Any Single Sisters-to-be out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Single Sisters-to-be out there? Any Single Sisters-to-be out there?

Unread 11-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Any Single Sisters-to-be out there?

Hi.

I am 36, divorced, and scheduled for a TAH on 10-Nov (next Wednesday am!). Is there anyone else out there that has done this without a significant other to help? It seems like each post I read there are DHs alongside them. I'm not jealous, really, just wondering how singles and/or single parents got through this?

I'm starting to feel extremely guilty for the time my mother ( a God send) is about to spend taking care of my boys and me!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Tamra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 10:37 AM
single and heading for a TAH

Hi, tlynlewis. I'm a single mom of two boys (13 and 15) and am 7 days post-op. I'm very independent, so it takes a lot for me to ask for help. But, trust me...you should ask for help!!! I have found through my friends that they feel very good about helping. My mom passed away in June from ovarian cancer, so it was hard to go through this without her. But I'm getting there! My sons have been fantastic through this also!! You need to take care of YOU, so grab ahold of your mom and enjoy the time you'll have together!!

Take care!
Tammra
Unread 11-05-2004, 12:36 PM

Oh boy, do I ever empathize! I am 47 and single, with no older children to help, either. Never married, in fact.

Fortunately, my sister in Boston offered to come and help for a few days. She has a 9-year-old, so couldn't stay for long. She arrived at noon on a Wednesday - the day I was discharged - and left on a Sunday afternoon. My brother from Minneapolis arrived that same Sunday and left the following Thursday. So, I had onsite help for about a week after coming home from the hospital.

I probably could've done okay without my brother, but the extra few days of someone cooking for me and running errands was still welcome. It would've been really tough those first few days home without my sister there.

Once my brother left, I was on my own. I did fine. For the next few days, friends and neighbors stopped by and helped with taking garbage out and dropping off a few groceries or meals. But by 2 and 1/2 weeks post-op, I was driving and taking care of myself.

I was fortunate that I had a good recovery - no complications. But, if you have onsite help for at least a week and then friends who can help here and there for the next week or two, you may do just as well as I did.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 11:29 PM

Hi
I'm in the same situation--single, no partner, no children, never been married, etc. I'm wondering how I will get through this on my own. I am not even sure I can line someone up to take care of me the first couple of days I'll be home from the hospital--my kind friends who invited me to stay with them (before they knew the date of my surgery, which is Dec. 14) realized they'll be away till late on the 17th.
I have to say I was glad to see your post because I was beginning to get the idea that everyone else on the list had a husband and/or children and/or parents to help them. My mom died of ovarian cancer in '95, my father will be admitted to a nursing home this coming Tuesday (plenty of stress there--and he's 1000 miles away), and my two cats haven't learned the finer points of human care (though I love to have them around).

I'm eager to hear more advice and experience from other singles out there.

kirinphoebe

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register