Am I the only one? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I the only one? Am I the only one?

Unread 01-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Am I the only one?

I've had a myomectomy before. And, I'm hoping that this turns out to be one again (I've given permission for the TAH/BSO if there's any hint of anything ugly on the frozen section or otherwise). Am I worried about that? No, I just don't really expect it to be cancer? Am I worried about the pain? No! I'm worried about being humilated - the shave, the catheter, questions about gas, bowel movements, suppositories, not being able to pee after the catheter is out...humilating all of it for me. The bad part is I know exactly what's coming from that standpoint - same doctor hopefully same surgery. Oh well....I lived before I guess I'll survive again.

I'm single and never even went to a gyn until my sister was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when I was in my late 20's. I'm just the queen of modesty and conservative (think Baptist nun here!) and I just dread the personal questions and interest in my bodily functions! I just hit 40 and I'm not any better about this stuff than I was that first trip to the gyn (ok, maybe a little better). I've always heard that having babies cures all that, but you'd think I'd be better after a gazillion ultrasounds, three hysteroscopies and a myomectomy than I am now. I'm not sure if I want to slam on the breaks or fast forward to getting out of the hospital (and the end of the embarassing questions, etc.). Am I the only one like this? I think you could beat me, kick me, or whatever and I'd rather suffer than than this worrying/dreading stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Am I the only one?

You are not alone.

I am also having a myomectomy, on the 26th. I am more worried about the post-operative humiliation than the surgery itself. My few hospitalizations always had embarrassing moments, and I dread another.

I had two elbow surgeries several years ago. The first was done with a nerve block, but they still put you through the "don't eat or drink after midnight" routine. I was awake for the surgery and had to pee so badly they rolled my bed to the nearest bathroom before going into recovery. They wouldn't let me go in by myself - I had too many things still attached.

The second ended up being done under General. I woke up on the table at the end of the surgery, and had to request a bedpan while they were cleaning up around me before going to recovery. They told me there was no way, after general, I would be able to pee so soon, but they brought one and I proved them wrong.

Nothing like an audience...

So now I'm terrified. I was relieved (no pun intended) to read I would probably have a catheter (I couldn't imagine negotiating a bedpan after abdominal surgery), but now I'm worried what will happen (or won't) when the catheter is removed. (Although given my track record I probably won't have any problems - except getting to the bathroom on time!)

When I had my daughter, she was born so quickly, I tore and bruised badly (I'm very fair-skinned). I had to keep my legs elevated so they could aim a heat lamp at the injured area. The nurses would walk by and whip up the sheets with no warning to take a peek. Needless to say, I was mortified.

I keep telling myself the most embarrassing things will happen when I am unconscious (I hope). I guess I should be used to the rest by now.

I'll be thinking of you Monday. (Well, Sunday night, too, what with bowel prep!) Good luck!

Sousette
Unread 01-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Am I the only one?

Thanks Sousette. Glad to know I'm not alone. I did have the horrifying experience of having to have the catheter put back in when I couldn't pee after the myomectomy. It was one of my many fears last time - and like most of 'em - it came true. The nurse was really nice that did it, and I obviously lived to tell about it, but I'd have exploded before I'd have voluntarily let 'em put it back in. I just hope I'm not psyching myself up for a send verse to THAT song by worrying about it. Hopefully you'll continue your easy peeing ways.

Oh - and you definitely made me feel better with the light story - can't imagine THAT happening on this stay (at least while I'm awake). I'm having a D&C with my surgery, so guess they'll be some humilating moments that I think I'll be asleep for!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register