abdominal or vaginal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abdominal or vaginal abdominal or vaginal

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:32 PM
abdominal or vaginal

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering on what basis doctors decide on whether to do hyst vaginnally or abdominally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:42 PM
abdominal or vaginal

I went in for a vaginal, and when my doctor tried to 'jiggle' my uterus, he found that it was attached to something. I ended up having a TAH --because of my endometriosis--my uterus and bowels were attached. If your uterus comes out easily, it can probably be done vaginally. Good luck.
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:20 PM
abdominal or vaginal

When I asked about having the hyst done vaginally, the gyn said that the uterus was too large due to the number and size and location of the fibroids. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2005, 06:45 AM
abdominal or vaginal

Hi, my dr said that mine had to be abdominal because of precancerous conditions. He had to be able to check out everything around it and make sure that he had gotten everything that looked "supicious".

Best wishes.

s
Unread 08-18-2005, 07:11 AM
abdominal or vaginal

My doctor is doing a vaginal because I have a prolasp. She said it was down already. Recovery time is quicker without an abdominal incission (so I've been told)
Unread 08-18-2005, 07:16 AM
abdominal or vaginal

It depens on your doctor and what he's willing to do or how far he's willing to go. I had LAVH/BSO. I had cyst on ovaries/endometriosis/bleeding. My old C-section [bikini cut] had grown around my bladder. I had 3 small insecions on my belly. This has been so much easer than the bikini cuts I got from my last 2 C-sections. But I knew going in they my have to do a bikini cut. So glad they didn't.I feel great!
Unread 08-20-2005, 08:08 PM
abdominal or vaginal

My doc explained that there are numerous reasons why they pick one over the other. Enlarged uterus or cyst, previous abdominal surgeries, other repairs being done, etc.

Some gyn's have gone thru training to perform an LAVH, which is an alternative to a TAH in some patients. I worried about being forced into an abdominal because of a previous c-section. Fortunately, my doc could do an LAVH and nothing was enlarged so everything could be taken out vaginally.

Your doctor can explain which option is the best one for your situation.
Unread 08-21-2005, 01:08 AM
abdominal or vaginal

There is a third option - a laparoscopic hysterectomy. The ObGyn needs to be specially training in this area so you might find that your surgeon does not do this. My previous gyn did not even mention the third option to me (my uterus was too enlarged for a Vaginal Hyst) and he told me that I had to have the abdominal.

Please do a bit of research - some surgeons do a LAVH (laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal Delivery) or a LH (Laparoscopic Hysterectomy). The first is done laparoscopically with the uterus removed via the vagina and the second is done totally laparoscopically.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register