Any regrets of hysterectomy afterwards? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any regrets of hysterectomy afterwards? Any regrets of hysterectomy afterwards?

Unread 09-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Any regrets of hysterectomy afterwards?

I'm just curious if anyone has had regrets after they had a hysterectomy whether they kept their ovaries or not. I'm keeping my ovaries, I hope, as of now. But have been told that your ovaries will talk to you later, like they're mad at you! You would think they would be glad (if your able to keep them) to have more room. I just don't want any regrets later! I've been hoping for this since I was in my mid teens - thanks to awful periods. Now that it's near (week away) I'm freaking out! I know recovery will be rough. I don't think I or my husband can handle mood swings But I have to remember that maybe if I think positive it won't be so bad & mood swings won't happen. I'm excited just took last birth control pill yesterday.
NO MORE PERIODS AS OF YESTERDAY!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 10:17 AM

Temeben - I know everyone is different, but personally I have had NO problems with keeping my ovaries. Perhaps a tad moody just at first, but no mood swing would have been worse than those I had when i tried the pill for 6 months to get rid of the bleeding (which did not work, by the way). To be honest I have not really read up on the problems that could arise, i figured what will be will be... and I am so utterly happy with my descision to have my hyst. I feel GREAT - 4 months later and it finally has hit... NO MORE BLEEDING!!!! I would go in realizing it may take a few months for your body and hormones to adjust, so do not be frustrated if initially you are not perfect hormone wise.
I wish you luck. You will do great too. Your healing should be like mine - relatively easier compared to a abdominal surgery. I know its scary but don't freak out. Just think... all those pains will be gone and you will feel like a new woman after all these years.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
Unread 09-30-2007, 11:33 AM

I had a TAH three months ago and kept my ovaries and haven't had any problems or noticed any difference moodwise. I don't have the heavy bleeding and cramps anymore so I'm bound to be easier to get along with. I have NO regrets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 12:18 PM

I have had absolutely NO regrets since I had my hysterectomy! None! At all! I have been documenting my ovulation since I had it, and I have ovulated every month since I had the surgery. (I know by the ovulation pain and which side) I have had a few 'hot flashes' I guess they were..I am not sure..I work in a hot place, so I can't be sure! LOL I don't miss the mood swings, the headaches, the crampiness, the aches and pains, the whole nine yards. The benefits are all that I know! It has been heavenly. The only part that I wish I could fix is the insomnia. I have a lot of problems falling asleep and staying asleep. Other than that, it has been terrific.
Unread 09-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Schnowzerz-
I didn't know you still ovulate if you've had a hysterectomy. I'm wanting that to be GONE!! I'm glad to know it's all worth it as of now!!
Unread 09-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Temben, yes, if you do have your ovaries, you will ovulate. I still have my tubes also, since the only thing that was messed up was my uterus/cervix. My doc said I probably have about 8 to 10 years left of my ovulation, so that was worth it to keep them.
Unread 09-30-2007, 03:38 PM

I have NO regrets at all I feel better than I have in years. My ovaries have been damaged for years so they needed to go I have been flashing and sweating for years so I am use to that. I am on hormones the patch is working great at the moment. I can wear as much white as I want to and I don't have to plan a vacation around a period. No more painful sex the cervix is gone thank God. My life is good now and I love it.
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:09 PM

I am only about one month removed from the surgery and I have no regrets at this point. The surgery was an easy decision for me. I honestly believe that if you are 100% behind any procedure or medical intervention, you will have a more positive outcome.

I opted not to keep the ovaries due to horrendous migraine issues which have eased up considerably in the last month. I don't have moods, flashes, or insomnia. I do have an occasional nightsweat but have pretty much figured out how to curb those.

This journey really has a lot to do with attitude and confidence in your medical providers. I have elevated my gyno to near-Sainthood!

Best wishes....I know you will do the 'right' thing; whatever you decide that will be.
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:58 PM

I was diagnosed with fibroids 1999 after having heavy bleeding and in 2001 discovered they were the cause of back pain/pressure. We treated it on/off with birth control pills/ring which caused me bloating and weight gain. After a 3rd opinion last March, my new Dr. gave me every option with pros/cons. Finally in July I said I'm ready for an LAVH. The week before surgery I became anxious. The morning of surgery before leaving for the 'castle' I said to my DH "I'm wondering if I should go through it...my pain is not so bad."..he replied, "I was wondering too if it was necessary". I was having a sinking feeling of doubt. Once at the hospital, I still had doubts and anxiety was building. I told the admitting nurse I'm having anxiety. She inserted the IV and talked to me about my work, etc. Next thing I knew, I was waking up to the words "Surgery is over, you can wake up now". I was so relieved and at peace. I woke up with a smile and waved at the other ladies in the room. I have NO REGRETS! I'm so happy now. My recovery was perfect and my doctor was wonderful. I'm still in week 2, but I have minimal pain. I rest a lot and everyday I am SO GLAD I did it. I occassionally ask myself why I did it, and I answer to myself: No more gushing blood, no more hormones from pills/ring, no more pressure/pain, better bladder, etc. I'm so happy.
I am certain however, that if I went into it without researching all my options I may have had some regrets. But now I'm certain I made the best decision.
Unread 09-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Hi Temben!

If you're interested in learning what life is like for members who are one, two, or many years post-op, a good forum in which to do some reading is here:

Beyond the Land of Hyster

Two weeks or even two months post-op is really not enough time to make a wise and sound "final evaluation" of the surgery, because many post-hyst issues don't materialize until quite some time down the road.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Many s to you,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register