Question about driving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about driving Question about driving

Unread 03-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Question about driving

Hi Sisters! I'm sched. for TVH on March 21st and have just a couple of questions to ask. My dh will be able to stay home with me until the 26th. He has to leave that day and be gone overnight. Is that too soon to be on my own with 2 kids (one is 4 and other is 11)? Also, I will have to drive my 11 yr old to school on the 27th. Is that too soon to drive. I will be asking my dr. at my pre-op appt. on Friday, but thought I'd ask here first since everyone here is so helpful.

Thanks,
Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Question about driving

Hi connie,
I also will be having a TVH on March 22nd, I had my pre-op on Tuesday and was told no driving for 2 to 3 weeks. I also have 2 childreen 3 and 6 and was told no lifting for 6 to 8 weeks. I know we are all different so I would talk to your doctor and also maybe see if you can get a friend or family member to help for a couple days. I wish you luck with everything and hope for a speedy recovery for you!!!
Jen
Unread 03-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Question about driving

I was told I could drive in a week, but I haven't so far. I'm going to take my daughter to school tomorrow, though. I thought I would go out and drive around the neighborhood later today and see which vehicle is more comfortable to drive. We have the old work car and my husband's truck.
Your 11 year old can be a lot of help while your DH is away. Could you maybe have a friend or relative take him to school if you're not ready to drive yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Question about driving

WHAT???? No driving for 2 to 3 weeks??? What is the reason for that? *snifff*
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Question about driving

I was not allowed to drive for 2 weeks, but your doctor will be giving you guidelines as to your activity restrictions.

Regarding your husband being gone 5 days after your surgery and having 2 kids to take care of... I would strongly recommend you have someone stay with you. In addition to feeling sore, gassy and tired, you will not be allowed to lift much much of anything (cooking & caring for kids logistical challenges). At 5 days post-op, I was barely taking care of myself let alone confident that I could handle whatever came up with the kids, dog and house.

I hope many women will post to this thread so you can get an idea of the variety of experiences that women face after hysterectomy surgery. One of the main things I have learned from this website, is that each recovery is a unique journey, not to be measured by against another person's experience. It's good that you are exploring pre-op questions to ask your doctor.

Mary
Unread 03-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Question about driving

My surgeon let me drive after two weeks, for women that have had TAH the reason it may be two weeks or longer before you can drive is because your respond time is off. You may have to break real quick the muscles and nerves are not healed you could rip your incision or tear your cuff. Your abdomen is still numb the groin area also we have to be very careful. When you do start back driving make the trips short then work your way up.
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Question about driving

When I had my TVH, I was told no driving for 2 weeks. I tried a very short trip at that time and decided it was too soon for me. I was tired and sore when I got home. I never realized the muscles we use when driving. It was much more comfortable for me at 3 weeks.

You also shouldn't drive while taking pain medication.

s, Deb
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Question about driving

As we all know we heal differently and the surgery effects each of us differently.

I had a TAH on 1/31, I was home on 2/2. I was told no driving for 1-2 weeks, but you know what life happens and sometimes you have to bend the rules. I was driving on 2/4.

I have a 13 year old son who is very responsible and reliable that he was able to help me out a lot.

My DH did not take any time off to be home with me (my request, I do not need a babysitter). He was at the hospital the day of the surgery. He had to work (military, drill weekend) on 2/3-2/5.

I was mentally ready for this surgery so I think that helped with me recovery.

The most important thing is to take care of yourself. If you are not up to driving, do not. If you need help with your 4 year old, get help.
Unread 03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Question about driving

I drove my daughter to school this morning, in the truck, and did fine. It's only about 3 miles and nearly a straight shot. It felt good to be doing something normal again!
Unread 03-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Question about driving

I was allowed to resume driving after a week. I remember it well - I drove my jacket to the drycleaners and then drove myself home (about 1 mile all told).

I then took a NAP!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register