Can fibroids or cysts be causing my nausea and bloating? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can fibroids or cysts be causing my nausea and bloating? Can fibroids or cysts be causing my nausea and bloating?

Unread 12-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Can fibroids or cysts be causing my nausea and bloating?

I am scheduled for my TLH on Jan 20th with BSO. For the past year I have been having issues with nausea, dizziness, bloating, burping, etc. My docs just keep saying I'm going into menopause (I'm 51) and I know these are all signs of perimenopause. My last "regular" period was back in Jan and they've been sporadic ever since. All these issues started around mid-Jan. Then in April they found fibroids (small), ovarian cysts (a couple that were about 1-2cm), enlarged uterus and thickened endometrial lining. I am on Tamoxifen for breast cancer so my doc decided on hysterectomy. I elected watchful waiting with TVUS for a few months. All got better for a while but now it's all back and doc says no more waiting. In the last few months, my nausea, bloating and especially burping are all back. I bloat up around 7 or 8pm every night, start feeling nauseous and then burp like crazy till I go to bed. I sleep good and wake up with no bloating feeling really good and start all over again. My question is....can my fibroids/cysts/enlarged uterus be the cause of all this? My doc seemed reluctant to attribute my issues to these things, I think cause he doesn't want me to get my hopes up that surgery will help. I am not worried at all about surgery (had lots in the last couple years with BC) but am deathly afraid of surgical menopause. I figure if all my issues are due to menopause then surgery will make them 10 times worse. But if all are due to fibroids, etc, then surgery will help. Otherwise, my options are none of the above and I am clueless on how to start feeling better!! Anyone else have these issues before hysterectomy and have surgery actually resolve them? Or did the surgery cause a whole host of other issues like hot flashes, etc which fortunately I don't have much problem with right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Re: Can fibroids or cysts be causing my nausea and bloating?

All I can tell u is my experience to date I am 10days post op from LAVH for multiple large fibroids. Over the years about 4 I had been told I had ibs, more recently told I was gluten intolerant, my symptoms were more or less the same as yours. 10days post op and nothing not once have I blown up like an umpa lumpa, no burping, no pain??? So altho my dr said these weren't symptoms that could be attributed to fibroids I have to say in my experience they were!!!! Thigh pains and chest pains too. If everything inside is being compressed and squashed it has to impact somewhere along the line surely??? I feel great I feel healthy and I haven't felt like this since I don't know when, I had got so used to living in pain and discomfort that it was my norm and I expected that. Now however I can truly look back with no regrets and think that wasn't a life I was just existing day to day. Xxx
Unread 12-28-2014, 04:39 PM

I am 43 so kept ovaries but said a fond farewell to everything else!! 😘
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2014, 05:19 PM

I had nausea, bloating and feeling of fullness with my tumor. It was laying on my stomach. So everytime I ate, I would have the symptoms. So it is possible that the fibroids are causing the problem.
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:14 AM

thanks so much for the info ya'll!! My doc says my fibroids are small, but I also have ovarian cysts, a slightly enlarged uterus (enough to warrant concern) and a thickened endo lining so I'm thinking all those things combined might be causing my problems. I also need to pee alot more frequently which he says is just old age!!! I do love my doc but he kinda poo poos some of my thoughts. Says I spend too much time on Google!
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:55 AM

My first symptom was peeing all the time!! The doc said it was from my BP pills. Not.... Never had that problem before..
Unread 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Take no notice it's your body you know it best. I am amazed at what symptoms have disappeared, urticaria, peeing, hives, ibs, gluten intolerance, bad leg circulation, back pain, bleeding, chest pains, fatigue......yes I'm recovering but I can finally see light/ a life at the end of the tunnel xx
Unread 12-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Wow!! That's impressive. You have given me great hope that this surgery is the best thing I can do for myself. I've spent the last year moping around feeling crappy and I'm hopeful for a much better 2015. I'm feeling much more prepared. Might I ask....did ya'll have someone come help you other than a significant other? My hubby says he can handle anything but I know him pretty well and he's not the real caregiving type. My sister in law has offered, and she did help me with my mastectomy and was a godsend!. But I hear I don't need her to spend the night at the hospital with me like I did with the mastectomy. How many days after TLH could you shower alone or blow dry your hair or fix a sandwich or bowl of cereal? I'm thinking 3 or 4 days and then I can send her on her way? Or should I tell her not to bother coming and leave it up to hubby to step up (not that I'd let him with some more "intimate" things!)
Unread 12-30-2014, 04:13 AM

Hi again
I have been pretty self sufficient since day 3 post op, I could make a cuppa and sarnie with ease, I haven't cooked a full meal yet but I could if I needed to. Bathed on 3rd day post op with hubby's supervision just getting in and out, but bathed alone everyday ever since. I don't do sitting and being waited upon very well lol. I would say 5days should b more than sufficient it sounds like you have a good relationship with her and the company and support is nice too and sometimes needed for the sanity check. The gas is the worst, I took stool softeners from the day b4 op as uk doesn't give u a bowel prep. From waking up I took wind eze and stool softeners whenever I ate. And I drank water about 2.5lts a day for a week.
I didn't honestly believe that this would help I believed I was grabbing at straws for a magical cure, and whilst there are no guarantees I can say hand on heart I feel great!! Xxx
Unread 12-30-2014, 04:18 AM

Only me again lol, you ask any question Hun and I will endeavour to answer you ASAP. I in U.K. so think time difference plays a role, I not easily shocked either so anything goes 😘😘😘

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register