worried--post op bleeding? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

worried--post op bleeding? worried--post op bleeding?

Unread 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
worried--post op bleeding?

Hi there, So my LTH was Jan 21st. Left the ovaries, yay! I also have a clotting disorder so started blood thinner, Lovenox, 2 shots a day am and pm the day after my surgery. Anyway, I had no bleeding until day 17, then started gushing super red blood. Called the dr, was told to just watch it and if I hit a pad an hour to call them back. Bleeding kept getting worse and reached the pad an hour so on day 19, called dr back, went in. Apparently had a stitch tear out. They re-stitched in the office..this was yesterday. After that, my bleeding almost stopped, but as of today, I am starting to bleed more again. So I have 2 questions: one is where does all the blood go since all she did was re-stitch...I mean was all that blood from the torn stitch or could there be another source of the blood and if there is where does it go since I'm all stitched up? My second qustion is: am I more at risk for internal bleeding with the blood thinners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Re: worried--post op bleeding?

The wound being open is where the blood us more likely coming from. Because it's stitched up, the wound is closed. And yes your more prone to bleeding on the Lovenox. Did they saynhow long you'll need it?
Unread 02-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Thakns for your reply. I'm on the Lovenox for 1 month total after the surgery. My concern is that now I'm restitched, and bleeding again. The bright red blood is getting worse not better. I'm going to call my Dr's office again today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM

anewme4, I had something similar. I was on Lovenox and warfarin after a TAH because of a leg DVT and a PE. Two weeks after surgery, when I finally went home, I started bleeding similar to what you're describing. The docs cauterized a couple of times (once in the office, twice in the ER), then reversed the blood thinners (through transfusions and Vit K because I was really anemic by then) and took me back into the OR to put in some stitches. That worked for a while, but then I had to have some supplemental stitches (in the office), and went back into the OR a week later for an overhaul.

The last two procedures were done by a urogyn, who specializes in reconstructive vaginal surgery. She said that the Lovenox works against your body's natural ability to heal itself through clotting and scabbing. The reason why they took me into the OR was to have some working room and to be able to see the area more fully. (Fortunately, I was knocked out for this.) Each time it was an overnight stay. The second OR visit also included a laparoscopy to make sure there wasn't any additional abdominal bleeding.

They may have to wean you off of the blood thinners, even temporarily, in order to do the type of stitching to seal the deal.

The point is, call the doctor any time the blood is bright red and/or fills more than one pad. S/he would rather know that you're having what may be a problem and, especially if you're on blood thinners, can monitor your INR and hemoglobin levels.
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks, danablue..called dr today, have an appt to get checked in the am tomorrow. It's probably nothing, but due to the Lovenox, they want to be sure. Hopefully you are doing better now...sounds like you had a time of it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register