TAH...overweight..so scared...any help? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH...overweight..so scared...any help? TAH...overweight..so scared...any help?

Unread 07-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Re: TAH...overweight..so scared...any help?

19Pink69

I had a TAH-BSO June 29 because of uterine cancer. I weigh 280. No problem! Vertical incision from naval to public hair line. Healing perfectly.

Cancer patients are often given meds to prevent clots, so I had to self inject Lovenox for a few days post-op. No big deal.

I prefer to not use a belly band. It really doesn't bother me as long as I have on my regular cotton briefs.

You can do this. Size makes some of the operation more taxing for the surgeon, but as far as your healing and recovery, there is no reason why things cannot go smoothly for you just like they have for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2009, 08:03 PM

You ladies are wonderful!! I will also be having the verticle incision, since I wasnt able to lose the 100 lbs the doc wanted. I thought the horizontal incision would be less painful since the belly weight wouldnt pull on the incision as much when standing. Regardless, the time has come, Im tired of my life being dependant on tampons and Ibuprofen This has ruled my life long enough! I read things that concern me tho, such as losing your sexual drive if ovaries are removed, and he suggested we removed all of it.
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:40 PM

19Pink69

I'm only 3 weeks out from my operation, but I have read that sex can be just fine after! It can be liberating not to have to worry about bleeding and painful sex and some women with these problems find after surgery sex so much better.

I look at it like it may be different than what was, but I can deal with anything if it means I'm cancer free.
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Hi Rosie, first let me say CONGRATS on cancer free!!! I keep telling myself all will be fine, but still have the normal jitters. Fortunately, my surgeon tells me he is 95% sure there is no cancer, he only mentioned that heavier people are more at risk for clots, which scared the dickens out of me. But I will bring to his attention of maybe taking something as u did, see what he thinks. If he says its not needed, then I will feel even better because then I'll know he only mentioned the clots out of necessity. The more you wonderful gals chime in, the better I feel!! Thanks SOOO much
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:14 AM

While in the hospital, I was given Heparin shots once a day which is used to help prevent blood clots. Also, they put compression devices on each of my legs so that clots would not form. I actually loved the compression device - it felt as though my legs were being massaged!

My doctor also would not put me on HRT right away, the reason being the potential formation of clots (his exact words escape me - he did give me a full explanation behind his reasoning, though). Finally, he told me to walk as much as possible without overdoing it, as well...

Annnndd, this is my sixth week - haven't seen a clot yet...!!

Talk to your doctor, though - he sounds like a good man who will have the right advice for you...
Unread 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Hi 19 Pink,
I just read your post and I'm happy for you that you've had so many positive responses. I have a question though, did your doctor ever recommend Lupron injections to help shrink the fibroid? I've been on it for 3 mos. and I'm hoping that my 20 week PG measured uterus has gone down substaintially. My doctor said it's not effective in all women but at least it will cut down on the amount of blood that's been accumulating over the past 3 mos. If you're not scheduled for surgery yet, and aren't in a hurry to have the surgery, you might want to consider this. Of course, talk to your doctor about it. Wishing you the best of luck.

Lumpygus
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Thanks again for the encouraging posts. Lumpy, no my surgeon never discussed any options with me about shrinking it, we were just doing periodic ultrasounds to cheep check on the growth, but I stopped doing those too. Only thing he discussed was losing enough weight to do the C-section cut. I did finally call his office this morning but I cant get in for an appointment until August 5 But I have researched and found things I want to ask about trying before I have the surgery. I have added the Lupron injections you mentioned to that list. I have also read about Gynecare Thermachoice and Uterine artery emobilization..I want to know if I can do any of these as a temporary fix. My family has vacation planned for the third week of August and I wont cancel that and ruin everyones summer plans, when I know there has to be something out there to help until I can get home for surgery. Even a medicine to help slow or stop bleeding. Hopefully I find out something positive. Thanks so much for all the posts and I must say, if this is what its like to have "sisters", Im loving it
Unread 07-20-2009, 01:39 PM

hello pink!
Honey your story so closely mirrors mine!!! I am overweight, my fibroid was 23 centimeters!My uterus measured out at 6 month pregnancy size! I went through the heavy, painful periods stopping my life and then my gyn said the word "hysterrectomy". I was in a state of anxiety as soon as she did! The night before surgery was the worst.
The good news? I had a TAH on June 8, 2009. Bikini incision. My weight was not any issue at all. I did have low iron counts to battle(we knew this going in as the periods made me very anemic). I had to receive 5 pints of blood over the 2 days following surgery- BUT now 6 weeks after- I am thriving!!! No pain (i never used the morphine pump at all). I will be honest- the worst part of my recovery was a bed sore I picked up while in the hospital(4 days). It has been painful and a lot more to care for than the hysterectomy.
Keep your chin up, you will do fine, and remember- prayer does AMAZING things!!!
Unread 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM

I was about 70 lbs over weight when I had my surgery. I didn't have any problems during the surgery because of weight. There were I few things I wished I would have had at home to make things easier so I learned that. I used a walker for about a week just to take some of the weight off my feet because I did a lot of very slow walking around the house. You can also hook a basket on it & keep your medications & crackers & remote in there so you have everything with you. I loved having a shower bench because that first week I was too tired to stand for very long in the shower. A raised toilet seat would have been nice too. Just some ideas to make it easier. Best wishes.
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:22 PM

I love coming on to find more posts Im learning quite a few things here to make my transition home easier. Ive already started a list of things to take to the hospital. I'll have someone stayin with me because the hospital is quite a ways from home, so I'll have to ask for a private room im sure. Im also thinking mother and I will set up camp for myself in the living room in the recliner. Im thinking it will be much easier to sleep in. I sleep in it alot now when I am having issues. The more I read here, the more comfy I become...so thanks SO much

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register