Hysterectomy Cancelled - Low hemoglobin - Anyone Else need IV Iron To be Cleared? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy Cancelled - Low hemoglobin - Anyone Else need IV Iron To be Cleared? Hysterectomy Cancelled - Low hemoglobin - Anyone Else need IV Iron To be Cleared?

Unread 04-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Re: Hysterectomy Cancelled - Low hemoglobin - Anyone Else need IV Iron To be Cleared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsy View Post
Oh wow! I hope you feel better soon. They typed and screened me for blood. I'm hoping i don't need it. But it's good to know it's available just incase.
Some symptoms still but way better. I got up 3 days after surgery and was very dizzy, tired and had tunnel vision. I wasn't symptomatic prior. I was able to walk around and such. I was still in hospital then. Within half of the first transfusion I felt better. I go to my GP sat to discuss blood work. I didn't think I'd need blood either. Glad it was available. I had a covering surgeon from post op day 3-5. He was refusing to give me blood initially. Says his cut off was 8. My GP had come by that morning and said your pale, you need a transfusion. He assisted in my surgeon and knew I lost over a litre of blood just in what they measure. Nurses wanted me to have blood. When my surgeon came back he said he'd considered giving me blood the morning after surgery just based in blood loss, not even symptoms yet. The covering surgeon was a jerk too though. Hated dealing with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Hysterectomy Cancelled - Low hemoglobin - Anyone Else need IV Iron To be Cleared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debetable70 View Post
Some symptoms still but way better. I got up 3 days after surgery and was very dizzy, tired and had tunnel vision. I wasn't symptomatic prior. I was able to walk around and such. I was still in hospital then. Within half of the first transfusion I felt better. I go to my GP sat to discuss blood work. I didn't think I'd need blood either. Glad it was available. I had a covering surgeon from post op day 3-5. He was refusing to give me blood initially. Says his cut off was 8. My GP had come by that morning and said your pale, you need a transfusion. He assisted in my surgeon and knew I lost over a litre of blood just in what they measure. Nurses wanted me to have blood. When my surgeon came back he said he'd considered giving me blood the morning after surgery just based in blood loss, not even symptoms yet. The covering surgeon was a jerk too though. Hated dealing with him.
I was symptomatic. That's why the IV iron i think. I had extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, and restless legs. I saw the doctor on a Monday. Tuesday i had 4 episodes of becoming dizzy and clammy and almost passing out. I got my first IV iron the next day on a Wednesday. I have had no further episodes of almost passing out after receiving the iron. But i had my pre-op blood work done Monday this week and i am on my period now. I hope i don't drop too much from the period.
Unread 04-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Re: Hysterectomy Cancelled - Low hemoglobin - Anyone Else need IV Iron To be Cleared?

Wow kalsy, your iron must have been quite low. I have no idea what my iron is. I get dizzy, nauseous, fatigued, shortness of breath but not clammy except the couple times I almost fainted. I get really hot all of a sudden. You must be feeling so much better now. Do you take iron supplements at home too? I have liquid iron b/c it absorbs better but not allowed to start it yet b/c my bowels still not retrained to go properly. Hope I can start soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Hysterectomy Cancelled - Low hemoglobin - Anyone Else need IV Iron To be Cleared?

Quote:
Wow kalsy, your iron must have been quite low. I have no idea what my iron is. I get dizzy, nauseous, fatigued, shortness of breath but not clammy except the couple times I almost fainted. I get really hot all of a sudden. You must be feeling so much better now. Do you take iron supplements at home too? I have liquid iron b/c it absorbs better but not allowed to start it yet b/c my bowels still not retrained to go properly. Hope I can start soon.
My family doctor said she wants me to take iron for a year after i have the hysterectomy. But i haven't started it yet. I don't have an appointment to see her again. But i know she wants to see me after the surgery. I have to pick up a prescription she gave me for GERD today. I will see if she gave me iron too. I don't know yet.
Unread 05-01-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNewman View Post
anyone have to take IV iron treatments to raise hemoglobin levels to be cleared for surgery ? If so how many and how lond did it take to raise your levels? My surgery just got cancelled because of this :/
When I started down my journey in February, the anemia is what kept me from being able to have my surgery. My hemoglobin was at a 6. I have a blood disorder that keeps my baseline low to begin with, but those levels were too low to do much with.

I had to do an IV Infusion & I had UFE to stop the fibroids from bleeding. I'm probably never going to get to a 10, but as of today my surgery is scheduled for 5/20. (My fibroids are so large that the UFE won't shrink them enough, so hysterectomy still necessary.)

Sorry your procedure got cancelled but I after being told how dangerous it was with low iron levels, it's really a good precaution. Hopefully it'll happen soon.
Unread 05-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
My family doctor said she wants me to take iron for a year after i have the hysterectomy. But i haven't started it yet. I don't have an appointment to see her again. But i know she wants to see me after the surgery. I have to pick up a prescription she gave me for GERD today. I will see if she gave me iron too. I don't know yet.
Meds for GERD ( PPI's) can interfere with iron absorption just so you are aware. I've been on meds forever for GERD. Had a large surgery to repair my esophagus and hiatal hernia so I could get off the meds. My esophagus was still raw on them and I suffered bad. I'm doing a 1000 times better but back on PPI's unfortunately. You're not suppose to vomit ( many can't) after the surgery I had. I ended up vomiting with gallbladder attacks, surgery and a flu. I have not been checked recently for damage to my surgical site. It can come undone. I have developed some reflux and regurgitation again. Maybe ask your dr about it. Many drs are not well educated on PPI's and iron etc.
Unread 05-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Meds for GERD ( PPI's) can interfere with iron absorption just so you are aware. I've been on meds forever for GERD. Had a large surgery to repair my esophagus and hiatal hernia so I could get off the meds. My esophagus was still raw on them and I suffered bad. I'm doing a 1000 times better but back on PPI's unfortunately. You're not suppose to vomit ( many can't) after the surgery I had. I ended up vomiting with gallbladder attacks, surgery and a flu. I have not been checked recently for damage to my surgical site. It can come undone. I have developed some reflux and regurgitation again. Maybe ask your dr about it. Many drs are not well educated on PPI's and iron etc.
Thanks. I will ask her when i see her. I picked up my omeprazole yesterday and no iron. I'm thinking she isn't starting me on the iron because she said it interferes with the IV iron. She even stopped my multivitamin before i started the IV iron. She may think they might give me more IV iron in the hospital??? I don't know. Maybe she just forgot. I will ask her that too. I'm sorry you had such a rough time.
Unread 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November2nd View Post
When I started down my journey in February, the anemia is what kept me from being able to have my surgery. My hemoglobin was at a 6. I have a blood disorder that keeps my baseline low to begin with, but those levels were too low to do much with.

I had to do an IV Infusion & I had UFE to stop the fibroids from bleeding. I'm probably never going to get to a 10, but as of today my surgery is scheduled for 5/20. (My fibroids are so large that the UFE won't shrink them enough, so hysterectomy still necessary.)

Sorry your procedure got cancelled but I after being told how dangerous it was with low iron levels, it's really a good precaution. Hopefully it'll happen soon.
I'm surprised they didn't give you blood with auch a low hemoglobin. My doctor said he wont operate if it's beliw 9.
Unread 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I will ask her when i see her. I picked up my omeprazole yesterday and no iron. I'm thinking she isn't starting me on the iron because she said it interferes with the IV iron. She even stopped my multivitamin before i started the IV iron. She may think they might give me more IV iron in the hospital??? I don't know. Maybe she just forgot. I will ask her that too. I'm sorry you had such a rough time.
My hematologist stopped my oral iron after my iv infusion. It's not uncommon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register