelming me now. Having trouble focusing too - I'm supposed to be working right now - but I'd rather talk to you!

Hope you have a smooth recovery and all is well! Take your time.
Unread 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM

I had a TAH on Oct 24. I was back to work at 2 weeks post-op. Although I'm tired by the end of the day, I've been feeling fine. I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and haven't had any bleeding or discharge yet...cross my fingers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register