Equestrian activities after hysterectomy. Anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Equestrian activities after hysterectomy. Anyone else? Equestrian activities after hysterectomy. Anyone else?

Unread 03-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Equestrian activities after hysterectomy. Anyone else?

Hi everyone, I am a pretty avid equestrian and of course no riding ( no brainer lol) but I got the clearance to ride at 6 weeks. I've got a month to go but honestly, I think I'll be afraid even then! I'll worry something might shake loose in there! Like I don't know...my bladder. Scary to even think about. Anyone else ride? And if so, when did you and how did it go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Re: Equestrian. Anyone else?

I am a runner and I ride some, but not year round. I was cleared at 5.5 weeks for "all activity" including horses and running. I know there is at least one or two other horse people on this board, so maybe they will chime in...

I guess if you're pleasure riding that's one thing, but if you're barrel racing or riding a hunter-jumper that's another! I completely understand the nervousness. I went out for my first gentle run yesterday... and I am sore inside and out today! I am also analyzing every twinge, checking for spotting... but other than being sore and extra tired (I also did a 2.5 hour drive to a concert last night) I think the first time out was a success. As I was running, it did feel like my insides were sloshing about a little - but maybe that was just my fat!

I will use common sense and proceed with caution, but I don't want to live in fear. If my doctor says I can do something, I'm going to believe her and lace up - or saddle up.

Wishing you a good ride!
Unread 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM

I am 5 weeks, tomorrow, TAH. I run and study classical voice. I have not been released for running yet, but I was released at 2 1/2 weeks for singing. If you don't know, classical voice is a very physical activity. I was very afraid to try until I saw my doc and explained, in detail to her, what it involves. It involves major engagement of ALL abdominal muscles, including the rectal muscles. Proper breath support is impossible without the use of these muscles. I have been practicing regularly, for about 2 1/2 weeks and also started back to my lessons, last week. I have felt good, but when I do practice and engage those muscles, I do find that I am very sore. But I figure those muscles are trying to get themselves back into shape and have a lot of healing to do, yet. I think if your doc knows exactly what you'll be doing, and says ok, then you should be alright. If you try to ride and have issues of any kind, call her. I don't know if this was helpful, but just my perspective and experience, so far, with using those muscles in a major way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2014, 02:09 AM

Ten weeks tomorrow since my surgery. My doctor told me at 6 weeks that I could ride, but I didn't think I was ready. I'm thinking I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Can't wait to get up on my boy again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register